Light, Fast Commuter Road Bike -- Does It Exist?

On Aug 18, 2:39 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > James <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Does any bike manufacturer make and sell a light, fast commuter road
> >> bike? Here's what I want in a commuter-road:
> >> - actually be a road bike
> >> - eyelets, front and back, for fenders in winter
> >> - brakes that can clear fenders
> >> - fairly lightweight (18 or 19 lbs without fenders)
> >> - 700 23 tires
> >> - reasonably fast geometry (in 56cm wheelbase under 1000mm)
> >> Can't seem to find anything like this here in the United States.
> >> The audax bikes in the U.K. seem to match my specs
> >> (http://www.setavento.com/img/AudaxBike.jpg)
> >> I'm surprised commuter-roads are so rare. All of the commuters I see
> >> in the shops are either hybrids or 25 lbs tourers.

> landotter wrote:
> > And your problem is? 25# is what normal people consider a light
> > commuter, especially if it's equipped with fenders, a proper amount of
> > spokes, real tires, and strong rims. If it's slow, then it's because
> > you're a *****. 23mm tires on a "commuter bike"? Can somebody please
> > refresh the carbide in the stupid beacon? Thanks!

> I don't know that tire width is a problem, depending on the route. My
> 22mm tubs fit nicely under the steel mudguards of my 29lb commuter*.
> Haven't found a better ride in many years of daily commuting. ?!

I'm sure it rides great--but you're a master wrench who can likely
change one in the pouring rain upside down while reciting quips from
Lenny Bruce's classic guide to life..

> A rider in SoCal may not need mudguards. I do. Some riders can't use
> tires smaller than 35mm. I can. Some need/want luggage capacity, I
> seldom have more than a newspaper in a rubber band across my bars.
> I agree about "18lbs". Surely weight is non-critical to a commuter in
> most cases.

The only time I've wanted for a very light bike is when I lived in a
third floor walkup in the city. I used a 35# bike usually anyway,
because it was such a great beast, but did have a single speed that
weighed in at 20#.

I've got a 23mm tired bike beside me at the moment, and it's probably
going to get craiglisted soon. Indeed, it's light at 19#--but in the
end, it's all about the geometry, as you say. The thing rides way too
nervously with the silly amount of fork rake. Plus, I've taken to the
philosophy that a guy's gotta be able to cut into the woods
occasionally and jump curbs...and amusingly enough, the heavier ride
is faster, because it inspires confidence. Same thing with my old 35#
commuter--it inspired Jobstian cornering.

On Aug 18, 8:02 am, Booker C. Bense <bbense+rec.bicycles.tech.Aug.
[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>

> SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
> >James wrote:
> >> Does any bike manufacturer make and sell a light, fast commuter road
> >> bike? Here's what I want in a commuter-road:

> >> - actually be a road bike
> >> - eyelets, front and back, for fenders in winter
> >> - brakes that can clear fenders
> >> - fairly lightweight (18 or 19 lbs without fenders)
> >> - 700 23 tires
> >> - reasonably fast geometry (in 56cm wheelbase under 1000mm)

> >> Can't seem to find anything like this here in the United States.

> >I guess the U.S. market for a lightweight, narrow tire, road bicycle
> >that can accept fenders or racks is so small that no one bothers
> >importing them into the U.S..

> That sounds like a Trek Pilot or Specialized Sequoia to
> me. Wheelbase is a bit on the long side though. Rumor has it
> that both models will be redesigned with quicker handling for
> 2008.

The Pilot is a good pick, and the Portland is a great wet-weather bike
with the disc brakes. I'm not excited about low spoke count wheels,
but they seem to be standard on most bikes these days. I see a lot of
Pilots and Portlands in the racks at work. -- Jay Beattie.

James wrote:

> I'm surprised commuter-roads are so rare. All of the commuters I see
> in the shops are either hybrids or 25 lbs tourers.

25 pounds?! Merciful heavens, what shall we do with all that weight?
Hmm, lets see, what would Freddie Hoffman do?

>From http://www.bikingbis.com/blog/BikeTouring/_archives/2006/12/25/2362015.html:

"Over the past 41 years, Hoffman has averaged 81.4 miles per day. He
has clocked 24,700 days of cycling, with 1,500 days off.
Fully outfitted, he's pushing 100 pounds on his bicycle. He could go
faster with less weight, he says, but what's the point if he breaks
down without tools out in the middle of nowhere."

I just don't know how I could stand to ride a bike that weighed a
whole 25 pounds! My VO2 max is really wimpy!

