Lighten it Up!

specialized26

Aug 24, 2005
I have a specialized allez comp tripple. It is pretty light, maybe 17.5-18.5 lbs, not totally sure. What are some good easy and not terribly expensive ways to make it a bit lighter?
Justin

List the parts then maybe we all can take a shot at it ...oh, ditch the bacon :D

boudreaux said:
Ditch the excess bacon.
Heh, had to laugh at the bloke in the LBS who was ~15kg overweight, spending big $$$ on components that would save him 100's of grams in weight :rolleyes:

Even if you're not overweight, there isn't much to be gained from trying to shave bike weight. If you only weigh 150 pounds, then a 0.5 pound reduction (which could easily cost you up to $1000) will only reduce the total weight of you+bike by about 0.3%.

make your motor stronger. i have never been a big fan of the chi-chi expensive light parts. then again i still ride a steel frame with standard dura-ace compenents. I am more concerned about quality and durabilty on my bike than overall weight. I always feel need to make my motor stronger.

You don't have to make your bike lighter. You just have to train a lot to lose weight and gain speed and work on your aerobic engine. I have 4 road bikes, but my top speeds as of this year are as follows: 2004.5 Giant OCR 1 29 lbs with 2 Jandd panniers - 29.8 mph flats no wind ; 2005 Kestrel Talon Eurus wheels Ultegra Drivetrain 19 lbs 29.7 mph flats no wind ; 2003 Cervelo Soloist Team all Dura Ace 7700 Ksyrium SL's 17.4 lbs 29 mph against a headwind.

So it's kinda funny that I hit my highest top speed this year on my commuter bike instead of my racing bike!

My highest top speed ever was on the Cervelo at 32.9 mph Flats no wind. That was at last year's best form.

specialized26 said:
What are some good easy and not terribly expensive ways to make it a bit lighter?
Justin
I don't disagree with what's already been said. But, to your point: Change from triple to compact double will be about a pound. Maybe a little on the wheels depending on what you have. Beyond that you're chasing grams.

I went from a Truvativ Elita Triple to Ritchey WCS compact. It can be done for <$200.:)

khackney said:
I don't disagree with what's already been said. But, to your point: Change from triple to compact double will be about a pound.
Depends on which triple going to which double. If it's the same manufacturer and same component level, it's closer to a half pound.

Rideastrong said:
then again i still ride a steel frame with standard dura-ace compenents.
Using Dura-ace and "standard" in the same sentence makes me go :D

I wonder how my components would be listed on a scale where Dura-ace meant standard... :eek: My guess is that I couldn't even call mine Shimano on that scale, even though they have that name on them. ;)