Lifetime Frame Warranty - What does it really mean ?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Ray, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. Ray

    Ray Guest

    I had an unfortunate mishap on the way home tonight. The rear drop on
    the drive side broke away from the frame leaving that side of the axle
    loose and free.

    Fortunately I think my pack rack avoided a nasty collapse of the rear
    axle as it is holding it all together. If it did collapse I would have
    been in a world of pain as I was coming quite fast down onto a low
    bridge and turning at the same time.

    My question is what holds up as a frame warranty?

    Cheers Ray

    Tags:

  2. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    Ray <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I had an unfortunate mishap on the way home tonight. The rear drop on
    > the drive side broke away from the frame leaving that side of the axle
    > loose and free.

    > Fortunately I think my pack rack avoided a nasty collapse of the rear
    > axle as it is holding it all together. If it did collapse I would have
    > been in a world of pain as I was coming quite fast down onto a low
    > bridge and turning at the same time.

    > My question is what holds up as a frame warranty?

    > Cheers Ray

    The definition varies between manufacturer but generally it appears
    that it's far less than what the average person expects it to be.

    It may also be affected by how much use the bike's had. I think
    manufacturers generally don't think that, say, riding 50kms every day
    for years is within the realms of acceptable use.

    Anyway, last year one of the seat post lugs on my frame cracked
    so that it couldn't hold the seatpost tight anymore. I took it
    back to the shop where I bought it and after some 'discussion'
    I managed to get the frame repaired for free.

    This is on a 5 year old steel Bianchi frame. AFAIK, the retailer
    got it fixed by Kevin Wigham (Paconi) at his cost and the repair
    had nothing to do with Bianchi or their distributor.

    I spose the bottom line is, give it a go and mention things like
    'fair trading', 'merchantable quality' and 'fit for purpose'.

    If it's a steel frame the repair probably won't be difficult.

    Cheers.
    --
    Nick

  3. Ray wrote:
    > My question is what holds up as a frame warranty?
    > Cheers Ray

    I always wondered if the lifetime was your's or the frame's. Perhaps the
    frame's lifetime is over.

    John Retchford

    --

  4. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "John Retchford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]
    > I always wondered if the lifetime was your's or the frame's. Perhaps

    the
    > frame's lifetime is over.

    Trek's and Ellsworth's lifetime warranty applies
    only to the original owner afaik, so if you snuff it
    before the bike, your other half can't suddenly
    start hucking it, crash and get a replacement...

    ;-)
    hippy

  5. mikeg

    mikeg Guest

    John Retchford wrote:
    > I always wondered if the lifetime was your's or the frame's. Perhaps the
    > frame's lifetime is over.
    > John Retchford

    Whenever I see lifetime warranty I am compelled to snicker or laugh - if
    it breaks of fails then they can say it is at the end of it's lifetime.

    you wonder whether it really means anything at all !!!

    MG

    --

  6. Hippy wrote:
    > [BTrek's and Ellsworth's lifetime warranty applies only to the original
    > owner afaik, so if you snuff it before the bike, your other half can't
    > suddenly start hucking it, crash and get a replacement...
    > ;-) hippy

    The warranty on my bicycle frame lasts for both my life and the life o
    the frame builder. But in this case, these two people are the same

    John Retchfor

    -

  7. Ray

    Ray Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, usenet-
    [email protected] says...
    > John Retchford wrote:
    > > I always wondered if the lifetime was your's or the frame's. Perhaps the
    > > frame's lifetime is over.
    > > John Retchford

    > Whenever I see lifetime warranty I am compelled to snicker or laugh - if
    > it breaks of fails then they can say it is at the end of it's lifetime.
    >
    > you wonder whether it really means anything at all !!!
    >
    > MG

    Thanks all for your comments.

    As it turns out I went back to the bike store and without any hesitation
    they said no problems, we will replace it. Didn't even want to see the
    receipt!
    Even better they are going to replace the steel frame with an alloy
    frame at no cost!
    Pick up the "new" bike tomorrow :)

    I was stunned to say the least :)

    Cheers Ray

  8. DRS

    DRS Guest

    Ray <[email protected]> wrote in message
    [email protected]
    > I had an unfortunate mishap on the way home tonight. The rear drop on
    > the drive side broke away from the frame leaving that side of the axle
    > loose and free.
    >
    > Fortunately I think my pack rack avoided a nasty collapse of the rear
    > axle as it is holding it all together. If it did collapse I would have
    > been in a world of pain as I was coming quite fast down onto a low
    > bridge and turning at the same time.
    >
    > My question is what holds up as a frame warranty?

    "Lifetime" is for the purpose of warranties is defined by law as twenty-five
    years.

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  9. Jose Rizal

    Jose Rizal Guest

    Ray:

    > Even better they are going to replace the steel frame with an alloy
    > frame at no cost!

    Is that really better? There is a lot to be said for steel frames.