Life expectancy of cycling shoes?

neilkod

Sep 8, 2003
I've been wearing Specialized Sport Mountain shoes for about 6 months and have logged approximately 1200 miles in them via mountain biking and spinning.

Lately, my feet are starting to hurt during my rides.

My position/technique haven't changed much as far as I can tell. I'm thinking my shoes may be the culprit; could they be overused and no longer provide the support that they used to?

I'm wondering how long I can expect my shoes to 'last'. This is my first pair of cycling shoes and I want to know if what I'm experiencing is in line with a low-end pair of shoes.

Originally posted by neilkod
I've been wearing Specialized Sport Mountain shoes for about 6 months and have logged approximately 1200 miles in them via mountain biking and spinning.

My position/technique haven't changed much as far as I can tell. I'm thinking my shoes may be the culprit; could they be overused and no longer provide the support that they used to?

I'm wondering how long I can expect my shoes to 'last'. This is my first pair of cycling shoes and I want to know if what I'm experiencing is in line with a low-end pair of shoes.
try getting some replacement insoles.

What pedal system are you using? If an element of your pedal or cleat is wearing down, it could be allowing for some subtle shift or roll that's straining your foot. Might you be due for a fresh cleat?

Originally posted by lokstah
What pedal system are you using? If an element of your pedal or cleat is wearing down, it could be allowing for some subtle shift or roll that's straining your foot. Might you be due for a fresh cleat?

Interesting point...I'm using SPD cleats. A former dealer said my cleats look ok.

From what its worth, this feels like another bout with plantar fasciatis(sp).

Interesting point...I'm using SPD cleats. A former dealer said my cleats look ok.

From what its worth, this feels like another bout with plantar fasciatis(sp).
That doesn't sound good. There are probably two approaches at this point, and they're both important: 1) figure out if your hardware (shoe, pedal, cleat) is the problem, and consider replacing certain elements or trying new models/makes. 2) figure out what the heck is wrong with your foot, from an anatomical/medical perspective.

Hope you figure it out. If not, just pump your feet full of cortizone or novocaine before heading out; gotta have priorities, ya know.

Just kidding, of course. Good luck.

If your shoes are flexing too much, it could cause problems.
FYI, I've found orthotics worked really well for my plantar fascitis. It was gone for many years but now I have bone spurs ... sigh.

Good luck,
Tim

Originally posted by lumpy
If your shoes are flexing too much, it could cause problems.
FYI, I've found orthotics worked really well for my plantar fascitis. It was gone for many years but now I have bone spurs ... sigh.

Good luck,
Tim

I normally wear orthotics but they seemed uncomfortable in my cycling shoes, compared with wearing them in basketball shoes.

The shoes flex a little, again I have no baseline because this is my first pair of cycling shoes.

Carnac make a nice footbed that moulds to your foot - they fixed foot aches associates from my road shoes without having to go to orthotics. I have also used ski-boot footbeds in my mountain bike shoes (and fly-fishing wading boots) to great effect.