Lifespan of viruses

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Squiggles, Feb 28, 2004.

  1. Squiggles

    Squiggles Guest

    Is it possible for viruses to stay in the body chronically? I keep sneezing every morning and
    sometimes through the day - it feels like I always have a cold that never goes away-- with
    intermittent fever esp. at night. And gastro stuff; i don't know what the **** is wrong with me.

    I saw my doctor and he doesn't know either.

    Squiggles

    Tags:

  2. Squiggles

    Squiggles Guest

    Squiggles wrote:

    > Is it possible for viruses to stay in the body chronically? I keep sneezing every morning and
    > sometimes through the day - it feels like I always have a cold that never goes away-- with
    > intermittent fever esp. at night. And gastro stuff; i don't know what the **** is wrong with me.
    >
    > I saw my doctor and he doesn't know either.
    >
    > Squiggles

    You know - - i think it may very well be air pollution - it started about 3 yrs. ago when the
    gasoline shortage crisis began and at a time when the SUVs used a LOT of gasoline and emitted more
    into the air - the use of leaded gasoline may have become a covert economic necessity... if it's
    pollution, that may very well explain why it is not easily detectable by any doctor;

    Squiggles

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    "Squiggles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is it possible for viruses to stay in the body chronically? I keep sneezing every morning and
    > sometimes through the day - it feels like I always have a cold that never goes away-- with
    > intermittent fever esp. at night.

    How do you know you have a fever?

    A lot of times, I feel like I have a fever. When I take my temperature, it is actually a little low
    (like 97 or 97.5). (Normal temperature was originally determined to be about 98.2, not 98.6). What I
    think is happening, my brain is telling me my body temperature is too high and I feel warm. Feeling
    feverish is not the same thing as having a fever.

    As far as the fever is concerned, you really need to measure your temperature in a consistant way
    (orally, under the thoung without anything to drink for the previous 1/2 hour or something like
    that). Too bad you can't buy a pill-shaped probe you can swallow with a radio transmitter in them
    (they make them, but they are not widely available yet).

    With just the above information, it sounds like chronic allergies are a problem (perhaps for mold or
    dust mights or other insects). The other things that come to mind are sinus problems and infections
    like TB and fungus infections (in the lungs).

    Again, you need to work with your doctor on this.

    Jeff

    > And gastro stuff; i don't know what the **** is wrong with me.
    >
    > I saw my doctor and he doesn't know either.
    >
    > Squiggles

  4. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    "Squiggles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Squiggles wrote:
    > >
    > > Is it possible for viruses to stay in the body chronically? I keep sneezing every morning and
    > > sometimes through the day - it feels like I always have a cold that never goes away-- with
    > > intermittent fever esp. at night. And gastro stuff; i don't know what the **** is wrong with me.
    > >
    > > I saw my doctor and he doesn't know either.
    > >
    > > Squiggles
    >

    > You know - - i think it may very well be air pollution - it started about 3 yrs. ago when the
    > gasoline shortage crisis began and at a time when the SUVs used a LOT of gasoline and emitted more
    > into the air - the use of leaded gasoline may have become a covert economic necessity... if it's
    > pollution, that may very well explain why it is not easily detectable by any doctor;
    >
    > Squiggles

    No one uses lead anymore in the US. The reason they got rid of the lead is the pollution. But lead
    also destroys catalytic converters. So it is very expensive to use (a gallon causes like $1000 in
    damage). All that lead buys you is higher octane rating (actually, I never understood the chemistry
    behind the lead or even the octane rating -- I will have to go and ask Tom and Ray, I guess). So
    there really is not much advantage to using lead and major disadvantages.

    I doubt they use leaded gas anywhere in North America or Europe on a regular basis, and it is
    probably pretty rare in most other countries.

    There was another advantage which is that the lead acted to help protect the exhaust values in
    engines -- but that was fixed by making the material in exhaust valves harder. For antique cars, you
    can actually buy an additive to add to unleaded gas, but it is far more expensive than the gas. On
    older cars from the 60s and 70s, you can also replace the valves and seats. But, that is expensive.

    Jeff

  5. Squiggles

    Squiggles Guest

    Thanks for your reply Jeff,

    Actually, that is exactly what my dr. advised - that i check the temperature - to see if it is
    objective or not. I sometimes "feel" hot and even sweat -- so i think it is objective though i have
    not used the thermometer regularly. I have something like rhinorrhea and dry mucous membranes at the
    same time.

    As for the gizmo - sounds neat but reserved for CIA staff :)

    It may be mould in the house, or allergy - we do have 4 animals in the house. Maybe a thorough
    spring cleaning with bleach will be a good test?

    Squiggles

  6. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    "Squiggles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Thanks for your reply Jeff,
    >
    > Actually, that is exactly what my dr. advised - that i check the temperature - to see if it is
    > objective or not. I sometimes "feel" hot and even sweat -- so i think it is objective though i
    > have not used the thermometer regularly. I have something like rhinorrhea and dry mucous membranes
    > at the same time.
    >
    > As for the gizmo - sounds neat but reserved for CIA staff :)
    >
    > It may be mould in the house, or allergy - we do have 4 animals in the house. Maybe a thorough
    > spring cleaning with bleach will be a good test?

    I don't think so. Dust mites and stuff are really hard to get rid of . The dust mites are everywhere
    (in carpets, furniture fabric, beds, etc.). There are steps you can take to minimize the impact, but
    I don't really know what they are. It sounds like you should talk with your doctor about this. It
    might be allergies and working with an allergist is the way to go. And if it is allergies to mold
    (or other mold problems), that is tough to tackle, too.

    Besides, I never had to do this, so I don't know all the steps. Plus the steps will be different if
    you live in a large apartment building vs. living a standalone house, and in alaska vs hawaii.

    Jeff

    > Squiggles

  7. Squiggles

    Squiggles Guest

    Jeff wrote:

    OK - thanks - i will mention it to my doctor next time again; it is not life-threatening after all -
    gad, read the news of horror in Haiti today - i live in paradise, allergies are flowers.

    Squiggles

  8. Mxsmanic

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Squiggles writes:

    > Actually, that is exactly what my dr. advised - that i check the temperature - to see if it is
    > objective or not. I sometimes "feel" hot and even sweat -- so i think it is objective though i
    > have not used the thermometer regularly.

    I had something that _felt_ just like the flu a few month's ago, and I felt certain that I had a
    raging fever, but when I actually checked my temperature, it was normal. And whatever it was, it was
    gone the next day (so it could not have actually been influenza, as far as I know).

  9. David Wright

    David Wright Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Squiggles <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Is it possible for viruses to stay in the body chronically?

    Sure. The chickenpox you get as a kid can leave you with viruses wrapped around your nervous system
    that wake up forty years later and give you shingles.

    >I keep sneezing every morning and sometimes through the day - it feels like I always have a cold
    >that never goes away-- with intermittent fever esp. at night. And gastro stuff; i don't know what
    >the **** is wrong with me.

    As I think you said later, the sneezing could well be allergy.

    -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net These are my opinions only, but they're almost always
    correct. "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my
    shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)