LIFU tools

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Junobug, May 8, 2003.

  1. Junobug

    Junobug Guest

    I was on ebay recently and saw a shop selling tool kits from a company called LIFU. I had never seen
    this before, and was wondering if any of you were familiar with these tools.

    Ken Juneau, AK

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "junobug" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I was on ebay recently and saw a shop selling tool kits from a company called LIFU. I had never
    > seen this before, and was wondering if any of you were familiar with these tools.
    >
    > Ken Juneau, AK

    IMHO, for the most part, pure crap.
    --
    Slacker

  3. Technician

    Technician Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, slacker7 @sbcglobal.net says...
    > "junobug" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I was on ebay recently and saw a shop selling tool kits from a company called LIFU. I had never
    > > seen this before, and was wondering if any of you were familiar with these tools.
    > >
    > > Ken Juneau, AK
    >

    > IMHO, for the most part, pure crap.
    > --
    > Slacker

    So then their like "Master Mechanic" tools sold at wallies ;-) (all craftsman, snap-on, park, or
    pedro's (may or may not be good, but that's what my LBS stocks))
    --
    ~Travis

    travis57 at megalink dot net

  4. Jimbo

    Jimbo Guest

    junobug wrote:

    > I was on ebay recently and saw a shop selling tool kits from a company called LIFU. I had never
    > seen this before, and was wondering if any of you were familiar with these tools.
    >
    > Ken Juneau, AK

    We have a set at home... I have managed to break most of them... Park.... buy once

    Jimbo(san)

  5. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "jimbo(san)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | junobug wrote:
    |
    | > I was on ebay recently and saw a shop selling tool kits from a company called LIFU. I had never
    | > seen this before, and was wondering if any of
    you
    | > were familiar with these tools.
    | >
    | > Ken Juneau, AK
    |
    | We have a set at home... I have managed to break most of them... Park.... buy once

    For Bike specific tools, Park for sure, with the exception that Pedro's makes the best T handle
    wrenches ever and Wrench Force makes the best pedal wrench IMHO.

    For basic tools, either spend for something like MAC tools for longevity or CRAFTSMAN to replace
    easily (as long as Sears replaces them, no questions asked - I found a nasty 10 inch adjustable
    wrench on the side of the road once and stopped cleaning when I found the CRAFTSMAN logo - then
    simply took it to Sears and got a fresh one for it.)

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 5/6/2003

  6. Paul A.

    Paul A. New Member

    Joined:
    May 8, 2003
    | > I was on ebay recently and saw a shop selling tool kits from a
    company called LIFU. I had never
    | > seen this before, and was wondering if any of
    you
    | were familiar with these tools.
    | >
    | > Ken Juneau, AK

    Hi. Lifu tools have been available in Australia for, hmm, must be almost ten years or less, in small quantities. Quite reasonable tools for their price. The crank extractor is unusual in that it has a hardened steel pad ( which is free to rotate in the threaded shaft) at the end so that it doesn't damage the softer alloy crank as you wind the pressure on to pull the crank off the square taper.

    When I first saw this name I was curious as to how an Asian manufacturer came up with it when it appears, at first glance, to be of non-Asian origin. I did find, however, that aroundabout 1903 there was a company in England named Lifu - most likely no relation to the one mentioned here - short for Liquid Fuel. I think the full name was Liquid Fuel Engineering. The bicycle boom was over, and they were involved in the new motor car industry. Curiously, they had set up their works in a building previously used by a company run by two men, one of whom was Mr. Westwood, of bicycle rim fame. He must have retired very rich indeed.

    Cheers.

  7. Junobug

    Junobug Guest

    "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "junobug" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > I was on ebay recently and saw a shop selling tool kits from a company called LIFU. I had never
    > > seen this before, and was wondering if any of
    you
    > > were familiar with these tools.
    > >
    > > Ken Juneau, AK
    >

    > IMHO, for the most part, pure crap.
    > --
    > Slacker

    That is kinda what I thought just by looking at the pics of them on ebay. I was just wondering if
    anyone had used them. I have most of my basic tools but was looking for a mostly complete kit type
    set-up. All of my wrenches are Craftsman, I have a set of allen Bondhus allen wrenches, but would
    love those Pedros or Park P handle wrenches and a nice pedal wrench. I built 33 bikes for a local
    department store, and my old Schwinn pedal wrench made my hands useless after 66 pedals. Just say no
    to bladed pedal wrenches!

    Ken Juneau, AK

  8. On Thu, 08 May 2003 17:21:17 +0000, junobug did issue forth:

    > I was on ebay recently and saw a shop selling tool kits from a company called LIFU. I had never
    > seen this before, and was wondering if any of you were familiar with these tools.

    I've used their crank extractor and their chain tool.

    The crank extractor is excellent for the price, it even has a little turny button on the end that
    sits on the the BB axle.

    The chain tool is pure crap. I've broken two of them now as they seem to be cast from some sort of
    Iron/Cheese alloy.

    --
    Huw Pritchard

  9. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    I've had a set since 97 and only had one break. The screw driver last its tip. Some people missed
    the point its bike tools you want not household tools. Household tools fine for house jobs but were
    talking bike tools if you can fit the cost Parks tools are about the best. What the set of LIFU
    don't have you can sub with Parks, like Star nut setter or chain and clog brush.

    Fire up MTB 03