light chain

gemship said:
I didn't know you lived in a trailer park?

seriously you seem pretty knowledgable about today's light road bike but I just don't understand the atagnostic edge to your postings. Why do you feel the need to belittle somebody?

slowcat3 is right on, its a open forum. Reckon thats why we all put with you :eek:
It is probably just repressed rage. He can get away with it anonymously in this forum. If he made some of these remarks face to face, someone would pound him. It does make for interesting reading when he lets go on those that seem to deserve it though. But I agree with you, it is an open forum so you can post most anything you like, even if it is just your opinion, unsubstantiated and without a bibliography.

Alienator does possess a lot of good knowledge. The best thing to do is to ignore it when he starts to get antagonistic and don't take it personally. Just consider the source. I do pity the guy though, having to live with something that makes his personality so caustic.

Sorry that this has nothing to do with light chains. All I know about chains is that the SRAM and Shimano that I have been using work flawlessly and get lubed every 200 miles (or less depending upon the conditions). I doubt that either one is a light chain as they are just off the shelf from my LBS.

kdelong said:
It is probably just repressed rage. He can get away with it anonymously in this forum. If he made some of these remarks face to face, someone would pound him.

Really? You know such things? How did you come by such amazing intuition? You must be like an expert and stuff. I notice that you're anonymous, too. Hmmm.

I guess those you say would be pounding must be pretty sharp people, eh? Clearly. I'll have to move you to the top of the list of "people" whose opinions must be valued highly.

kdelong said:
It is probably just repressed rage. He can get away with it anonymously in this forum. If he made some of these remarks face to face, someone would pound him. It does make for interesting reading when he lets go on those that seem to deserve it though. But I agree with you, it is an open forum so you can post most anything you like, even if it is just your opinion, unsubstantiated and without a bibliography.

Alienator does possess a lot of good knowledge. The best thing to do is to ignore it when he starts to get antagonistic and don't take it personally. Just consider the source. I do pity the guy though, having to live with something that makes his personality so caustic.

Sorry that this has nothing to do with light chains. All I know about chains is that the SRAM and Shimano that I have been using work flawlessly and get lubed every 200 miles (or less depending upon the conditions). I doubt that either one is a light chain as they are just off the shelf from my LBS.

thanks Kdelong. and sorry about the offtopic topic, nice to not feel alone on this nonsense. I was actually pm'ed by a respected fellow forumite. He said pretty much the same as you in regards to.... Ignoring him and taking it from the source I understand but being the imperfect human that I am sometimes it helps to have a little support.Helps stay on track.

Now to on topic- I have no idea what the lightest chain is except to say that there must be a lightest chain. As far Shimano goes it's safe to say once you get to the Ultegra level you're only one click away from the best so no real worries as to the slight weight gains. I would be more concerned with build quality, longetivity, and keeping it well lubed. Unless you plan on going hog wild with the whole weight weenie lightest bike build then who cares. Having that of been said if building a angel's bike is on the order I would say with confidence that Alienator's first post of the lightest by KMC may just be the ticket. ;)

the KMC X10SL is something I'll look into ... that was the purpose of the post to get some new ideas on a light chain.. when I replace something on the bike I like to look at different options and one is wieght plus with this forum I get some info on brands I may have never thought of. It's easy when you’re looking at seat posts and three guys on the team are using a Thompson masterpiece seat post.. but around here how many guys are on Schwalbe Ultremo tires.. but please, every time the word grams comes up it's " improve the engine" "lose 5 pounds" at least offer a pertinent option first then drool

CAMPYBOB said:
I've watched two chain failures on the 2008 Tour De France. One looked extremely painful as the rider's crotch mashed into the top tube. I couldn't tell what brand they were, but knowing pro maintenance they were low miles (2000K is when I heard Disco tossed chains IIRC).
Having seen many pinned chains fail at the joining pin, I'd think lots and lots of bikes with lots and lots of pinned chain replacements is probably going to statistically raise the probability of chain failures not lower it.

catlike said:
Dont know about KMC X10SL, but durability of X8.93 is disappointing.
I tried 2 KMC X10SL's on 2 race bikes over the past 6 months. I thought they were great, didn't have a single issue with either of them. Rode about 5,000km on both of them, with lots of race miles on them. Actually lots of crit miles on them as well, which with loads of accelerations does your chain in more than just about anything else. Also as we've had a ridicously wet winter, have done lots of wet miles with them.

I used them exclusively with wet lube. Added a little twice a week (or when required).

They've held up just fine. I've probably changed them out a bit early, they definately had plenty of life left in them. So would I use them again?

Absolutely. The only downside I see in them, is they are about twice the price of DA chains and not as widely available. So I replaced them this time around with DA simply because they were available when I wanted them. Shifting quality on both bikes (both have Force) is identical. The KMC chains are possibly a tiny bit louder, though I think are about 40-50 grams lighter FWIW.

Finally, YBN is making a competitive product that has had good reviews from what I've seen.

Finally, YBN is making a competitive product that has had good reviews from what I've seen.[/QUOTE]what is ybn?