LIfe wouldn't be the same without...

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by cathyxyz, Feb 9, 2006.

  1. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    ..... in no particular order....

    Pandora - the "artistic one"
    Bob (this one) taking on the whole world (and our friend Chung)
    Wayne B - posting all sorts of nice recipes and the occasional OT...
    Melba's Jammin' - well - just jammin' and holding the occasional "dead
    spread" review
    Michael (Dog3) L - sharing his expriences
    Andy - the "joker"
    sf - being the voice of reason - well mostly....
    Om - being generally polite and funny
    Dave Smith - the politician
    Peter Aitkin - the "boxer"
    modom - the pix man
    The two "dee's" - very nice gals
    Greg M - one the many shelly fans
    Nancy Young - very cool
    Margaret Suran - love her advice and stories
    Dan Abel - nice guy
    Joseph Littleshoes - usually makes sense
    Ophelia - sense of humor lady
    Damsel - off-line at present, but "she'll be back"
    Shaun - the chili king
    Sheldon - the boob man - sparring with Pandora (and most of the group)

    and last, but not least:
    Switch/Barry/Mr Tibbs - whatever - keeping us all "stirred up"

    ..... and anybody I forgot - you know who you are.

    Thanks for keeping me out of mischief and entertained ;)

    OBFood:

    -= Exported from BigOven =-

    Danish Mussels

    Recipe By:
    Serving Size: 1
    Cuisine: Uncategorized
    Main Ingredient: Seafood-Other
    Categories: White wine, Wine, Onion, Mayo, Seafood, Appetizers

    -= Ingredients =-
    1 Onion (Medium); Chopped
    1 bunch Fresh Dill; Chopped
    2 Bay Leaves
    6 Red Pepper Flakes; (Or More
    1/2 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
    2 cups Dry White Wine
    2 pounds Mussels
    1 teaspoon Salt
    2 tablespoons Acuavit (Scandinavian
    1/3 cup Mayonnaise
    Sandwich Bread As Needed;

    -= Instructions =-
    1. In a large, non-corrosive pan, combine onion, 3/4 of the dill, bay
    leaves, red pepper flakes, pepper, wine and 3 cups water. Bring liquid
    to a boil, lower heat and simmer 10 minutes. Strain into a clean pan.
    (If desired, recipe may be done ahead to this point. Refrigerate broth
    and mussels) 2. Rinse (do not soak) mussels and remove wirelike
    beards if visible. Add salt and aquavit to the broth and bring to a
    boil. Add the mussels, cover and cook over medium-high heat until
    shells have opened, 3 to 5 minutes. 3. Remove pan from heat and
    discard mussels whose shells remain closed. Remove remaining mussels
    from their shells and discard shells. 4. Mix mayonnaise with most of
    remaining dill (reserving some for garnish) and, if desired, aquavit
    to taste. Place mayonnaise in a small bowl (or spread on toasted
    bread). Place bowl on a plate and surround with the mussels, each one
    (or, depending on size, a pair) speared with a toothpick; or cut each
    slice of toast into 6 pieces and top each with a mussel. Transfer to a
    platter, garnish with remaining dill and serve.

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    "cathyxyz" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > .... in no particular order....
    >
    > Pandora - the "artistic one"
    > Bob (this one) taking on the whole world (and our friend Chung)
    > Wayne B - posting all sorts of nice recipes and the occasional OT...
    > Melba's Jammin' - well - just jammin' and holding the occasional "dead
    > spread" review
    > Michael (Dog3) L - sharing his expriences
    > Andy - the "joker"
    > sf - being the voice of reason - well mostly....
    > Om - being generally polite and funny
    > Dave Smith - the politician
    > Peter Aitkin - the "boxer"
    > modom - the pix man
    > The two "dee's" - very nice gals
    > Greg M - one the many shelly fans
    > Nancy Young - very cool
    > Margaret Suran - love her advice and stories
    > Dan Abel - nice guy
    > Joseph Littleshoes - usually makes sense
    > Ophelia - sense of humor lady
    > Damsel - off-line at present, but "she'll be back"
    > Shaun - the chili king
    > Sheldon - the boob man - sparring with Pandora (and most of the group)
    >
    > and last, but not least:
    > Switch/Barry/Mr Tibbs - whatever - keeping us all "stirred up"
    >
    > .... and anybody I forgot - you know who you are.
    >
    > Thanks for keeping me out of mischief and entertained ;)

    That was well done, thank you! <lol>
    --
    Peace, Om.

