light chain

bpatterson said:
looking to purchase a very light chain need some suggestions

Probably a Wipperman titanium but 'lightest' and 'chain' should be mutually exclusive. Weight savings will be small and if ya break a chain, results range from 'stranded' to lose front teeth....

bpatterson said:
looking to purchase a very light chain need some suggestions
Buy any chain you'd like. Then, lose 5 pounds of body weight and see bigger improvements without wasting your money.

Seriously, I would not be looking to save weight on a chain... but, it's your money.

I’ve already lost 50 pounds in two years but thanks anyway, I’m looking for a the lightest chain I can get I’m open to banter about weight to quality ratio with examples or even a few intelligent quips, but please leave the lose weight, get a better engine cut out the ice cream blather for someone who asks

Peter@vecchios said:
Probably a Wipperman titanium but 'lightest' and 'chain' should be mutually exclusive. Weight savings will be small and if ya break a chain, results range from 'stranded' to lose front teeth....
that is where I was before I posted the question there isn't that much of a difference bettween the 3 wippermans

KMC X10SL. It's a great chain, and I believe it's the lightest of the current crop. You can go to Fairwheel Bikes Forum and ask about or search for threads on it. There are a lot of folks using 'em and putting big miles on 'em. There are quite a few nat'l level Euros, on that forum, using 'em, too, and they're not breaking them.

Perhaps if you explain WHY a light chain is so important to you...we can steer you in the right direction...

SlowestCat3 said:
Perhaps if you explain WHY a light chain is so important to you...we can steer you in the right direction...

Why does it matter what his reasons are? I don't think he asked for a debate whether he should have a light chain or not. He asked a simple question. I don't know that his question can be made any more clear. It's pretty damned clear already.

Actually, he didn't ask anything at first. ;-) He just stated.... that why kdelong commented initially.

So tell him then, what's the lightest chain...

It's an open forum; therefore, people like me, Peter and kdelong are allowed to provide our opinions...whether requested or not. I don't see people falling all over one another to give info..

Per the Competitive Cyclist website, the weight difference in the top two DA chains (7900 and 7801) is 8 grams and the cost difference is $20. 8 grams. That's 8. EIGHT. That, IMO, is what makes the point moot and hilarious at the same time.

I'm a Campy person, therefore, I can't speak from experience for DA. I believe the Wipperman chains are slightly heavier but they're also easier to maintain on the road. If you must stick with DA, bpatterson, I guess the 7900 chain is the way to go. I would think TI chains would have premature wear issue like TI cassettes, but I don't know from experience.

Good luck with that light chain purchase!

SlowestCat3 said:
Actually, he didn't ask anything at first. ;-) He just stated.... that why kdelong commented initially.

So tell him then, what's the lightest chain...

It's an open forum; therefore, people like me, Peter and kdelong are allowed to provide our opinions...whether requested or not. I don't see people falling all over one another to give info..

Per the Competitive Cyclist website, the weight difference in the top two DA chains (7900 and 7801) is 8 grams and the cost difference is $20. 8 grams. That's 8. EIGHT. That, IMO, is what makes the point moot and hilarious at the same time.

I'm a Campy person, therefore, I can't speak from experience for DA. I believe the Wipperman chains are slightly heavier but they're also easier to maintain on the road. If you must stick with DA, bpatterson, I guess the 7900 chain is the way to go. I would think TI chains would have premature wear issue like TI cassettes, but I don't know from experience.

Good luck with that light chain purchase!

Well, Zippy, your's, Peter's, and kdwhatever's opinions presume that your values are what is important to the OP. As it happens there's a whole forum dedicated to folks who like to build the lightest bikes possible that are still everyday useable....just for the technical challenge. Some go further and want to build the lightest possible no matter what. That you, Peter, and kdsomebody don't grasp that just shows the limits of your perspective and experience.

Oh, hey: guess who makes Shimano chains? That's right: KMC. Neither Campy nor Shimano holds the patent on durable, quality chains. Anyone who says so is trying to sell something or is an idiot. From my own use, the KMC X10SL is equal to Campy C10 in performance and durability.

Given your stated experience, your opinion really doesn't carry much technical worth.

My experience is that I'd stomp your silly **** if I only had a Huffy....Mr not-so-know-it-all.

Have a nice day, you prat.

SlowestCat3 said:
My experience is that I'd stomp your silly **** if I only had a Huffy....Mr not-so-know-it-all.

Have a nice day, you prat.

Awesome! A challenge of manhood and strength! Man, you've got guts to come up with that!

Man, I'll be out on the street, quiverin' in my Shimano's, worried that I'll happen upon you and be forced into a cycling duel!

It's no wonder you're the favorite boy in the trailer park.

I'm not sure Campy maufactures their own chain (in house), either.

The German company, Rohloff, used to manufacture Campy's chains for them. I'm not sure if they still do, but it would be a possibility given Campagnolo's old agreement with Regina. I've had good endurance and shifting out of Campy C10's so far. The Record version is definitely 'light'.

I've watched two chain failures on the 2008 Tour De France. One looked extremely painful as the rider's crotch mashed into the top tube. I couldn't tell what brand they were, but knowing pro maintenance they were low miles (2000K is when I heard Disco tossed chains IIRC).

alienator said:
Oh, hey: guess who makes Shimano chains? That's right: KMC. Neither Campy nor Shimano holds the patent on durable, quality chains. Anyone who says so is trying to sell something or is an idiot. From my own use, the KMC X10SL is equal to Campy C10 in performance and durability.
Sorry for a bit offtopic, but coudnt resist to share my expirience with KMC.
Dont know about KMC X10SL, but durability of X8.93 is disappointing. I have rode ~1700 km (1100 miles) on it and it shows 1 % wear (on park tool chain checker)- i was so surprised that i checked with ruller- no, the park shows right. My previous chain HG-50 lasted twice as long and was half the price of X8.93.
And yes i do lube chain regulary~ every 350 km (twice a month). I doubt i need to lube it more often. I think i am going back to HG50 (with KMC missing link)
I hope their (KMC) 10 spd chains are better quality.

alienator said:
Awesome! A challenge of manhood and strength! Man, you've got guts to come up with that!

Man, I'll be out on the street, quiverin' in my Shimano's, worried that I'll happen upon you and be forced into a cycling duel!

It's no wonder you're the favorite boy in the trailer park.

I didn't know you lived in a trailer park?

seriously you seem pretty knowledgable about today's light road bike but I just don't understand the atagnostic edge to your postings. Why do you feel the need to belittle somebody?

slowcat3 is right on, its a open forum. Reckon thats why we all put with you :eek: