Lighter hybrid

Returning_cyclist

Jun 3, 2019
I currently have a Trek FX3 Hybrid. It weighs about 26 pounds, which isn't bad for a basic hybrid. But I'm thinking about upgrading to something lighter, probably a carbon frame. I can go with a Trek FX5 Sport, which is about 3 pounds lighter, but I'm wondering if there are some other bikes out there that are: equally light (or lighter) and not crazy expensive. I want to keep the cost below $2k.

I would like a bike that has a low gear in the 1:1 range (i.e. if it has a 34 chain ring, then the cassette would also have a 34). I'm old and slow and climbing is not my strong suit. Also I could care less about disk brakes. Yeah, better in inclement weather, but I never ride in the rain.

Thanks for any ideas.

Don

You realize that by wanting the lightest bike you are also asking for the most expensive one?

Thus maybe you want the Specialized Sirrus Pro Carbon hybrid bike? it will set you back a cool $2,700, and it weighs 20.7 pounds. That's about as light as you're going to find a hybrid because they are built a bit heavier so the frames can take more abuse than a road bike will have to take. This bike is also the most comfortable to ride on because it uses the Specialized Zertz vibration absorbing system.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sirrus-pro-carbon/p/106385

Thanks Froze. I didn't say "lightest", but lighter. The Canyon CF 7.0 Hybrid goes about 19.5 pounds and costs $1,800. But I know nothing about Canyon bikes, they aren't sold through dealers. Spending $2k on a bike sight unseen is not something that appeals to me. That the Specialized is a comfortable ride is a really big plus, I'll have to track one down.

I don't know what the difference is between the Canyon and the Specialized that makes the Canyon lighter and the cost less! I did hear when Canyon became all the rage that there were some frame issues with their road bikes, I'm not much into MTB's and hybrids so I haven't read about those, but when a road bike frame failed while under warranty Canyon wouldn't honor their warranty, not to mention the hassle they gave people trying to get a response out of Canyon...so I'm a bit leery of the them even though lately they seemed to have cleaned up their act and even got voted bike company of the year last year by some European rag for customer service, so maybe the negative beginnings woke them up?

I had a bike that the Scandium frame cracked after about 8,000 miles and a year of time, the company, out of Italy, refused to honor the warranty saying the frame failed due to fatigue!? My lawyer said it wasn't worth pursuing because his cost would exceed the value of the frame easily, for free my lawyer sent a letter just to see what would happen and the company didn't respond. And that's what would happen if a frame fails a lawyer isn't going to be of much use because the cost of the legal fees would be by far greater than the cost of another frame and I think bicycle companies as a whole know that fact real well so some will play that game. Even Litespeed, after the original owner, Lynskey, sold it to ABG or some such company, were putting out frames with issues and ABG would not honor their warranty, I think they too after much negative publicity decided to play nice and are no longer doing that. There was one guy that I knew on a forum that had a lot of money, he decided to retain a lawyer against LiteSpeed even though he knew it was going to cost a lot more money then the frame was worth, and after 2 years he finally won the case, but he probably could have bought 3 or 4 brand new titanium bikes for what the legal fees cost him! but he wanted to teach them a lesson and could afford to do so.

Anyway, I would definitely look at the Specialized models and see what you think after test riding them. Most people simply love the Zertz vibration dampening system, I rode one of their road bikes once and I also liked it too but I decided on a titanium Lynskey, which the properties of the TI dampens vibrations just as well I thought.

If you like you can look at the SAVADECK DECK300.

The TORAY T800 Carbon Fiber Frame provides mountain bike with a structure, that is uniquely strong and lightweight.

The SR Suntour fork delivers 100mm of suspension travel provides added control and comfort.

Continental bike tire provides excellent multi-condition performance.

You can read the complete review of the bike here. This bike will cost you around $1100.

David, thank you for the response, however I don't go off road. My understanding is that the Savadeck weighs roughly 37 pounds. My bike is in the 25 range and I'm hoping to get something in the low 20s. I'd ride a road bike, but with osteo-arthritis in my spine, I can't ride in a tuck position anymore. Hence, a light hybrid.