  3. Ophelia

    Ophelia Guest

    "cathyxyz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > .... in no particular order....
    >
    > Pandora - the "artistic one"
    > Bob (this one) taking on the whole world (and our friend Chung)
    > Wayne B - posting all sorts of nice recipes and the occasional OT...
    > Melba's Jammin' - well - just jammin' and holding the occasional
    > "dead
    > spread" review
    > Michael (Dog3) L - sharing his expriences
    > Andy - the "joker"
    > sf - being the voice of reason - well mostly....
    > Om - being generally polite and funny
    > Dave Smith - the politician
    > Peter Aitkin - the "boxer"
    > modom - the pix man
    > The two "dee's" - very nice gals
    > Greg M - one the many shelly fans
    > Nancy Young - very cool
    > Margaret Suran - love her advice and stories
    > Dan Abel - nice guy
    > Joseph Littleshoes - usually makes sense
    > Ophelia - sense of humor lady
    > Damsel - off-line at present, but "she'll be back"
    > Shaun - the chili king
    > Sheldon - the boob man - sparring with Pandora (and most of the
    > group)
    >
    > and last, but not least:
    > Switch/Barry/Mr Tibbs - whatever - keeping us all "stirred up"
    >
    > .... and anybody I forgot - you know who you are.
    >
    > Thanks for keeping me out of mischief and entertained ;)

    Not forgetting cheeky wee Cathy :p

  4. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "cathyxyz" <[email protected]> wrote

    > .... in no particular order....

    (smile) I was like ... uh oh ... this could leave a mark ...
    Thanks for the nice words. Made me happy.

    nancy

  5. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "cathyxyz" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Subject: LIfe wouldn't be the same without...
    > From: "cathyxyz" <[email protected]>
    > Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
    >
    > .... in no particular order....
    >
    > Pandora - the "artistic one"
    > Bob (this one) taking on the whole world (and our friend Chung)
    > Wayne B - posting all sorts of nice recipes and the occasional OT...
    > Melba's Jammin' - well - just jammin' and holding the occasional "dead
    > spread" review
    > Michael (Dog3) L - sharing his expriences
    > Andy - the "joker"
    > sf - being the voice of reason - well mostly....
    > Om - being generally polite and funny
    > Dave Smith - the politician
    > Peter Aitkin - the "boxer"
    > modom - the pix man
    > The two "dee's" - very nice gals
    > Greg M - one the many shelly fans
    > Nancy Young - very cool
    > Margaret Suran - love her advice and stories
    > Dan Abel - nice guy
    > Joseph Littleshoes - usually makes sense
    > Ophelia - sense of humor lady
    > Damsel - off-line at present, but "she'll be back"
    > Shaun - the chili king
    > Sheldon - the boob man - sparring with Pandora (and most of the group)
    >
    > and last, but not least:
    > Switch/Barry/Mr Tibbs - whatever - keeping us all "stirred up"
    >
    > .... and anybody I forgot - you know who you are.
    >
    > Thanks for keeping me out of mischief and entertained ;)

    And not to forget Jill!

  6. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    Andy wrote:

    > And not to forget Jill!

    Oops.I know, I know - the "Soup Queen". Please read the fine print - I
    did say "and anybody I forgot" I apologise to Jill.

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz) - taking cover under a cabbage leaf ;)

  7. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

> [...]
    > (If desired, recipe may be done ahead to this point. Refrigerate broth
    > and mussels) 2. Rinse (do not soak) mussels and remove wirelike
    > beards if visible. Add salt and aquavit to the broth and bring to a
    > boil. Add the mussels, cover and cook over medium-high heat until
    > shells have opened, 3 to 5 minutes. 3. Remove pan from heat and
    > discard mussels whose shells remain closed. Remove remaining mussels
    > from their shells and discard shells. 4. Mix mayonnaise with most of
    > remaining dill (reserving some for garnish) and, if desired, aquavit
    > to taste. Place mayonnaise in a small bowl (or spread on toasted
    > bread). Place bowl on a plate and surround with the mussels, each one
    > (or, depending on size, a pair) speared with a toothpick; or cut each
    > slice of toast into 6 pieces and top each with a mussel. Transfer to a
    > platter, garnish with remaining dill and serve.

    Cath, thanks for this recipe! It sounds wonderful and I adore mussels - on
    men and in shells!

    kili <g>

  8. Lisa Ann

    Lisa Ann Guest

  9. On Thu 09 Feb 2006 01:43:50p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it cathyxyz?

> [...]
    > (If desired, recipe may be done ahead to this point. Refrigerate broth
    > and mussels) 2. Rinse (do not soak) mussels and remove wirelike
    > beards if visible. Add salt and aquavit to the broth and bring to a
    > boil. Add the mussels, cover and cook over medium-high heat until
    > shells have opened, 3 to 5 minutes. 3. Remove pan from heat and
    > discard mussels whose shells remain closed. Remove remaining mussels
    > from their shells and discard shells. 4. Mix mayonnaise with most of
    > remaining dill (reserving some for garnish) and, if desired, aquavit
    > to taste. Place mayonnaise in a small bowl (or spread on toasted
    > bread). Place bowl on a plate and surround with the mussels, each one
    > (or, depending on size, a pair) speared with a toothpick; or cut each
    > slice of toast into 6 pieces and top each with a mussel. Transfer to a
    > platter, garnish with remaining dill and serve.

