Lifetime Frame Warranty - What does it really mean ?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Ray, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. Ray

    Ray Guest

    I had an unfortunate mishap on the way home tonight. The rear drop on the drive side broke away from
    the frame leaving that side of the axle loose and free.

    Fortunately I think my pack rack avoided a nasty collapse of the rear axle as it is holding it all
    together. If it did collapse I would have been in a world of pain as I was coming quite fast down
    onto a low bridge and turning at the same time.

    My question is what holds up as a frame warranty?

    Cheers Ray

    Tags:

  2. Nickzx6r

    Nickzx6r Guest

    Ray <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I had an unfortunate mishap on the way home tonight. The rear drop on the drive side broke away
    > from the frame leaving that side of the axle loose and free.

    > Fortunately I think my pack rack avoided a nasty collapse of the rear axle as it is holding it all
    > together. If it did collapse I would have been in a world of pain as I was coming quite fast down
    > onto a low bridge and turning at the same time.

    > My question is what holds up as a frame warranty?

    > Cheers Ray

    The definition varies between manufacturer but generally it appears that it's far less than what the
    average person expects it to be.

    It may also be affected by how much use the bike's had. I think manufacturers generally don't think
    that, say, riding 50kms every day for years is within the realms of acceptable use.

    Anyway, last year one of the seat post lugs on my frame cracked so that it couldn't hold the
    seatpost tight anymore. I took it back to the shop where I bought it and after some 'discussion' I
    managed to get the frame repaired for free.

    This is on a 5 year old steel Bianchi frame. AFAIK, the retailer got it fixed by Kevin Wigham
    (Paconi) at his cost and the repair had nothing to do with Bianchi or their distributor.

    I spose the bottom line is, give it a go and mention things like 'fair trading', 'merchantable
    quality' and 'fit for purpose'.

    If it's a steel frame the repair probably won't be difficult.

    Cheers.
    --
    Nick

  3. John Retchford

    John Retchford New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2004
    I always wondered if the lifetime was your's or the frame's. Perhaps the frame's lifetime is over.

    John Retchford

  4. mikeg

    mikeg New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2003
    Whenever I see lifetime warranty I am compelled to snicker or laugh - if it breaks of fails then they can say it is at the end of it's lifetime.

    you wonder whether it really means anything at all !!!

    MG

  5. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "John Retchford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]...
    > I always wondered if the lifetime was your's or the frame's. Perhaps
    the
    > frame's lifetime is over.

    Trek's and Ellsworth's lifetime warranty applies only to the original owner afaik, so if you snuff
    it before the bike, your other half can't suddenly start hucking it, crash and get a replacement...

    ;-) hippy

  6. John Retchford

    John Retchford New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2004
    The warranty on my bicycle frame lasts for both my life and the life of the frame builder. But in this case, these two people are the same.

    John Retchford

  7. Ray

    Ray Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, usenet- [email protected] says...
    > John Retchford wrote:
    > > I always wondered if the lifetime was your's or the frame's. Perhaps the frame's lifetime is
    > > over. John Retchford
    >

    > Whenever I see lifetime warranty I am compelled to snicker or laugh - if it breaks of fails then
    > they can say it is at the end of it's lifetime.
    >
    > you wonder whether it really means anything at all !!!
    >
    > MG

    Thanks all for your comments.

    As it turns out I went back to the bike store and without any hesitation they said no problems, we
    will replace it. Didn't even want to see the receipt! Even better they are going to replace the
    steel frame with an alloy frame at no cost! Pick up the "new" bike tomorrow :)

    I was stunned to say the least :)

    Cheers Ray

  8. Drs

    Drs Guest

    Ray <[email protected]> wrote in message [email protected]
    > I had an unfortunate mishap on the way home tonight. The rear drop on the drive side broke away
    > from the frame leaving that side of the axle loose and free.
    >
    > Fortunately I think my pack rack avoided a nasty collapse of the rear axle as it is holding it all
    > together. If it did collapse I would have been in a world of pain as I was coming quite fast down
    > onto a low bridge and turning at the same time.
    >
    > My question is what holds up as a frame warranty?

    "Lifetime" is for the purpose of warranties is defined by law as twenty-five years.

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  9. Jose Rizal

    Jose Rizal Guest

    Ray:

    > Even better they are going to replace the steel frame with an alloy frame at no cost!

    Is that really better? There is a lot to be said for steel frames.