Chalo

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 06:39:38 -0000, in rec.bicycles.tech James
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Does any bike manufacturer make and sell a light, fast commuter road
>bike?

Do any of the accessories manufacturers make clothing that doesn't
look silly?

Jones

"James" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does any bike manufacturer make and sell a light, fast commuter road
> bike? Here's what I want in a commuter-road:
>
> - actually be a road bike
> - eyelets, front and back, for fenders in winter
> - brakes that can clear fenders
> - fairly lightweight (18 or 19 lbs without fenders)
> - 700 23 tires
> - reasonably fast geometry (in 56cm wheelbase under 1000mm)
>
> Can't seem to find anything like this here in the United States.
> The audax bikes in the U.K. seem to match my specs
> ( http://www.setavento.com/img/AudaxBike.jpg )
>
> I'm surprised commuter-roads are so rare. All of the commuters I see
> in the shops are either hybrids or 25 lbs tourers.

I won't try to talk you into something different than you describe just
because I commute on a heavy steel touring bike with racks, lighting system
etc. that is best suited for my needs and perhaps not yours.

If you really want an 18 pound bike + fenders, I think a custom built frame
is going to be the only way to get it. Your 18 pound specification requires
higher-end lightweight road racing components throughout including
everything from the saddle to the wheels. I've never seen a bike like this
(in recent decades) with the frame clearance and brakes to accommodate full
fenders, not to mention eyelets. I think you will need to have a custom
frame built, buy all the components individually, and get it assembled.

This will be expensive. I have just done the same thing to get a touring
bike exactly like I wanted it. Individually buying all of the parts needed
to assemble a complete bicycle is far more expensive than buying a factory
built bicycle with similar quality components. You probably already realize
that if you relaxed your low weight requirement a bit, you would have many
more options and would end up with a fatter wallet.

BobT

landotter wrote:
> The only time I've wanted for a very light bike is when I lived in a
> third floor walkup in the city. I used a 35# bike usually anyway,
> because it was such a great beast, but did have a single speed that
> weighed in at 20#.
> I've got a 23mm tired bike beside me at the moment, and it's probably
> going to get craiglisted soon. Indeed, it's light at 19#--but in the
> end, it's all about the geometry, as you say. The thing rides way too
> nervously with the silly amount of fork rake. Plus, I've taken to the
> philosophy that a guy's gotta be able to cut into the woods
> occasionally and jump curbs...and amusingly enough, the heavier ride
> is faster, because it inspires confidence. Same thing with my old 35#
> commuter--it inspired Jobstian cornering.

I'm as lazy as the next guy - maybe moreso. I just lean over the other
wheel until I get where I'm going, especially in the rain. Yep, love
Lenny Bruce.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On 2007-08-18, Booker C Bense
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>James wrote:
>>> Does any bike manufacturer make and sell a light, fast commuter road
>>> bike? Here's what I want in a commuter-road:
>>>
>>> - actually be a road bike
>>> - eyelets, front and back, for fenders in winter
>>> - brakes that can clear fenders
>>> - fairly lightweight (18 or 19 lbs without fenders)
>>> - 700 23 tires
>>> - reasonably fast geometry (in 56cm wheelbase under 1000mm)

> That sounds like a Trek Pilot or Specialized Sequoia to
> me. Wheelbase is a bit on the long side though. Rumor has it
> that both models will be redesigned with quicker handling for
> 2008.

That's what I was about to suggest. My Pilot 1.2 misses the weight
target by a pound or two (IIRC it weighed 20 or 21 lbs before I started
hanging accessories on it) but would otherwise fit the bill once the
stock 28mm tires were swapped out. One of the more expensive models
would probably hit the OP's target weight.

If the OP wants to go that route it would probably be best to start
shopping now. Trek is reducing the Pilot line to two or three models
for 2008: <http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/road>. All models
have eyelets on the front and rear dropouts but I don't see any rack
eyelets on the upper seatstays. It still might work if the OP doesn't
plan to mount a rack or is fine with securing it to the brake bolt.

The other possible issue I see is that most bikes in that weight range
are none too long in the chainstays, which could be an issue if the OP
plans to use panniers and has average or larger feet.

On Aug 18, 10:15 am, James <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 18, 4:57 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Aug 18, 12:39 am, James <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Does any bike manufacturer make and sell a light, fast commuter road
> > > bike?

> >http://www.waterfordbikes.com

> > All Waterfords are made to order, with all things you mentioned, like
> > eyelets, long reach brake options, etc, easy...We had one on the floor
> > that weighed 17 pounds, nothing exotic..

