Life of a shock? How long do they last

Joseph Jozwik

Guest
This is a high variable question. What would be the average life for a shock. years' including
rebuilding.. does this totally depend on the model and brand?

"Joseph Jozwik" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> This is a high variable question. What would be the average life for a shock. years' including
> rebuilding.. does this totally depend on the
model
> and brand?

I think there is too many variables to give a good answer. I run a lizard skin on my Cane Creek
shock to keep the seals clean and haven't had to rebuild it yet (it's got 3 complete seasons on it
and about 2100 off road miles). Sand destroys seals. Keep it clean or wrap that rascal.

Greg

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 20:50:01 -0500, "Joseph Jozwik" <[email protected]> wrote:

>This is a high variable question. What would be the average life for a shock. years' including
>rebuilding..

You're right this is a high variable question.

>does this totally depend on the model and brand?

No

I've had good results with Manitou. You can say I pretty much punished that fork, "SXr", but
maintained it very well with nothing but oil changes. Never leaked, never broke, never stuck. Rode
it for almost 3 years. It's a very basic well made fork, 2000 model.

I'm sure the "Bomberhood" will chime in out this with their opinions also.

Unless you get a lemon you can probably be safe with just about any Susp fork.

You can also go rigid as an option. Rigid mean on suspension in case you didn't know. I'm found
going back to the basics is quite eye opening. The technology is very good for susp forks, but I'm
finding simpler is better for my riding style, also less chance for lemons.

Have fun whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you.

Peace, Bill (trying a new more "nurturing" technique)Wheeler

;-)

P.S. Don't listen to anything Slacker says until he removes that blasphemous sig.

:-]

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 20:50:01 -0500, "Joseph Jozwik" <[email protected]> wrote:

>This is a high variable question. What would be the average life for a shock. years' including
>rebuilding.. does this totally depend on the model and brand?

asdfasdfasd

"Baxter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

| "Joseph Jozwik" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
| > This is a high variable question. What would be the average life for
| > shock. years' including rebuilding.. does this totally depend on the
| model
| > and brand?
|
| I think there is too many variables to give a good answer. I run a
lizard
| skin on my Cane Creek shock to keep the seals clean and haven't had to rebuild it yet (it's got 3
| complete seasons on it and about 2100 off road miles). Sand destroys seals. Keep it clean or wrap
| that rascal.

And I had a Fox shock destroyed by a Lizardskin because it trapped dirt (during rides) and scoured
the hell out of the shock.

Go figure.

--
Pete Fagerlin

http://www.petefagerlin.com

I bought the newest Marzocchi Z0 and it has 12 volts. I upgraded it with a 9 volt battery (the wierd
ones that you can stick your tongue on and taste stuff). How long do you think it will last now that
it has 21 volts? I am thinking of upgrading a little more.

Tim

PS - Thanks for helping me out here.

> On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 20:50:01 -0500, "Joseph Jozwik" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >This is a high variable question. What would be the average life for a shock. years' including
> >rebuilding..
>
> You're right this is a high variable question.

I agree with Mr Wheeler on this one. FWIW, when you look at it it's so variable as to be almost
unpredictable. Mud, grit, sand, dust, wet or dry, hot or cold, lizard skins or bare, scratches on
the surfaces, weight of the rider, correct pressures and adjustments, riding style and jumps or lack
of, crashes and their related unusual torque or forces, how many times a week you ride and where and
how, the type of bike and geometry, not to mention the minute manufacturing flaws involved.......
How can you have so many variables and make an accurate prediction on how long it might last? I
suppose the manufacturers have some idea. Like anything else, name brands usually have name for a
reason (and a decent warranty if things go wrong.) The rest? Take your chances as usual. I'd
certainly expect to get a couple or three years use out of mine even without much maintenance...

Westie

<snip>

> Peace, Bill (trying a new more "nurturing" technique)Wheeler
>
> ;-)
>
> P.S. Don't listen to anything Slacker says until he removes that blasphemous sig.
>

> The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
> give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
> :-]

Thanks That Helps... I think i just needed to get a new shock.. I could no longer taste it :-( Joe

"Tim Burgher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I bought the newest Marzocchi Z0 and it has 12 volts. I upgraded it with
> 9 volt battery (the wierd ones that you can stick your tongue on and taste stuff). How long do you
> think it will last now that it has 21 volts? I
am
> thinking of upgrading a little more.
>
> Tim
>
> PS - Thanks for helping me out here.

