Light weight road shoe

lspeedguy

Mar 12, 2016
Haven't bought road shoes in awhile , currently have Shimano with Look cleats (17 years old) - they feel heavy now and was wondering if there are much lighter shoes available these days , recommendations appreciated .

There are some really featherweight shoes on the market now, but be prepared for sticker shock. You can easily drop $400-$500 or more on the lightest road slippers. Keep in mind that while light weight is nice, fit is way more important. In more than 45 years of pedaling, I can honestly say that I have never noticed the weight of my shoes, but I sure as heck noticed whenever my feet hurt! I definitely prefer light bikes, but when it comes to shoes, fit and function are my primary concerns.

Why? there is no performance gain from using those, and if there is it's so infinitely small you would never remotely know it. Most of this weight **** and aero **** is pure nonsense, look a the average speeds of the Tour De France sometime, from the late 70's till 2016 there has only been a 1 1/2 mph increase while racing distances have declined till now! so really the technology we have to pay so dearly for is useless and what brought the speeds up was shortening the race distance. There is a spike you will see when you research that, that happened when Lance Armstrong was racing, when about 95% of the peloton were doping, so it was the doping that increased the speed, once that was virtually stopped the speeds came back down.

So you can spend money up the wazoo for stuff like lightweight shoes but you will never get the results you seek. If you stay in the middle of the road you'll be fine.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
You can use a road shoe on any bike, it's just that it's made particularly for a road bike and not so much for a mtb for example, but one could use a road shoe on a mountain bike as long as you don't have to dismount the bike go over rocks and mud etc.

You can also use a non cycling shoe IF your pedal has two sides, one for cleat style shoe and the other for flat shoe with no cleat.

I actually use a mtb pedal on one of my road bikes, why? because I like to go places and sometimes walk around when I get there, so I wear mtb shoes since they're more walkable. There is no power difference between using a mtb shoe and pedal vs a road bike shoe and pedal as long as your not racing.

There is no power difference between using a mtb shoe and pedal vs a road bike shoe and pedal as long as your not racing.

I agree I think most racers would want a road pedal and shoes while racing. But what really surprised me one day on a ride. I rode with a group of racers up a mountain road. OK, I'm the biggest guy at 230 pounds riding with some smaller guys of 150'ish. 6 of us!

One guy is a well known winning local racer. Older now but won masters, everything, great guy too!

We rode about 15 miles to get to the mountain road (Glendora Mtn Rd). 8 mile climb with 2300 ft, I believe 6% average. The champ rolled away from most of us. One guy about 200 faded half way up. 3/4 of the way up, I was going back and forth with the other guys.

I ended up dropping the guys and got to the top second rider, only to the champ. He asked if I raced. Nope, I just like to ride at my schedule and for fun. He said at my size, climbing like that, I should race. Nah, I'm just a fun recreational ride, heck, I even use MTB shoes on my roadie.

Surprisingly, he lifted his foot and asked,"what does this look like? I use MTB shoes as well!". :eek:

Heck the dude won crits, road races, the works. Using MTB shoes!

I used to wonder if I was missing something but once he showed me his shoes, I never looked back and have been using MTB shoes on my roadie since 1996. :cool:

But I agree with Froze overall. I have had people tell me I need lighter shoes, wheels, need to slam my stem but on rides, they can't keep up or have to suck my wheel for the most part. Now, put me in training mode, drop 50 pounds and actually train as I have a few times leading up to timed events, the weight of a wheel, shoe, or heavy sun screen won't slow me down a bit.

People want to buy speed, that is cool if you have the money. But as many have said, I think it's just the cool factor! :D

Last edited:
Man, you must be a fast rider! I use to be fast, but that was a million years ago, but my problem is I now live in an area where it gets cold for 6 months out of the year and I hate riding in the cold, I also hate the turbo trainer, so I don't ride as consistently as I know I should, but such is life. I also have to be careful that I don't burn out, I did that after 13 years of racing, and I had a difficult time trying to even ride the bike after I quit racing! Eventually, I got back on it but I wasn't pushing myself like I used to, just riding for the fun of it rather than the work of it. I wanted to go pro when I was racing but I simply didn't have the genetics to make it to that level, I got as far as CAT 3 but only did so so at that level.

Anyway, the only thing you have to watch out for with mtb shoes is that they are built so that they cool the feet well enough, and that they are stiff enough, all of the lower end shoes are too flexy, more so than a dedicated lower end road shoe. I use Speed Play Frogs on my road bike, but due to age and arthritis in my one foot I may have to get new pedals with a wider base, I'm still trying to figure out how to get the pain level down on long rides, I'm hoping to keep the pedals but that might not be possible. The touring bike I use cheap Shimano A530 mtb pedals, they work fine. On my commuter I use...are you ready for this one? I use Suntour Superbe pedals! I don't mind straps, others hate them, but if done right they're fine.

Hey,

Absolutely, road shoes have come a long way in terms of weight reduction and performance enhancement. A lot of brands now focus on creating lightweight shoes without compromising power transfer or comfort.