> I think you're right, I'll have no choice but to go made to order or
> build one up myself. Some other posters mentioned Giant and
> Cannondale, but what I've noticed on the major manufacturers is that
> fender eyelets are only found on the low-end heavy Sora type models.
>
> You say you ^^had^^ one on the floor, which means it sold. See...
> see... there's a niche out there needing to be filled ;-)

We will be replacing it soon..it was a demo, we have an example of all
the bikes we sell for demos...Parlee, Waterford, Moots, Lynskey,
Gunnar.

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 18:05:23 -0500, "BobT"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>If you really want an 18 pound bike + fenders, I think a custom built frame
>is going to be the only way to get it. Your 18 pound specification requires
>higher-end lightweight road racing components throughout including
>everything from the saddle to the wheels. I've never seen a bike like this
>(in recent decades) with the frame clearance and brakes to accommodate full
>fenders, not to mention eyelets. I think you will need to have a custom
>frame built, buy all the components individually, and get it assembled.
>
>This will be expensive. I have just done the same thing to get a touring
>bike exactly like I wanted it. Individually buying all of the parts needed
>to assemble a complete bicycle is far more expensive than buying a factory
>built bicycle with similar quality components. You probably already realize
>that if you relaxed your low weight requirement a bit, you would have many
>more options and would end up with a fatter wallet.

Do you REALIZE just how much that fatter wallet can WEIGH??

;)

Email address works as is.

On Aug 18, 2:39 am, James <[email protected]> wrote:
> Does any bike manufacturer make and sell a light, fast commuter road
> bike? Here's what I want in a commuter-road:
>
> - actually be a road bike
> - eyelets, front and back, for fenders in winter
> - brakes that can clear fenders
> - fairly lightweight (18 or 19 lbs without fenders)
> - 700 23 tires
> - reasonably fast geometry (in 56cm wheelbase under 1000mm)

It does not sound like you need to build up a custom bike. Get a road
bike that has got what you want minus fender mounts (and maybe require
a change of brakes) and fashion your own mounts. A walkthrough of a
hardware store and an old tube to protect the paint on the frame
should suffice. And if still at a loss for makeshift mounts, UTFSE.

A lot cheaper than building up a full custom. You could even sell the
old brakes on e-bay.

On Aug 21, 9:30 pm, Patrick Lamb <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 18:05:23 -0500, "BobT"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >If you really want an 18 pound bike + fenders, I think a custom built frame
> >is going to be the only way to get it. Your 18 pound specification requires
> >higher-end lightweight road racing components throughout including
> >everything from the saddle to the wheels. I've never seen a bike like this
> >(in recent decades) with the frame clearance and brakes to accommodate full
> >fenders, not to mention eyelets. I think you will need to have a custom
> >frame built, buy all the components individually, and get it assembled.

> >This will be expensive. I have just done the same thing to get a touring
> >bike exactly like I wanted it. Individually buying all of the parts needed
> >to assemble a complete bicycle is far more expensive than buying a factory
> >built bicycle with similar quality components. You probably already realize
> >that if you relaxed your low weight requirement a bit, you would have many
> >more options and would end up with a fatter wallet.

> Do you REALIZE just how much that fatter wallet can WEIGH??
>
> ;)

Haven't you heard? The $US is shrinking on the international monetary
markets, so your wallet doesn't pack the weight it used to. ;-)

> On Aug 18, 2:39 am, James <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Does any bike manufacturer make and sell a light, fast commuter road
> > bike? Here's what I want in a commuter-road:
> >
> > - actually be a road bike
> > - eyelets, front and back, for fenders in winter
> > - brakes that can clear fenders
> > - fairly lightweight (18 or 19 lbs without fenders)
> > - 700 23 tires
> > - reasonably fast geometry (in 56cm wheelbase under 1000mm)

> It does not sound like you need to build up a custom bike. Get a road
> bike that has got what you want minus fender mounts (and maybe require
> a change of brakes) and fashion your own mounts. A walkthrough of a
> hardware store and an old tube to protect the paint on the frame
> should suffice. And if still at a loss for makeshift mounts, UTFSE.
>
> A lot cheaper than building up a full custom. You could even sell the
> old brakes on e-bay.

The other bike that would work is a nicely specified cyclocross frame.
Something with 105 or Ultegra bits from Redline or Kona or anyone else
should fill your specs. I've raced my CX bike with slicks this season,
and it's just a road bike with cantis.

As a third option, I'm pretty sure the Trek Pilot or Cannondale Synapse
line would do the deal. The Pilot has eyelets for sure (you can see them
on their web photos, though I don't know about the brake clearance).