"Tim Burgher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I bought the newest Marzocchi Z0 and it has 12 volts. I upgraded it with
> 9 volt battery (the wierd ones that you can stick your tongue on and taste stuff). How long do you
> think it will last now that it has 21 volts? I
am
> thinking of upgrading a little more.

Funny thing is... the Cannondale Lefty w/ ELO actually runs off of a 9 volt battery.

-John Morgan
--
To reply, please remove NOSPAM from the return address.

> "Tim Burgher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I bought the newest Marzocchi Z0 and it has 12 volts. I upgraded it with
> > 9 volt battery (the wierd ones that you can stick your tongue on and taste stuff). How long do
> > you think it will last now that it has 21 volts? I
> am
> > thinking of upgrading a little more.
>
> Funny thing is... the Cannondale Lefty w/ ELO actually runs off of a 9 volt battery.
>
> -John Morgan
> --
> To reply, please remove NOSPAM from the return address.

That's a matter of opinion.
--
_________________________

What? If you are not kidding explain that to me. If you are, silly me.

Tim

"> > Funny thing is... the Cannondale Lefty w/ ELO actually runs off of a 9 volt
> > battery.
> >
> > -John Morgan
> > --
> > To reply, please remove NOSPAM from the return address.
>
> That's a matter of opinion.
> --
> _________________________
> Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia

Hmm, according to the Cannondale tech. who gave a workshop on Headshok suspension, that is what
they are powered by, so as to be easily servicable. I'm not sure where opinion comes into the
equation here.

-John Morgan
--
To reply, please remove NOSPAM from the return address.

"John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "> > Funny thing is... the Cannondale Lefty w/ ELO actually runs off of a
9
> volt
> > > battery.
> > >
> > > -John Morgan
> > > --
> > > To reply, please remove NOSPAM from the return address.
> >
> > That's a matter of opinion.
> > --
> > _________________________
> > Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
>
> Hmm, according to the Cannondale tech. who gave a workshop on Headshok suspension, that is what
> they are powered by, so as to be easily
servicable.
> I'm not sure where opinion comes into the equation here.
>
> -John Morgan
> --

I believe he was disparaging the fork as actually running at all. I did take one for a little spin
once (on a Scapel) and it felt pretty good and the lock out was rock solid with a push of a little
button on the bar. I don't think I'd own one but it was 'different'.

Mike

> "> > Funny thing is... the Cannondale Lefty w/ ELO actually runs off of a 9 volt
> > > battery.
> > >
> > > -John Morgan
> > > --
> > > To reply, please remove NOSPAM from the return address.
> >
> > That's a matter of opinion.
> > --
> > _________________________
> > Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
>
> Hmm, according to the Cannondale tech. who gave a workshop on Headshok suspension, that is what
> they are powered by, so as to be easily servicable. I'm not sure where opinion comes into the
> equation here.
>
> -John Morgan
> --
> To reply, please remove NOSPAM from the return address.

John you need to turn you taking things literally button off. "Matter of opinion" means that it's a
matter of opinion if it actually works or not.
--
_________________________

> > Hmm, according to the Cannondale tech. who gave a workshop on Headshok suspension, that is what
> > they are powered by, so as to be easily
> servicable.
> > I'm not sure where opinion comes into the equation here.
> >
> > -John Morgan
> > --
>
> I believe he was disparaging the fork as actually running at all. I did take one for a little spin
> once (on a Scapel) and it felt pretty good and the lock out was rock solid with a push of a little
> button on the bar. I don't think I'd own one but it was 'different'.
>
> Mike

The question is did it really need to run off batteries. Just what I need in -20C weather. My Bomber
also feels pretty good with 5wt. oil and no solar panels.
--
_________________________

> > "> > Funny thing is... the Cannondale Lefty w/ ELO actually runs off of
a 9
> > volt

> > > That's a matter of opinion.
> > > --
> > > _________________________
> > > Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
> >
> > Hmm, according to the Cannondale tech. who gave a workshop on Headshok suspension, that is what
> > they are powered by, so as to be easily
servicable.
> > I'm not sure where opinion comes into the equation here.
> >
> > -John Morgan
>
> John you need to turn you taking things literally button off. "Matter of opinion" means that it's
> a matter of opinion if it actually works or not.

Sorry, the 9v battery that runs that switch is out of juice. =P

-John Morgan
--
To reply, please remove NOSPAM from the return address.

"Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The question is did it really need to run off batteries. Just what I need in -20C weather. My
> Bomber also feels pretty good with 5wt. oil and no solar panels.
> --

Didn't get that from your comment but I agree. Bikes are getting complicated enough without putting
electronics in them.

Mike - Keep your SS comments to yourself Bill. ;^)