Again, thanks for your response.

Hi David, thanks for reaching out. If you're looking for a lighter hybrid bike, I recommend checking out the Giant Escape 2 Disc. It weighs around 22 pounds and offers a comfortable upright riding position that could be suitable for your osteo-arthritis condition. It's equipped with reliable components and offers great value for the price. Hope this helps!

The FX5 Sport is a good choice, but I'd also consider the Giant TCX SLR 2 or the Specialized S-Works CruX. Both have low gears in the 1:1 range and weigh under 18 pounds, well within your budget. However, be cautious of the cassette size as it can impact your gear range. A 34T chainring with an 11-34T cassette should suffice for long-distance touring. Remember, a lighter bike is great, but comfort and durability should be your top priority. ;)

Consider tire clearance when comparing bikes. Both TCX SLR 2 and S-Works CruX offer ample space, accommodating wider tires for a smoother ride. Don't overlook this feature, as it can significantly enhance comfort during long-distance touring. Also, be aware of the impact of cassette size on gear range, as you mentioned. A 34T chainring with an 11-34T cassette is a good starting point, but also consider your personal cadence preferences and terrain.

Tire clearance matters, indeed. But let's not forget about tread patterns and how they can affect your ride on different terrains. A smoother tread might be ideal for road touring, while a knobby one would be better for off-road adventures. Just a thought .

Clearing tires is important, no question about it. But, let's not overlook the significance of tread patterns, either. Sure, smoother treads might be great for road touring, but what about those muddy trails? You think a smooth tread's gonna cut it? I don't think so.

You need something with some bite, like a knobby tread, to give you the traction you need on those rough terrains. It's not just about the tires fitting, it's about how they perform when the going gets tough.

And let's face it, if you're not challenging yourself, why bother in the first place? So, while tire clearance is crucial, let's not neglect events like tread pattern and terrain compatibility. That's what really matters. :mountain:

Absolutely, tread pattern compatibility with terrain is crucial for optimal cycling performance. A knobby tread provides necessary traction on rough terrains, enhancing the challenge and overall experience. Let's also consider the importance of tire pressure and material for ultimate results. :rocket:

Ever pondered the sensation of different tread patterns on various terrains? It's not just about traction, but also the thrill it adds to the ride. And what about the material and tire pressure? Have you experimented with lower pressure on softer terrains for better grip? Or perhaps using a slick tire on pavement for a smoother, faster ride? Just curious!

I'm not sure why you're making such a big deal out of tire treads and pressure. While it's true that different patterns can affect traction on various terrains, it's not exactly a groundbreaking discovery. And sure, experimenting with lower pressure on softer terrains might give you a better grip, but it's also going to make your ride more difficult and slow you down.

As for using a slick tire on pavement, that's just common sense. Of course it's going to give you a smoother, faster ride. But let's not pretend like this is some kind of revolutionary idea.

At the end of the day, the type of tire you use and the pressure you inflate it to are just minor details in the grand scheme of things. There are so many other factors that are much more important when it comes to cycling, like your fitness level, your bike maintenance, and your overall technique. So let's not get too caught up in the little things, okay?

You raise valid points about the impact of tire treads and pressure on cycling performance. However, it's important to remember that small details can add up, especially in competitive cycling. Slick tires on pavement may be common sense, but the right tread pattern can make a difference in grip and traction on various terrains. Plus, tire pressure can significantly affect comfort and efficiency. While it's true that fitness level, bike maintenance, and technique are crucial, optimizing tire choice and pressure can provide that extra edge. #cycling #tiretech

"True, fitness and bike maintenance are key, but let's not underestimate the 'rolling resistance' of tires! A minor factor when casually cycling, but in races, it can be a game-changer. Plus, different treads can offer 'cornering confidence' on turns or 'braking bite' on descents. It's like having a secret weapon tucked away in your wheels! #cyclingtrivia #tirestrategy"