Light weight road shoe

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by lspeedguy, Mar 4, 2020.

1. lspeedguy

lspeedguy New Member

Haven't bought road shoes in awhile , currently have Shimano with Look cleats (17 years old) - they feel heavy now and was wondering if there are much lighter shoes available these days , recommendations appreciated .

Tags:

2. BrianNystrom

BrianNystrom Active Member

There are some really featherweight shoes on the market now, but be prepared for sticker shock. You can easily drop $400-$500 or more on the lightest road slippers. Keep in mind that while light weight is nice, fit is way more important. In more than 45 years of pedaling, I can honestly say that I have never noticed the weight of my shoes, but I sure as heck noticed whenever my feet hurt! I definitely prefer light bikes, but when it comes to shoes, fit and function are my primary concerns.

3. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Why? there is no performance gain from using those, and if there is it's so infinitely small you would never remotely know it. Most of this weight crap and aero crap is pure nonsense, look a the average speeds of the Tour De France sometime, from the late 70's till 2016 there has only been a 1 1/2 mph increase while racing distances have declined till now! so really the technology we have to pay so dearly for is useless and what brought the speeds up was shortening the race distance. There is a spike you will see when you research that, that happened when Lance Armstrong was racing, when about 95% of the peloton were doping, so it was the doping that increased the speed, once that was virtually stopped the speeds came back down.

So you can spend money up the wazoo for stuff like lightweight shoes but you will never get the results you seek. If you stay in the middle of the road you'll be fine.

Mr. Beanz likes this.