Ligget acknowledging RBR trolls? - Another mysterious reference

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Geoff Willingst, Jul 16, 2003.

  1. During the coverage on OLN the other day, Ligget was talking about the USPS team strategy in the
    mountains, and I swear he mentioned something about "Pa Troll's" and something about "like a
    shark". I got to thinking about it, and the truth is, Ligget's face does sort of resembles that of
    a shark's.

    Does Ligget post here, and is he this mysterious Pa Troll? Anyone have some audio of his comments
    mentioning this?

    Tags:

  2. hbarta

    hbarta Guest

    Geoff Willingston <[email protected]> wrote:
    > During the coverage on OLN the other day, Ligget was talking about the USPS team strategy in the
    > mountains, and I swear he mentioned something about "Pa Troll's" and something about "like a
    > shark". I got to thinking about it, and the truth is, Ligget's face does sort of resembles that of
    > a shark's.
    >
    > Does Ligget post here, and is he this mysterious Pa Troll? Anyone have some audio of his comments
    > mentioning this?

    He made another reference that I didn't understand at the time. He said something about a race
    official showing a "red disk" and the rider would have to stay right there (or was that hold his
    position?.) Was he trying to tell us to show the "red disk" to the trolls to stop them?

    Otherwise I have no idea what the "red disk" means.

  3. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    > Geoff Willingston <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > During the coverage on OLN the other day, Ligget was talking about the
    USPS
    > > team strategy in the mountains, and I swear he mentioned something about
    "Pa
    > > Troll's" and something about "like a shark". I got to thinking about
    it,
    > > and the truth is, Ligget's face does sort of resembles that of a
    shark's.

    > > Does Ligget post here, and is he this mysterious Pa Troll? Anyone have
    some
    > > audio of his comments mentioning this?
    >
    > He made another reference that I didn't understand at the time. He said something about a race
    > official showing a "red disk" and the rider would have to stay right there (or was that hold
    > his position?.) Was he trying to tell us to show the "red disk" to the trolls to stop them?
    >
    > Otherwise I have no idea what the "red disk" means.

  4. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    > Geoff Willingston <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > During the coverage on OLN the other day, Ligget was talking about the
    USPS
    > > team strategy in the mountains, and I swear he mentioned something about
    "Pa
    > > Troll's" and something about "like a shark". I got to thinking about
    it,
    > > and the truth is, Ligget's face does sort of resembles that of a
    shark's.

    > > Does Ligget post here, and is he this mysterious Pa Troll? Anyone have
    some
    > > audio of his comments mentioning this?
    >
    > He made another reference that I didn't understand at the time. He said something about a race
    > official showing a "red disk" and the rider would have to stay right there (or was that hold
    > his position?.) Was he trying to tell us to show the "red disk" to the trolls to stop them?

    The "red disk" he was referring to was a small sign.

    > Otherwise I have no idea what the "red disk" means.

  5. Phil DID make a reference a few days ago to "people saying we exaggerate the speeds the riders hit
    on downhills"--something I've only really seen mentioned by Jobst in r.b.t. --Shayana Kadidal

  6. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Nick Burns wrote:
    >> He made another reference that I didn't understand at the time. He said something about a race
    >> official showing a "red disk" and the rider would have to stay right there (or was that hold
    >> his position?.) Was he trying to tell us to show the "red disk" to the trolls to stop them?
    >

    > The "red disk" he was referring to was a small sign.

    And it applies to support vehicles, not racers. There's no "caution" flag in cycling.

  7. David Off

    David Off Guest

    [email protected] (Shayana Kadidal) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Phil DID make a reference a few days ago to "people saying we exaggerate the speeds the riders hit
    > on downhills"--something I've only really seen mentioned by Jobst in r.b.t. --Shayana Kadidal

    Ack, that is a cheek coming from Phil Ligget. I remember when he was first commentating on the TdeF
    for British ITV in the late 70s and he didn't realise that the French use kilometers (that's because
    of the metric system). The motocycle camera would flick down to the speed which would show 90km/h
    and Ligget would say "that's incredible, they are flying dow this hill at 90 miles per hour". He'd
    also claim they were doing 60mph in bunch sprints not 60kph. Doh!

    Brandt Jobst always claimes that people posting in r.b.t are suffering from 'bounce' on their
    speedo sensors, I say he is in denial but weve had this argument way back when. A lot of the tour
    descents are on hairpin roads where you don't pick up great speed between the bends. There are also
    roads, such as the long climb out of la Spezia in Italy to Milan, or the Brenner pass, or the road
    down from the Lauteret (which we saw on this years tour) where the road is pretty much straight
    over a long distance (thanks to those magnificent bridges) where even mortals like me can get up to
    50+mph. My trials show that a GPS will give a pretty accurate speed measurement if the signal is
    good (+/- 1kph).

  8. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On 18 Jul 2003 07:06:42 -0700, David Off <[email protected]> wrote:

    > [email protected] (Shayana Kadidal) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Phil DID make a reference a few days ago to "people saying we exaggerate the speeds the riders
    >> hit on downhills"--something I've only really seen mentioned by Jobst in r.b.t. --Shayana Kadidal
    >
    > Ack, that is a cheek coming from Phil Ligget. I remember when he was first commentating on the
    > TdeF for British ITV in the late 70s and he didn't realise that the French use kilometers (that's
    > because of the metric system). The motocycle camera would flick down to the speed which would show
    > 90km/h and Ligget would say "that's incredible, they are flying dow this hill at 90 miles per
    > hour". He'd also claim they were doing 60mph in bunch sprints not 60kph. Doh!
    >
    > Brandt Jobst always claimes that people posting in r.b.t are suffering from 'bounce' on their
    > speedo sensors, I say he is in denial but weve had this argument way back when. A lot of the tour
    > descents are on hairpin roads where you don't pick up great speed between the bends. There are
    > also roads, such as the long climb out of la Spezia in Italy to Milan, or the Brenner pass, or the
    > road down from the Lauteret (which we saw on this years tour) where the road is pretty much
    > straight over a long distance (thanks to those magnificent bridges) where even mortals like me can
    > get up to 50+mph. My trials show that a GPS will give a pretty accurate speed measurement if the
    > signal is good (+/-1kph).

    Don't they use radar detectors in the downhill mountain bike races? I remember them hitting close or
    over 60 mph. If they can hit those speeds, I'm sure the TdF bikers can hit 60mph.

    --
    Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

  9. Bart

    Bart Guest

    I thought Boogerd's comments on Hamilton sounded very RBR. Ewoud ?

  10. On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 07:31:29 GMT, Bart wrote:
    > I thought Boogerd's comments on Hamilton sounded very RBR. Ewoud ?

    When we do our daily sprint work outs I always keep him up-to-date on rbr.

  11. Mriordan95

    Mriordan95 Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] writes:

    > He made another reference that I didn't understand at the time. He said something about a race
    > official showing a "red disk" and the rider would have to stay right there (or was that hold his
    > position?.) Was he trying to tell us to show the "red disk" to the trolls to stop them?
    >
    > Otherwise I have no idea what the "red disk" means.

    The road stages have a controlled start. The red disk indicates that the race is still under
    neutral control.