Lifetime Frame Warranty - What does it really mean ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ray

I had an unfortunate mishap on the way home tonight. The rear drop on the drive side broke away from
the frame leaving that side of the axle loose and free.

Fortunately I think my pack rack avoided a nasty collapse of the rear axle as it is holding it all
together. If it did collapse I would have been in a world of pain as I was coming quite fast down
onto a low bridge and turning at the same time.

My question is what holds up as a frame warranty?

Cheers Ray

Ray <[email protected]> wrote:
> I had an unfortunate mishap on the way home tonight. The rear drop on the drive side broke away
> from the frame leaving that side of the axle loose and free.

> Fortunately I think my pack rack avoided a nasty collapse of the rear axle as it is holding it all
> together. If it did collapse I would have been in a world of pain as I was coming quite fast down
> onto a low bridge and turning at the same time.

> My question is what holds up as a frame warranty?

> Cheers Ray

The definition varies between manufacturer but generally it appears that it's far less than what the
average person expects it to be.

It may also be affected by how much use the bike's had. I think manufacturers generally don't think
that, say, riding 50kms every day for years is within the realms of acceptable use.

Anyway, last year one of the seat post lugs on my frame cracked so that it couldn't hold the
seatpost tight anymore. I took it back to the shop where I bought it and after some 'discussion' I
managed to get the frame repaired for free.

This is on a 5 year old steel Bianchi frame. AFAIK, the retailer got it fixed by Kevin Wigham
(Paconi) at his cost and the repair had nothing to do with Bianchi or their distributor.

I spose the bottom line is, give it a go and mention things like 'fair trading', 'merchantable
quality' and 'fit for purpose'.

If it's a steel frame the repair probably won't be difficult.

Cheers.
--
Nick

Originally posted by Ray

My question is what holds up as a frame warranty?

Cheers Ray

I always wondered if the lifetime was your's or the frame's. Perhaps the frame's lifetime is over.

John Retchford

Originally posted by John Retchford
I always wondered if the lifetime was your's or the frame's. Perhaps the frame's lifetime is over.

John Retchford

Whenever I see lifetime warranty I am compelled to snicker or laugh - if it breaks of fails then they can say it is at the end of it's lifetime.

you wonder whether it really means anything at all !!!

MG

"John Retchford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> I always wondered if the lifetime was your's or the frame's. Perhaps
the
> frame's lifetime is over.

Trek's and Ellsworth's lifetime warranty applies only to the original owner afaik, so if you snuff
it before the bike, your other half can't suddenly start hucking it, crash and get a replacement...

;-) hippy

Originally posted by Hippy
[BTrek's and Ellsworth's lifetime warranty applies only to the original owner afaik, so if you snuff
it before the bike, your other half can't suddenly start hucking it, crash and get a replacement...

;-) hippy [/B]

The warranty on my bicycle frame lasts for both my life and the life of the frame builder. But in this case, these two people are the same.

John Retchford

In article <[email protected]>, usenet- [email protected] says...
> John Retchford wrote:
> > I always wondered if the lifetime was your's or the frame's. Perhaps the frame's lifetime is
> > over. John Retchford
>
>
>
> Whenever I see lifetime warranty I am compelled to snicker or laugh - if it breaks of fails then
> they can say it is at the end of it's lifetime.
>
> you wonder whether it really means anything at all !!!
>
> MG
>
Thanks all for your comments.

As it turns out I went back to the bike store and without any hesitation they said no problems, we
will replace it. Didn't even want to see the receipt! Even better they are going to replace the
steel frame with an alloy frame at no cost! Pick up the "new" bike tomorrow :)

I was stunned to say the least :)

Cheers Ray

Ray <[email protected]> wrote in message [email protected]
> I had an unfortunate mishap on the way home tonight. The rear drop on the drive side broke away
> from the frame leaving that side of the axle loose and free.
>
> Fortunately I think my pack rack avoided a nasty collapse of the rear axle as it is holding it all
> together. If it did collapse I would have been in a world of pain as I was coming quite fast down
> onto a low bridge and turning at the same time.
>
> My question is what holds up as a frame warranty?

"Lifetime" is for the purpose of warranties is defined by law as twenty-five years.

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Ray:

> Even better they are going to replace the steel frame with an alloy frame at no cost!

Is that really better? There is a lot to be said for steel frames.

Status
Not open for further replies.