Light recommendation

noonievut

Jul 5, 2004
I just started riding to the train station where I catch a commuter train to work. I'm not sure if I should get a light for my bike (riding in daylight now, will get darker in the coming months). I would appreciate feedback from the experience commuters out there. Note - I have reflectors and a blinking light on the back of the bike. Here is some info about my commute:

- only a 10 minute ride
- I can ride on the road (very little traffic), or a sidewalk, or a path through a park (my current route uses a combination of these)
- there are streetlights on most of my existing route, and I can ride under even more streetlights if I stick to the sidewalks

As I have not ridden at night yet, I'm not sure if this route is lit well enough by the streetlights, or how I feel about it. My concerns are being seen (I can accomplish that with the reflectors and blinking lights) and seeing obstacles in front of me. I know (from mountain biking) that high-end lights are expensive...and for my short commute I just don't think it's worth getting a $200-$400 lighting system. So any thoughts?

There's another issue you haven't mentioned, legality. It may be that you are required to have a headlight after dark, but back to topic.
There are many good headlights for the type of use you need. Even in the $25 to $30 range, the technology of today will give you a good bright light with a fairly wide illumination field. Please get something up front. You'll realize after it's there how much you missed it.

same prob here any specific recommendations? any ones you'r stay away from? i'd prefer not to fork out 200-300 usd dave t

Cateye. They usually produce good stuff. The Cateye micro halogen, and Cateye power opticube(model HL-EL510/520) are super little lights and can be had all over the place for under $30. They run on "AA" batteries and the later will make it 20+ hours on lowish setting. It's my current backup/standlight.

NiteRider MiNewt is a great light for less that $100. It recharges with either an outlet charger on the USB port on your computer and can't be overcharged. Lights up the road with a very intense light.

Best bang for your buck is the Magicshine 900. I purchased one through GeoManGear.com, and I couldn't be more happy with it. GeoMan performs a QC check on every light and also includes well written instructions in English. Link: Magicshine 900 lumen Lightset $84.99

Terralux makes a $30 220 lumen flashlight that will serve your needs well. Either put it on the helmet or on the bar with a two fish lockblcok. It runs on AA's. A rechargeable system would be very helpful.

For a cheap tail light get a Planet Bike Superflash.

I ride early morinings in the dark and the set up I have works for me. I use a high quality inexpensive Fenix flashlight Model: TK 11. Its a state of the art LED that is very bright (225 lumens) and has a wide spill beam with an excellent spot. I have it mounted on my handle bar with a Fenix Bike mount. The flashlight runs around $75.00 and the mount $15.00. Its a quick detachable system which means you have a flashlight handy to carry with you if you wish. This is a rugged waterproof tactical flashlight. I like to have my control deck lighted so I also have a Fenix MC 10 angle light mounted on my seatpost just below my seat. Its clipped on to my saddle bag attachment strap. It does a great job and illuminating my control deck and again is waterproof, quick detachable and a rugged flashlight in itself. I use a PAL Safelite in beacon mode attached to my saddle bag for my tail light. Again rugged, waterproof QD and is certified visible for 2 miles.

Yes, you'll want and need good lights front & rear, both to see and to be seen.

Lots of good higher-end front lights, both new & used, on sale at all times on ebay. Suggest you get one that can be mounted on your helmet; you'll be amazed how much better vision you'll get in comparison with a bar-mounted light.

For a rear light, for $25-$30 you can't go wrong with the new Radbot 1000 from Portland Design Works. Twice as bright as the Planet Bike Superflash, and has a built-in reflector (similar in design to, but much brighter than, the Cateye TL-AU100, which seems to be sold only in the UK).

Portland Design Works Radbot 1000 Tail Light, 1-watt LED - AEBike.com

You might consider one of the front/rear light sets from PDW:
lights | Portland Design Works

I'd skip the Radbot 500; why get half the light when for a few $ more, you can get the Radbot 1000 with twice the power.

I ran into a similar problem 2 years ago. I wanted to get a nice light system but could not afford it then. I had an old 4D Mag light laying around, so I replaced the light with an led and cut it down to about 5 inches (right behind the button). Went to a radio shack and bought a 4AA battery holder, ran the wires and then there was light. By swithing to an led I can run the light on AA instead of D's, which saves in weight and bulk. And battery life is very good, I swapped out batteries after a year, not because they were dying but just to be safe.

I know my set up is not as good looking as a $200+ system but it does work and now I can spend my money on other things.

dougyaak said:
Terralux makes a $30 220 lumen flashlight that will serve your needs well. Either put it on the helmet or on the bar with a two fish lockblcok. It runs on AA's. A rechargeable system would be very helpful.

For a cheap tail light get a Planet Bike Superflash.

+1 on the Terralux. That's what I'm running up front for my "see where I'm going in the dark" light. I just cycle through AA rechargable batteries. Each set of two AA rechargables gets me a good hour-plus of light on high. That's two evening commutes for me...