    A very nice assessment, Cathy. You're a very welcome friend here!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  10. On 10 Feb 2006 01:14:18 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

    >On Thu 09 Feb 2006 01:43:50p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it cathyxyz?
    >
    >> .... in no particular order....
    >>
    >> Pandora - the "artistic one"
    >> Bob (this one) taking on the whole world (and our friend Chung)
    >> Wayne B - posting all sorts of nice recipes and the occasional OT...
    >> Melba's Jammin' - well - just jammin' and holding the occasional "dead
    >> spread" review
    >> Michael (Dog3) L - sharing his expriences
    >> Andy - the "joker"
    >> sf - being the voice of reason - well mostly....
    >> Om - being generally polite and funny
    >> Dave Smith - the politician
    >> Peter Aitkin - the "boxer"
    >> modom - the pix man
    >> The two "dee's" - very nice gals
    >> Greg M - one the many shelly fans
    >> Nancy Young - very cool
    >> Margaret Suran - love her advice and stories
    >> Dan Abel - nice guy
    >> Joseph Littleshoes - usually makes sense
    >> Ophelia - sense of humor lady
    >> Damsel - off-line at present, but "she'll be back"
    >> Shaun - the chili king
    >> Sheldon - the boob man - sparring with Pandora (and most of the group)
    >>
    >> and last, but not least:
    >> Switch/Barry/Mr Tibbs - whatever - keeping us all "stirred up"
    >>
    >> .... and anybody I forgot - you know who you are.
    >>
    >> Thanks for keeping me out of mischief and entertained ;)

    >A very nice assessment, Cathy. You're a very welcome friend here!

    Boo hoo.....
    I didn't make the list.... ;(

    Christine, the rfc map lady.

  11. Christine Dabney wrote:

    > On 10 Feb 2006 01:14:18 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    > <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>On Thu 09 Feb 2006 01:43:50p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it cathyxyz?
    >>

    >>>.... in no particular order....
    >>>
    >>>Pandora - the "artistic one"
    >>>Bob (this one) taking on the whole world (and our friend Chung)
    >>>Wayne B - posting all sorts of nice recipes and the occasional OT...
    >>>Melba's Jammin' - well - just jammin' and holding the occasional "dead
    >>>spread" review
    >>>Michael (Dog3) L - sharing his expriences
    >>>Andy - the "joker"
    >>>sf - being the voice of reason - well mostly....
    >>>Om - being generally polite and funny
    >>>Dave Smith - the politician
    >>>Peter Aitkin - the "boxer"
    >>>modom - the pix man
    >>>The two "dee's" - very nice gals
    >>>Greg M - one the many shelly fans
    >>>Nancy Young - very cool
    >>>Margaret Suran - love her advice and stories
    >>>Dan Abel - nice guy
    >>>Joseph Littleshoes - usually makes sense

    "usually"?

  12. Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

    > Christine Dabney wrote:
    >
    >> On 10 Feb 2006 01:14:18 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    >> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>> On Thu 09 Feb 2006 01:43:50p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    >>> cathyxyz?

    > "usually"?

    oh right, 'typos' flower for flour and bowels for bowls and probly a few
    i have forgot.

    >>> A very nice assessment, Cathy. You're a very welcome friend here!

    >> Boo hoo.....
    >> I didn't make the list.... ;(
    >> Christine, the rfc map lady.

  13. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

    > > "usually"?

    > oh right, 'typos' flower for flour and bowels for bowls and probly a few
    > i have forgot.

    :)

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  14. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    Christine Dabney wrote:

    > Boo hoo.....
    > I didn't make the list.... ;(
    >
    > Christine, the rfc map lady.

    Sorry Christine ;) Whatever happened to that map anyway? I saved the
    link, but it don't work any more... pity.

