Lighten my bike

Hypnospin said:
carry one bottle on shorter rides, on longer too, if you can fill up en route. good for around a pound, many spend big for that.
On supported rides it makes sense to me, but on group rides with no support if I stop to fill up the group is gone.
I have, however, arrived at the finish with a full bottle left over.

alienator said:
Zipp 303's would be alright, but before I went that route, I'd go with either Reynolds DV46's or MV32's: DV46's will be more durable, light(er), nearly as aero, and would have better hubs (DT's); MV32's would be a tad less aero but lighter still, and would still come with DT hubs. You should also consider just about any wheelset with Gigantex 50mm rims: they are aero, have pretty good hubs, are less expensive, and still only weigh 1380-1400g ± a few grams. My current daily wheels tubulars that have 55 rims, DT hubs, Aerolite spokes, and weigh 1390g. The difference between that wheelset, 1100g, and 880g wheelsets only becomes questionably noticeable on grades 15% or greater (for me), so don't swallow too much of the light wheel kool aid. FWIW I don't have any issues in windy/gusty conditions.

Whatever wheels you get, if they end up being CF, make sure the wheels have black spokes, black hubs, and have all decals removed: all black wheels are 7-11x faster than any other wheels. I even went so far as to get new, black, Campy Record skewers to transform the typical Performance Envelope Edge Effect's negative step function for all black wheels to a smoother negative Error Function.

In spite of this great advice I ended up with Zipp 303s. They were barely used and inexpensive compared to the others I could find. I am hoping the hubs are sufficient. I haven't taken off the decals yet.
I felt them a little in a crosswind but got used to it pretty quick.
Not sure if I'm faster but they are a much better ride than my others and seem to corner better.

Are aero wheels a drag when the wind hits them at a side on angle?
Are they like a sail if you ride off the wind like on a windsurfer?