Light/medium touring rims

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by DeF, Feb 14, 2006.

1. DeF

DeF Guest

I have a pair of veloce hubs laced to some
    damaged ambrosia rims (think bike on beak,
    speed humps and excessive speed - horrid noise
    from back of car >shiver<, but I've moved on).

I thought I'd wire the hubs up to some touring
    rims and am finding it difficult to get good info
    on rims. I'd like to put 700x25 or 700x28 tires
    on them and carry a bit of a load on sealed roads.
    So, MA3, A319, A719? I'm pretty heavy (95kg).

Suggestions/experiences welcome.

DeF

--
    e-mail: [email protected]
    To reply, you'll have to remove finger.

Tags:

2. HughMann

HughMann New Member

Having just demolished an Alex DA 16 by just ordinary riding, and have just recently done all the "googling" looking for a replacement this is what I came up with . Thankfully having it replaced on warranty.
    Dont want another Alex if it is only 15 months before the spokes pull thru the rim.
    Looked at the Mavic A719 first but the recommended minimum tyre size is 28 mm and max tyre pressure is 80 (?) PSI. That excludes a lot of good fast tyres for the regular "bunch rides". From what I see its a great tandem rim.
    Have decided on a Mavic Open Pro as the replacement because it will take a 23-28 mm tyre, 120 (?) psi, double eyeleted which apparently makes it super strong and experienced ppl tell me that it will carry me plus a load no problems and for the weight weenies i think its nearly 100 grams lighter than the A719. I am 92kg and only ride sealed surfaces so this might give you something to go on.
    Lost the link but Mavic have a good site, bit slow and cumbersome but the wait is worth it.

cheers hugh