light battery

"Fish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Fish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I have purchased the new battery and I have acheived my goal better than
>> expected
>> I have Doubled the size and Weight of my bettery but I now have gained

> (in
>> theory at least) x 2.85714 runtime which now means basically
>>
>> .9KG battery weigh = 2 hours runtime
>> 1.8 Kg battery weight = just under 6 hours runtime
>>
>> (assuming the batteries are of equal quality) and I still have the

> original
>> battery so if I ever go on a particulally long ride I can take this with

> me
>> as an ermergency backup) I have also Purchased a 5W bult so I can

> effectivly
>> run the thing at 1/2 power thus doubling the runtime again.
>>
>> Anyone looking to do this upgrade the Maplin's Part numbers are as
>> follows
>>
>> Battery UD 08 its the 6v 12Ah one but you can go for any in that range.

> You
>> could also fit a smaller battery if you take short rides and are
>> concerned
>> about weight/size commuting etc.
>> Bulb MR11 6v 5W Make sure you get the 35mm one.
>> Fuse's just in case you short it out while screwing around PC91.
>>
>> I may even do some reasearch into the dynamo rechargeable one now because

> Im
>> bored and it seem's like a good idea.

> I have justs tested this setup and I got about 5Hr's 10 Min's out of the
> battery withouyt any charging whatsoever thats with the light on
> contibuosly
> on full beam so I think Ive managed to get pretty good runtime out of the
> thing

I'm impressed. :)

"Ne><uS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Fish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Fish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> I have purchased the new battery and I have acheived my goal better

than
> >> expected
> >> I have Doubled the size and Weight of my bettery but I now have gained

> > (in
> >> theory at least) x 2.85714 runtime which now means basically
> >>
> >> .9KG battery weigh = 2 hours runtime
> >> 1.8 Kg battery weight = just under 6 hours runtime
> >>
> >> (assuming the batteries are of equal quality) and I still have the

> > original
> >> battery so if I ever go on a particulally long ride I can take this

with
> > me
> >> as an ermergency backup) I have also Purchased a 5W bult so I can

> > effectivly
> >> run the thing at 1/2 power thus doubling the runtime again.
> >>
> >> Anyone looking to do this upgrade the Maplin's Part numbers are as
> >> follows
> >>
> >> Battery UD 08 its the 6v 12Ah one but you can go for any in that range.

> > You
> >> could also fit a smaller battery if you take short rides and are
> >> concerned
> >> about weight/size commuting etc.
> >> Bulb MR11 6v 5W Make sure you get the 35mm one.
> >> Fuse's just in case you short it out while screwing around PC91.
> >>
> >> I may even do some reasearch into the dynamo rechargeable one now

because
> > Im
> >> bored and it seem's like a good idea.

> > I have justs tested this setup and I got about 5Hr's 10 Min's out of the
> > battery withouyt any charging whatsoever thats with the light on
> > contibuosly
> > on full beam so I think Ive managed to get pretty good runtime out of

the
> > thing
> >>

> I'm impressed. :)

Me too. I'm also highly impressed with his back muscles...

Shaun aRe - No room to talk - the batteries for my 50W home made light weigh
close to 7lb.

"Shaun aRe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Ne><uS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Fish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "Fish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> than

gained
> > > (in

> > > original

> with
> > > me
> > > effectivly

range.
> > > You

> because
> > > Im
> > >
> > > I have justs tested this setup and I got about 5Hr's 10 Min's out of

the
> > > battery withouyt any charging whatsoever thats with the light on
> > > contibuosly
> > > on full beam so I think Ive managed to get pretty good runtime out of

> the
> > > thing
> > >>

> > I'm impressed. :)

> Me too. I'm also highly impressed with his back muscles...
>

> Shaun aRe - No room to talk - the batteries for my 50W home made light

weigh
> close to 7lb.

I suppose it all depends on what your after I already carry quite a heavy
pack anyway quick rundown:-
Pump, Spare inner tube, toolkit to repair pretty much anything that could go
wrong, spade ( this is a tradition from back home for repairing trails i
dunno if everyone does it), seatpost / seat I have to carry a long one for
the 5 mile ride to my "local" trails and obviously a shorter one for
actually riding the trails I have a ******* frame!!, Helmet/hat I use the
hat for the ride there and the helmets for when I get there, first aid kit
(you never know),water (theres 2 KG easy) , food sometimes , warm clothing
for winter and ciggies / lighter. All of this stuff has proven itself to be
useful to me and I wouldnt ever go trail riding without it so an extra
weight in the pack I hardly even notice.

Just a note in case Mike is reading this I only carry the spade for
repairing damage I couldnt use it for building a trail even if I wanted to.
and I have used it several times esp when visiting a new set of trails which
hasnt quite bedded in and you get a really nasty pothole with no way to
avoid it or when some idiot has wacked a near impossible jump right in your
path.
I have nothing agiast jumps ...but if you going to stick them on a trail
make sure everyone can ride them even if they dont jump.

