light rear pannier rack for commuting

chero

Aug 22, 2005
I am about to buy a new bike for commuting in order to reduce weight. (Current setup: Giant Cypress hybrid with fenders, rack, light, lock weighs 35 pounds. Route 20 miles round trip 5 times per week). But after I get a 20-24 lb bike and put on a rack, etc., etc., the weight will be creeping up, reducing the benefit of the lighter new bike. I carry about 2-5 pounds of paperwork/lunch/clothes each trip, and don't need a bomb-proof rack for that load. Any recomendations on a particularly light weight rear rack, and possibly an ultralight but waterproof pannier? Are the seat post racks adequate for this purpose, or too flimsy or allow the pannier to swing? A back pack would be lighter, but I want the pannier to cut down on soaking through with sweat on the back and shoulders.

Chero

Hi,

I had a similar story, commuted 5 days a week on a Giant Innova Hybrid (approx 25k round trip) and that was about 21 Kg (45 lbs) with 2 x halogen lights, 2 x LED flashers, panniers, pump, tools etc.

I have now upgraded to a road bike at 8.2 Kg (18 lbs) and love the difference :D Even after adding the essentials (1 light + rear flasher, mini-pump, and a medium wedge bag that holds tube, patch kit, hex tool, levers, wallet, keys, phone) I could feel the difference (up to 11.1 Kg - 24 lbs) so there was no way I wanted a pannier, friends kept telling me they changed the dynamics of your bike ("make it feel like your hybrid" they said!).

So I ended up with one of these: Deuter Race X Air I (check out the Advanced system link)

It doesn't hold much, but it lets my back breath, is well secured, and I hardly notice it is there. It was the best of quite a few backpacks I had tried, and is enough room for a pair of jeans 3-4 shirts and lunch. Also there is a bladder available for it, so I could one day use it for hydration on longer rides.

Brett

BrettD said:
Hi,

I had a similar story, commuted 5 days a week on a Giant Innova Hybrid (approx 25k round trip) and that was about 21 Kg (45 lbs) with 2 x halogen lights, 2 x LED flashers, panniers, pump, tools etc.

I have now upgraded to a road bike at 8.2 Kg (18 lbs) and love the difference :D Even after adding the essentials (1 light + rear flasher, mini-pump, and a medium wedge bag that holds tube, patch kit, hex tool, levers, wallet, keys, phone) I could feel the difference (up to 11.1 Kg - 24 lbs) so there was no way I wanted a pannier, friends kept telling me they changed the dynamics of your bike ("make it feel like your hybrid" they said!).

So I ended up with one of these: Deuter Race X Air I (check out the Advanced system link)

It doesn't hold much, but it lets my back breath, is well secured, and I hardly notice it is there. It was the best of quite a few backpacks I had tried, and is enough room for a pair of jeans 3-4 shirts and lunch. Also there is a bladder available for it, so I could one day use it for hydration on longer rides.

Brett

Thanks very much Brett. I will check it out as it seems like it would help with my main complaint about backpacks, and it is probably as light weight as you can get. Any thoughts from others about backpack vs. rack/panniers and any ultralight racks/pannniers?

Chero

Moots Tailgator rack and pack.

I'm going to start using mine on training rides so I can bring all the tools and tubes I'd ever need as well as extra clothing. Here in the mountains, you can go from freezing to roasting and I just don't have enough jersey pockets to stuff everything into.