Liggetism of the Day!

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by Sleektabby, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Sleektabby

Sleektabby New Member

They are spread eagle all over the mountain!

Phil actually said it twice today. Thus proving that he doesn't really know what it means (in US English at least).

Discuss amongst yourselves!

:D

Tags:

2. kriegslust

kriegslust New Member

Yeah, that did make me giggle. Wasn't it Phil who said that "Lance will begin to pull his team-mates off at the front soon" too?

3. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

Do you think that one shot of Voeckler was time delayed? Remember that one close up they did when he stuck his tongue up into his nose? I've never seen a human capable of doing this except Voeckler. True story, if you didn't see it. I didn't know whether to laugh or turn off the tv. :confused:

4. drebro

drebro New Member

Actually, spread-eagle can be a transitive verb meaning, "to spread over," according to Webster. In that case, Phil's comment would be equivalent to saying "they are spread over all over the mountain"--a bit redundant, but an appropriate use of this definition of spread-eagle .
    Does anyone else notice, though, that Phil and Paul sometimes mix up riders and the year of the Tour that they did certain things? I cannot think of any particular examples at the moment, but I sometimes find myself correcting their comments about who did what when. But I do not think I could do any better if I were commenting on the race as it happened, and they do fill me in on a lot of trivia that I am not familiar with previously.

5. mattp71

mattp71 New Member

calling a race in real time is easy to screw up as things change so fast. All they have also is the television cameras and the race #'s coupled to a sheet of whose number is who.

By the time they get around to correcting there mistakes, 10 other things just happened and they move on. They do a great job that is for sure!

6. Mouse Potato

Mouse Potato New Member

Didn't notice that one, but I did catch "Cyclists go down with their eyes open" (stage 14).

7. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

The one that bothers me the most ,and believe he said it, is "mano e mano".
    Excuse the spelling if its wrong. Unless I am mistaken and some of you Spainish please correct me, :confused: means hand to hand. Lance and Basson are riding hand to hand?

8. xcspace

xcspace New Member

Check out http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_164.html for one persons definition

9. Salsa Rider

Salsa Rider New Member

Actually the pronouncation that they are using is more like "man-o a man-o". I chalk it up to Liggitt trying to speak a language that he really doesnt have a grasp of. It is pretty funny as long as Spanish isnt your first or chosen language.

And yes "mano a mano" does mean "hand to hand" literally, figuritivly (sp?) it can also mean "head to head"