"Shaun aRe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Ne><uS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Fish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> >
>> > "Fish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]...

> than
>> > (in

>> > original

> with
>> > me
>> > effectivly

>> > You

> because
>> > Im
>> >
>> > I have justs tested this setup and I got about 5Hr's 10 Min's out of
>> > the
>> > battery withouyt any charging whatsoever thats with the light on
>> > contibuosly
>> > on full beam so I think Ive managed to get pretty good runtime out of

> the
>> > thing
>> >>

>> I'm impressed. :)

> Me too. I'm also highly impressed with his back muscles...
>

> Shaun aRe - No room to talk - the batteries for my 50W home made light
> weigh
> close to 7lb.

That's a pretty big bulk. What are you using now? I'm using a light with
those super bright white LED's.

> That's a pretty big bulk. What are you using now? I'm using a light with
> those super bright white LED's.
>
> Basically I have bought a 12Ah battery to replace the 4.2Ah battery the

new battery is twice as big but give much better runtime more than 2x
I have also bough a bulb with 1/2 wattage which will be suitable for using
on the road but not off road.

But apart from that its exactly the same system I just switched the wires
over on the battery even the same terminals and away I go ...need to arounge
some housing for the battery to get any water out but apart from that its A
ok

"Fish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> That's a pretty big bulk. What are you using now? I'm using a light
>> with
>> those super bright white LED's.
>>
>> Basically I have bought a 12Ah battery to replace the 4.2Ah battery the

> new battery is twice as big but give much better runtime more than 2x
> I have also bough a bulb with 1/2 wattage which will be suitable for using
> on the road but not off road.
>
> But apart from that its exactly the same system I just switched the wires
> over on the battery even the same terminals and away I go ...need to
> arounge
> some housing for the battery to get any water out but apart from that its
> ok

Could have done with something like that years ago. I had to do 10 miles on
road at night, a lot of the time the batteries would go on the trip home,
(police nearly kicked my **** about it but I was lucky because they were
concentrating on a recent crash.)

"Ne><uS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Shaun aRe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Ne><uS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> "Fish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> > than

gained

> > with

> > because

> > the
> >> >>

> >> I'm impressed. :)

> > Me too. I'm also highly impressed with his back muscles...
> >

> > Shaun aRe - No room to talk - the batteries for my 50W home made light
> > weigh
> > close to 7lb.
> >

> That's a pretty big bulk. What are you using now? I'm using a light with
> those super bright white LED's.

It only gets used on occasion, usually for commuting.

Shaun aRe

> Have you considered getting a bike light with Bright White LED's?
>
> I have a Cateye HL-EL300. I've not run the batteries out yet and the spot
> it produces is very clear, (i'd say it can project the spot well over

60ft.)
> I can't remember runtimes on it, but as soon as battery power drops to a
> certain level it sacrifices a couple of the LED's to maintain runtime,

(not
> sure on it's brightness though.)
>
> Bottom line: It uses only 4 AA's and it's maximum runtime is something
> stupid like 30 hours.
>
> They do have better now, but have a look anyway. They may be pricy, but
> they pay for themselves in the long run.

I suppose my next project could be to Attempt to convert this light into one
that runs off the Super bright LED's .. Just get a superbright LED cluster
and fit a couple of prongs to mount it into the holder and Im sorted
......except one small thing ..... somehow Ive fried my charger so I cant use
the dammed light now

> I suppose my next project could be to Attempt to convert this light into
> one
> that runs off the Super bright LED's .. Just get a superbright LED cluster
> and fit a couple of prongs to mount it into the holder and Im sorted
> .....except one small thing ..... somehow Ive fried my charger so I cant
> use
> the dammed light now

Ahhhh, ****!

Noticed a while ago some company was making house lights that would plug
into the normal bayonet type fittings.

And yes, i'm pretty sure I came across light clusters to replace those
xeon/xenon lightbulbs.

> It only gets used on occasion, usually for commuting.
>

> Shaun aRe

That I can imagine, doubt if you'd wanna lug that around on long hauls. :)

I haven't even replaced the batteries in my torch and I got that back in feb
of 2004!

Shaun aRe wrote:
> "Ne><uS" <[email protected]> wrote

>> How many batteries do you need to run that? ;)

> About 6 or 7 lbs LMAO! ',;~}~

By definition, those /aren't/ "light batteries".

Will grab me hat now, BS

"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...
> Shaun aRe wrote:
>> "Ne><uS" <[email protected]> wrote

>>> How many batteries do you need to run that? ;)

>> About 6 or 7 lbs LMAO! ',;~}~

> By definition, those /aren't/ "light batteries".
>
> Will grab me hat now, BS

Exit stage right dear chap. ;)