Light tent recommendations for cycling?

Tintin

Guest
Id really like to get into cycle camping because I love camping and I cannot
drive but I do cycle.

Can anyone recommend a "good" tent as oppose to a cheap one that would be
suitable, preferably v compact and light as I do not have panniers and would
need to carry it in a ruck sack.

UK links to stores would be really appreciated and any reviews of your own
too!

Thanks.

"Tintin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Id really like to get into cycle camping because I love camping and I
> cannot drive but I do cycle.
>
> Can anyone recommend a "good" tent as oppose to a cheap one that would be
> suitable, preferably v compact and light as I do not have panniers and
> would need to carry it in a ruck sack.

Sorry, I'm not going to directly answer your question, but...

Get a pannier rack - rucksacks are **** for load carrying while on a bike. A
trailer is another alternative.
(you'll still need compact and light, since panniers don't tend to be that
big.)

cheers,
clive

Tintin wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a "good" tent as oppose to a cheap one that would be
> suitable, preferably v compact and light as I do not have panniers and would
> need to carry it in a ruck sack.

Because cycle camping will typically involve a sleeping bag, mat and
food and cooking supplies as well as a tent you have quite a bit of
baggage overhead. Carrying these sorts of loads in a rucksack over any
distance /Sucks/, which is why very few cycle tourers use rucksacks...

If you're bothering to get a good tent it makes sense to get a good
luggage carrying setup as a start. It really will make your camping
trip much more fun overall.

That said, Usual Suspects would include Hilleberg Akto, Saunders
Jetpacker and Spacepacker, Terra Nova Laser[lite]. The Lasers are the
lightest, Akto is a similar configuration but is sturdier, Spacepacker
has more space. But personally I'd sooner take budget away from the
tent decision and spend it on a rack and panniers as a better
configuration for camping. Since you can get a perfectly ggod rack for
about £15 and serviceable panniers for not /that/ much it's quite
possible you could get a good tent as well as a better place to carry it.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Tintin wrote:
> Id really like to get into cycle camping
> Can anyone recommend a "good" tent

> I do not have panniers and would need to carry it in a ruck sack.

Cycle camping is brilliant - do it.

I use a Saunders Jetpacker for solo camping - light & I've found it
very reliable (mine has lasted 16 years so far). Look for a low-bulk
sleeping bag as well, with a compression sack.

As others have posted, don't use a rucksack. Why hang a load on your
skeleton when it can go on the bike's frame? I use panniers and
handlebar bag, with the tent on the rack.

Jon

Tintin wrote:
> Id really like to get into cycle camping because I love camping and I cannot
> drive but I do cycle.
>
> Can anyone recommend a "good" tent as oppose to a cheap one that would be
> suitable, preferably v compact and light as I do not have panniers and would
> need to carry it in a ruck sack.
>
> UK links to stores would be really appreciated and any reviews of your own
> too!
>
> Thanks.

As others have pointed out; Putting a steel poled ridge tent in a
pannier will be a better option than an £n00 tent on your back.
Really.

Sorry, I have no specific tent recommendations; I tend to drive to a
campsite, and cycle day-rides from there. I have a Coleman 2 person
dome, and found it to be a good value for money 1-2 season tent.

YMMV,
Enjoy,
M.

On Thu, 11 May 2006 11:06:08 +0100, "Tintin"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Id really like to get into cycle camping because I love camping and I cannot
>drive but I do cycle.
>
>Can anyone recommend a "good" tent as oppose to a cheap one that would be
>suitable, preferably v compact and light as I do not have panniers and would
>need to carry it in a ruck sack.
>
>UK links to stores would be really appreciated and any reviews of your own
>too!

Cycle camping is great.

I a Mountain Hardware tent. You'll probably need a two man tent for
one person as you'll need somewhere to put your panniers - and
panniers (or a trailer) are a must if you're cycle camping.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Subcategory.aspx?viewAll=false&top=3&cat=48

Tintin wrote:
> Id really like to get into cycle camping because I love camping and I cannot
> drive but I do cycle.
>
> Can anyone recommend a "good" tent as oppose to a cheap one that would be
> suitable, preferably v compact and light as I do not have panniers and would
> need to carry it in a ruck sack.
>
> UK links to stores would be really appreciated and any reviews of your own
> too!
>
> Thanks.

I use the Coleman Cobra II which I have found to be very good and
sensibly priced, as are most Coleman's.
Last year at the York Rally they were in abundance!

Regards, Kenneth.
www.kmiles.co.uk

"Tintin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Id really like to get into cycle camping because I love camping and I
> cannot drive but I do cycle.
>
> Can anyone recommend a "good" tent as oppose to a cheap one that would be
> suitable, preferably v compact and light as I do not have panniers and
> would need to carry it in a ruck sack.
>
> UK links to stores would be really appreciated and any reviews of your own
> too!
>
> Thanks.

I've used a Terra Nova Voyager tent for solo camping for the last 6 years.
Very good quality, light and no faults yet but fairly expensive.
Rack and panniers recommended.

Ken.

hey, thanks for responding, to those who do cycle camp, whats the situation
with taking bikes on trains to reach near enough your destination? Do you
need to book the space??
What if you cant get on?

Tintin wrote:
> hey, thanks for responding, to those who do cycle camp, whats the situation
> with taking bikes on trains to reach near enough your destination? Do you
> need to book the space??
> What if you cant get on?

That depends on the train. Most long distance trains require booking,
usually free.
This guide has details for most train operators:
http://www.atob.org.uk/Bike_Rail.html

If you can't get on, you wait for the next train. Or cycle instead...

--
Craig Wallace
http://craig.neogeo.org.uk