Life of Tires

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Clair Reid, Jun 10, 2003.

  1. Clair Reid

    Clair Reid Guest

    Hi. How does one know when bike tires need replacement?. I have a Rans Stratus which came with Primo
    tires. Have about 2000 miles on the tires. About 90% on blacktop roads, no off trail. How many miles
    can I expect to get on these tires before they need replacement? many thanks. Phil..

    Tags:

  2. Depends; 1 weight of the rider
    2. weight distribution
    3.Tire compound and width
    4. Probably something else I can't think of at 5:30 in the morning. In my experience I ride them
    until I can just I see a tire cord. I'm a big guy @250 pounds and for a rear tire that is usually
    ~ 1200 miles. A front tire will last much longer perhaps 3000 miles. I ride road tread or slick
    tires. For me, a rear tire will start to wear a flat surface at around 800 miles. I ride a SWB
    Giro. I believe a wider tire will wear longer, generally I ride 1 1/4 inch tires When you've got
    that many miles on a tire, inspect them before each ride. Hope this helps Denny in Sayre, Pa
    "Bent but not Broken" www.recumbentstuff.com

    "Clair Reid" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi. How does one know when bike tires need replacement?. I have a Rans
    Stratus
    > which came with Primo tires. Have about 2000 miles on the tires. About 90% on blacktop roads, no
    > off trail. How many miles can I expect to get on
    these
    > tires before they need replacement? many thanks. Phil..

  3. "Denny Voorhees" skrev...
    > Depends; 1 weight of the rider
    > 2. weight distribution
    > 3.Tire compound and width
    > 4. Probably something else I can't think of at 5:30 in the morning.

    Also loaded touring tends to wear tires a lot faster, so changing to new before a longer trip is
    probably wise.

    M.

  4. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Jobst Brandt has written occasionally on the subject over on news:rec.bicycle.tech.

    There is so much folklore on the attributes of tires that it will be hard to separate lies from
    lore. I usually replace my rear tire (80/20 weight distribution) annually out of an excess of
    caution. Annually means about 5000 miles. I use the slickest, widest and heaviest adequately
    pressure rated tires that I can find.

    My most recent previous front tire went about 10,000 miles and was replaced primarily due to
    cracks/dry rot.