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  15. dee

    dee Guest

    cathyxyz wrote:
> [...]
    > (If desired, recipe may be done ahead to this point. Refrigerate broth
    > and mussels) 2. Rinse (do not soak) mussels and remove wirelike
    > beards if visible. Add salt and aquavit to the broth and bring to a
    > boil. Add the mussels, cover and cook over medium-high heat until
    > shells have opened, 3 to 5 minutes. 3. Remove pan from heat and
    > discard mussels whose shells remain closed. Remove remaining mussels
    > from their shells and discard shells. 4. Mix mayonnaise with most of
    > remaining dill (reserving some for garnish) and, if desired, aquavit
    > to taste. Place mayonnaise in a small bowl (or spread on toasted
    > bread). Place bowl on a plate and surround with the mussels, each one
    > (or, depending on size, a pair) speared with a toothpick; or cut each
    > slice of toast into 6 pieces and top each with a mussel. Transfer to a
    > platter, garnish with remaining dill and serve.

    Thank you! Lol... The feelings are mutual! I would like to say I
    particularly enjoy those pics from you all. I might try to post some
    (probably of someone else cooking) if I ever get round to it.

  16. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    Thank you for "the artistic" :)
    Cheers
    Pandora
    P.S.
    (A very interesting list)
    -----------------------------

    "cathyxyz" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]
> [...]
    > (If desired, recipe may be done ahead to this point. Refrigerate broth
    > and mussels) 2. Rinse (do not soak) mussels and remove wirelike
    > beards if visible. Add salt and aquavit to the broth and bring to a
    > boil. Add the mussels, cover and cook over medium-high heat until
    > shells have opened, 3 to 5 minutes. 3. Remove pan from heat and
    > discard mussels whose shells remain closed. Remove remaining mussels
    > from their shells and discard shells. 4. Mix mayonnaise with most of
    > remaining dill (reserving some for garnish) and, if desired, aquavit
    > to taste. Place mayonnaise in a small bowl (or spread on toasted
    > bread). Place bowl on a plate and surround with the mussels, each one
    > (or, depending on size, a pair) speared with a toothpick; or cut each
    > slice of toast into 6 pieces and top each with a mussel. Transfer to a
    > platter, garnish with remaining dill and serve.

  17. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    kilikini wrote:

    > Cath, thanks for this recipe! It sounds wonderful and I adore mussels - on
    > men and in shells!
    >
    > kili <g>

    Heh heh. We love mussels too - they are tasty and pretty good value for
    money IMHO.. We tried this one the other day - it was very good. Found
    it while snooping around on the net...Here it is if you are interested:

    -= Exported from BigOven =-

    Midia Sahanaki (Greek Recipe for Mussels)

    Recipe By:
    Serving Size: 1
    Cuisine: Greek
    Main Ingredient: Seafood-Other
    Categories: Tomato, Parsley, Oregano, Olive oil, Cheese, Seafood, Greek

    -= Ingredients =-
    1 kilogram Mussels (fresh if
    200 grams Feta cheese
    Green chilli (to taste,
    1 large Tomato
    Parsley
    Oregano
    Olive oil
    Water

    -= Instructions =-
    THE MESSY BIT: Wash the mussels individually (dont forget behind the
    ears!!), making sure no pieces of shell are still attached, and no sand
    is left in the flesh. Also remove the tiny thread you sometimes find
    in them - it is reported to be irritating to the stomach if ingested.
    THE GOOD BIT: When the mussels are thoroughly washed and checked, put
    them in a pan and add just enough water to cover them. Bring to the
    boil, and boil for about five minutes. Then add three tablespoonfuls
    of olive oil, and the chilli chopped into ringlets, as well as a
    handful of not-too-finely chopped parsley. Grate the tomato, with or
    without the skin, it is up to you, and add. Add the salt and pepper
    (not too much salt, the mussels have their own). Boil for another
    fifteen minutes (but not longer - the mussels will toughen up if
    boiled too long - theyre funny that way!). About three minutes before
    taking the pan off the heat, add the feta broken up into small pieces
    and stir. Add the oregano just before you remove the pan from the
    heat. THE GREATEST BIT: Taste it...

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  18. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    Pandora wrote:
    > Thank you for "the artistic" :)
    > Cheers
    > Pandora
    > P.S.
    > (A very interesting list)

    :) I Like looking at food pics - and your food always looks good. Pity
    we can't smell it and taste it too!

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  19. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > That was well done, thank you! <lol>

    Glad you liked it ;) Good morning, BTW...

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  20. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    Ophelia wrote:

    > Not forgetting cheeky wee Cathy :p

    Who, moi, Cheeky?

    Sorry to answer all the posts backwards, but a) I am not really awake
    yet and b) our normal newsfeed has been down since Monday - the excuse
    is firewall problems <sigh> so I have been using Google groups.... and
    c) Google has just changed their user interface - looks much more
    "pretty" but is confusing the hell outta me. And OMG, they have added
    a "rating" system for each post! I shudder to think how many wars
    that's gonna start..... take a peek and you will see what I mean...

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)