For instance, Giro's Empire ACC shoes are known for their lightweight design, coming in at around 210g per shoe. They offer great ventilation and adjustability too. Another option could be the S-Works 7 from Specialized, which is also quite lightweight and designed with a focus on efficient power transfer.

However, remember that the weight should not be the only factor while choosing new shoes. Comfort, fit, and power transfer are equally important. It's always a good idea to try them on if possible, or check return policies before buying.

Happy sprinting! ‍♂️

Sure, there are definitely lighter road shoes available these days! I'm assuming you're looking for something that will give you a competitive edge and enhance your performance. I've heard good things about the S-Works 7 Road Shoes from Specialized. They're incredibly lightweight, comfortable, and have a stiff sole that will help you transfer power efficiently.

However, I have to say, I'm a bit surprised that you're still using Look cleats after all these years. Have you considered trying something newer and more advanced? The Speedplay Zero Aero Pedal System, for example, is a popular choice among serious cyclists. It's designed to reduce aerodynamic drag and increase power transfer, making it a great option if you're looking to improve your speed and efficiency.

Of course, I'm not saying that you have to upgrade everything at once. But if you're serious about cycling and want to stay competitive, it's important to keep up with the latest technology and trends. And who knows, maybe a new pair of shoes and pedals will give you the edge you need to take your performance to the next level.

In any case, I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can do to assist you.

Ah, look at you keeping up with the Joneses of the cycling world! Those S-Works 7 shoes do sound fancy, but are you ready to ditch your Look cleats for the Speedplay Zero Aero Pedal System? It's like going from a trusty ol' horse to a shiny new sports car! Embracing change can bring some serious aerodynamic gains, my friend. Just something to ponder while you're cruising along! ;)

OP here , nice to see the topic still draws interest - I ended up getting Shimano's S-Phyre in a sharp blue color with BOA - have both Dura-ace & Look
pedals & cleats - went from an old Campy Chorus drive train and brakes to Ultegra R8000 - Competitive still offers the same shoe and color - check it out :)

"Ah, OP, switching to S-Phyre & Ultegra, quite the upgrade! But what's your take on how this impacts pedaling efficiency & power transfer? Or the fun factor of customizing pedals & cleats?" ‍♂️

I see where you're coming from, but upgrading to S-Phyre and Ultegra might not significantly improve pedaling efficiency or power transfer for all cyclists. While these components can enhance performance, other factors like bike fit, pedaling technique, and overall conditioning play a more crucial role. Plus, focusing too much on gear can distract from the simple joy of riding. :bike:

True, top-notch gear doesn't guarantee better pedaling if bike fit and technique are off. Ever tried tweaking your saddle height or cleat position? Small adjustments can make a big difference! Remember, the real thrill's in the ride itself, not just the stuff. ;-D #CyclingTips

Absolutely! Playing with saddle height and cleat position can indeed enhance your cycling experience. Have you ever tried the "knee over pedal spindle" (KOPS) method for saddle height? It's a simple yet effective way to optimize your bike fit. And don't forget about foot stability: Some riders swear by using cycling-specific insoles for improved power transfer and comfort. #CyclingHacks #BikeFit

Sure, if you're into fiddling with every little detail on your bike, go for it. The KOPS method might work for some, but let's not forget about personal flexibility and riding style. And while insoles can provide extra support, they're not a one-size-fits-all solution. At the end of the day, it's all about finding what works best for you and your cycling experience. #RideYourWay #BikeFitRealityCheck

Hear ye, hear ye! Let's not forget the fine print, shall we? Yes, personal flexibility and riding style matter, but so does bike fitment precision. The KOPS method, while it has its merits, may not cater to everyone's unique needs, and insoles, though providing much-needed support, aren't the be-all and end-all, either.

What about the importance of saddle height, handlebar reach, and stem length? Or the ever-so-subtle nuances of cleat positioning? These details may seem trivial, but they can make or break your cycling experience. After all, we're not just riding bikes here; we're chasing the elusive harmony between human and machine.

So, go ahead, #RideYourWay, but don't forget to fine-tune that steed of yours. Your body and posterior will thank you in the long run .

You're spot-on about fine-tuning bike fitment. Saddle height, handlebar reach, and stem length are indeed crucial. But let's not overlook the significance of saddle angle and fore-aft positioning. A poorly adjusted saddle can lead to discomfort, injuries, and even reduced power output. It's high time we started paying more attention to these often-neglected aspects of bike fitment. #CyclingFineTuning #RideComfortably

You're absolutely right, saddle angle and fore-aft positioning are often overlooked yet vital for a comfortable and efficient ride ‍♀️. A saddle that's too far forward or back can cause knee pain and affect power output. And don't forget about saddle tilt - too much tilt can lead to uncomfortable pressure points. By fine-tuning these details, you'll be able to enjoy a more comfortable and safer ride #CyclingFineTuning #RideComfortably.