Lifespan of Merckx Team SC

Supersonic

Sep 25, 2005
To those of you who own a Merckx Team SC and race on it:

How often do you replace your frame & fork given no crashes or defects?

I have a Team SC and have raced on it hard for 2 1/2 seasons now (15-20 races/season). It has not taken any blows in serious crashes and is in pretty nice condition. Together with training and racing I have probably logged close to 20,000 miles on this frame/fork.

I am just wondering if or when I should consider investing in a new Merckx frame/fork.

Supersonic said:
To those of you who own a Merckx Team SC and race on it:

How often do you replace your frame & fork given no crashes or defects?

I have a Team SC and have raced on it hard for 2 1/2 seasons now (15-20 races/season). It has not taken any blows in serious crashes and is in pretty nice condition. Together with training and racing I have probably logged close to 20,000 miles on this frame/fork.

I am just wondering if or when I should consider investing in a new Merckx frame/fork.
When it breaks. ;) But given the 'street wisdom' of a 3 year life for Aluminum frames,you have about 6 months to find a sucker.

boudreaux said:
When it breaks. ;) But given the 'street wisdom' of a 3 year life for Aluminum frames,you have about 6 months to find a sucker.

Pls elaborate on the "street wisdom". What happens to an alu frame after 3 years? Does it simply lose its zip, or is it also more prone to breaking?

Supersonic said:
Pls elaborate on the "street wisdom". What happens to an alu frame after 3 years? Does it simply lose its zip, or is it also more prone to breaking?
It's another way of saying BS. No one knows how long something is going to last.

boudreaux said:
It's another way of saying BS. No one knows how long something is going to last.

You or anyone aware of the studies or research on the supposed lifespan of aluminum frames? Or is this all just a bunch of mythology?

Supersonic said:
You or anyone aware of the studies or research on the supposed lifespan of aluminum frames? Or is this all just a bunch of mythology?
You got it...Find something else to worry about.