Ligget is part of the problem

Eilert Pilarm said:
didn't they have a job when CBS devoted all of 30 minutes a week to the TdF?

that being said---it does make one wonder. Phil on one hand advocates lifetime ban for first offense vice the two-year first offense currently in place.

on the other hand....
If they would get a lifetime ban, then they would quit making a fool of him.

Crankyfeet said:
Duh. I thought that point was already clear in my post. I've noticed that a lot of people are ****** off with Liggett and Sherwen's bias towards Disco on this forum, but they don't explain (or know) that indirectly Disco feeds them by attracting their American audience.
Well, duh! :p

Crankyfeet said:
And its obvious that they have something to gain by helping to retain Discovery Channel as a sponsor. I don't think Al Trautig got the memo though as he implicated Alpuerto in the doping mess, provoking stunned and stoney silence from the rest of the panel.

I don't know if Ligget and Sherwen gain from DC :

I do know that neither of them offer any critical discussion of the sport.
They mouth platitudes.
That's complicity.

limerickman said:
Agreed : Ligget and Sherwen are a symptom of the disease that is doping in the sport.
They're talking heads but they're more interested in selling the sport, than offering critical analysis of racing in all it's forms/issues.
They are a sympton? I disagree. They're commentators, and i've never heard them condone drugs in sport. Don't give me the old "if they try be optomistic they're part of the problem" slant, abusing the english language won't solve the problem.

As for talking heads more interested in selling the sport....thank god someone is. I'm sure any non-cycling fan on here would be immediately disillusioned and be put right of having ANY interest in the sport. Just because their analysis isn't criticial ENOUGH (i.e. to your standards) doesn't mean they're " A symptom of the disease that is doping..." jeez, talk about laying it on thick.

trucker39 said:
They are a sympton? I disagree. They're commentators, and i've never heard them condone drugs in sport.

........you've never heard them condemn drugs either.
They're a couple of spanish timeshare salesmen.

trucker39 said:
. Don't give me the old "if they try be optomistic they're part of the problem" slant, abusing the english language won't solve the problem.

I wasn't trying to give you anything, mate.

And speaking of abusing the english language - try spelling optimistic correctly.
That would be a start.

trucker39 said:
As for talking heads more interested in selling the sport....thank god someone is. I'm sure any non-cycling fan on here would be immediately disillusioned and be put right of having ANY interest in the sport. Just because their analysis isn't criticial ENOUGH (i.e. to your standards) doesn't mean they're " A symptom of the disease that is doping..." jeez, talk about laying it on thick.

I'll include you in the non-cycling fan category, then.

limerickman said:
I don't know if Ligget and Sherwen gain from DC :

I do know that neither of them offer any critical discussion of the sport.
They mouth platitudes.
That's complicity.
Phil Ligget is going off on a money raising ride in Canada after the tour. Phil Ligget and Disco are hand in hand.

well, if you look deep down into their suitcases of courage, you find an entire collection of immaculately preseved usps/disco kits...

If most people on this forum had their way the TDF and other races would be destroyed. I think that is what the majority of posters here really want.

Phil Ligget is excellent for what he was hired to do. The market he is after are not hard core fans. He explains things that the beginner understands of a very complex sport. I know of several people that now watch because they have a basic understanding of how a stage race is run.
We understand why certain things are done in a certain matter in stage racing. But most things would not make sense to the casual listener.

The average sports fan does not care about doping. They have put the TDF in perspective. It is just a bike race that goes thru pretty country. Think about it.......... how many of you are not riding now because you are sitting at a keyboard trying to convince every one who will read your post that the "other rider" is guilty because you want him to be?

I rode today with about 20,000 other cyclists who could care less about a lab in Spain. It was refreshing.

wolfix said:
I rode today with about 20,000 other cyclists who could care less about a lab in Spain. It was refreshing.
Those weren't cyclists. Those were freds. :p

Crankyfeet said:
And its obvious that they have something to gain by helping to retain Discovery Channel as a sponsor. I don't think Al Trautig got the memo though as he implicated Alpuerto in the doping mess, provoking stunned and stoney silence from the rest of the panel.
OLN changed its name to Versus when the Canadian owners sold the US rights to Comcast. OLN still operates in Canada, but does not have CRTC licensing to show North American major league events. Versus does and shows very lucrative NHL games. The rest of the line up, including the TDF, is just filler in terms of revenue stream. They are adding college football this fall.

Discovery is one of Comcast's biggest revenue sources outside of the mainstream networks. (I would even venture a guess that it is the biggest after ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC.) So, the more time we see Disco riders on Comcast owned Versus, the more revenue Comcast is likely to make by carrying the Discovery Channel.

Bro Deal said:
Those weren't cyclists. Those were freds. :p
Some of them..........but there are many cyclists in that group. I rode with a guy that get paid to race his bike all over the world.
Do you get paid to race your bike?

Most of these riders have put in about 450 miles over the past week? Have you?????

There were a few guys on the ride who have participated in the peloton of the TDF years ago.
Are they freds?

And the all time greatest [Eddy thinks so] TDF rider was there.......
Is he a fred?

We had a 3 time PBP winner there......
Is he a fred?

The majority of these riders ride their bikes and do not spend most of their free time trying to convince the world how much they know.

They are not freds........
They are cyclists who ride their bikes for whatever reason.

And the major equipment companies hawk their products...
Do freds buy equipment?

Greg Lemond says it;s the best cycling event in the country.....[2005]
Is he a fred?

You need to explain to me why they are freds and how would you know?

wolfix said:
Phil Ligget is excellent for what he was hired to do. The market he is after are not hard core fans. He explains things that the beginner understands of a very complex sport. I know of several people that now watch because they have a basic understanding of how a stage race is run.
We understand why certain things are done in a certain matter in stage racing. But most things would not make sense to the casual listener.

The average sports fan does not care about doping. They have put the TDF in perspective. It is just a bike race that goes thru pretty country. Think about it.......... how many of you are not riding now because you are sitting at a keyboard trying to convince every one who will read your post that the "other rider" is guilty because you want him to be?

You raised some points I agree with in your second post but I think you will find that despite the agression of some posters they are here because they do like cycling and they want to see a race between riders who rely only on their natural ability.

Ignoring the doping problem, whether it be by riders, team managers, sponsors, race organsisers or commentators will just mean that the turmoil will continue.

They need to admit that there is a problem and want to do something about it.