Lighter weight cross bike? Lighter than Surly Cross Check

I've been reading some reviews of the Surly Cross Check
and one of the "cons" was that its on heavy side.

Any opinions on ways to lighten it up? Or maybe other
brands of cross bikes that are lighter?

the heavy weight was one reason I didn't like the REI
Randonee

On Jun 17, 12:27 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> I've been reading some reviews of the Surly Cross Check
> and one of the "cons" was that its on heavy side.
>
> Any opinions on ways to lighten it up? Or maybe other
> brands of cross bikes that are lighter?
>
> the heavy weight was one reason I didn't like the REI
> Randonee

First thing is: Learn the weight of the frame and fork. There seems no
end of comparisons between built-up weights of bikes based on 4lb vs 7
lb frame/fork combos wherein a built weight difference of 8-10 lb is
attributed to the initial 3 lb difference. As though mass was
multiplicative and the heavier (and likely stronger and more robust)
frame/fork DEMANDED heavier parts to hold the bike together.

Harry Travis

On Jun 17, 11:27 am, [email protected] wrote:
> I've been reading some reviews of the Surly Cross Check
> and one of the "cons" was that its on heavy side.
>
> Any opinions on ways to lighten it up? Or maybe other
> brands of cross bikes that are lighter?
>
> the heavy weight was one reason I didn't like the REI
> Randonee

Someone told you not to like it for that reason, eh? I have a feeling
that whatever you get--you'll surely find something wrong with it!

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Jun 17, 12:27 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>> I've been reading some reviews of the Surly Cross Check
>> and one of the "cons" was that its on heavy side.
>>
>> Any opinions on ways to lighten it up? Or maybe other
>> brands of cross bikes that are lighter?
>>
>> the heavy weight was one reason I didn't like the REI
>> Randonee

> First thing is: Learn the weight of the frame and fork. There seems no
> end of comparisons between built-up weights of bikes based on 4lb vs 7
> lb frame/fork combos wherein a built weight difference of 8-10 lb is
> attributed to the initial 3 lb difference. As though mass was
> multiplicative and the heavier (and likely stronger and more robust)
> frame/fork DEMANDED heavier parts to hold the bike together.

For those who can't follow Harry's ideas - if you're going to compare bikes,
the components should weigh the same from bike to bike and the small
difference in weight from steel frame to high priced carbon fiber begins to
look ridiculously small.

If you're racing the weight difference might be significant (unlikely unless
you're in the top categories) but if you're just a recreational rider the
carbon frame purchase is not just wasted money but the frame/fork cannot
last anywhere near as long or put up with the misuse that a steel frame/fork
will.

> I've been reading some reviews of the Surly Cross Check
> and one of the "cons" was that its on heavy side.
>
> Any opinions on ways to lighten it up? Or maybe other
> brands of cross bikes that are lighter?
>
> the heavy weight was one reason I didn't like the REI
> Randonee

It is not enough heavier to matter.
Look closely at the frame. Does it look well made?
That extra weight might be well placed,
giving you a superior frame.

--
Michael Press

[email protected] skrev:
> I've been reading some reviews of the Surly Cross Check
> and one of the "cons" was that its on heavy side.
>
> Any opinions on ways to lighten it up? Or maybe other
> brands of cross bikes that are lighter?
>
> the heavy weight was one reason I didn't like the REI
> Randonee

If you want to actually race Cyclo-cross races with the intend to get
a good placement in the race, then the Surly Cross Check isn't the
best choice because its extra weight becomes a drag every time you
have to lift it up and run.
If you just want a versatile bike that can function as a fat tire road
bike or a single speed/fixie or flat bar internal gear hub bike,
touring bike, commuter, off road bike, ice racing etc, then the Cross
Check is hard to beat.

It really doesn't make sense to lighten a steel bike like the Cross
Check with expensive light parts like Campagnolo Record, Zipp tubular
carbon wheels etc.
There are of course lots of cyclo-cross bikes lighter than the Cross
Check, but it all depends on what you want to use the bike for. If you
want a commuter bike, then be aware that few real CX bikes has eyelets
for racks and fenders.

--
Regards

http://www.rideblue.com

On Jun 17, 10:27 am, [email protected] wrote:
> I've been reading some reviews of the Surly Cross Check
> and one of the "cons" was that its on heavy side.
>
> Any opinions on ways to lighten it up? Or maybe other
> brands of cross bikes that are lighter?
>
> the heavy weight was one reason I didn't like the REI
> Randonee

Are ya gonna race it or is it an all-arounder, do everything bike? If
the latter, the Surley is fine and dandy as is the Soma. BUT get the
one that fits the best. Spending lots of $ to reduce something by 1
or 2% of the bike and rider total doesn't make sense.

In article
<f8399dd8-efa3-4121-bd25-724198f27d62@i36g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Jun 17, 10:27 am, [email protected] wrote:
> > I've been reading some reviews of the Surly Cross Check
> > and one of the "cons" was that its on heavy side.
> >
> > Any opinions on ways to lighten it up? Or maybe other
> > brands of cross bikes that are lighter?
> >
> > the heavy weight was one reason I didn't like the REI
> > Randonee

> Are ya gonna race it or is it an all-arounder, do everything bike? If
> the latter, the Surley is fine and dandy as is the Soma. BUT get the
> one that fits the best. Spending lots of $ to reduce something by 1
> or 2% of the bike and rider total doesn't make sense.

True enough. That said, the short version of why the Surly Cross-Check
is a pound or two heavier than light CX bikes is because it uses a
conservatively built steel frame.

That's a design decision, and a supportable one, but maybe not the first
choice for a race bike. The Blues Peter linked to sure look reasonable.
The 1560g frame for $625 verges on a price/performance record in the
category.

> That's a design decision, and a supportable one, but maybe not the first
> choice for a race bike. The Blues Peter linked to sure look reasonable.
> The 1560g frame for $625 verges on a price/performance record in the
> category.

I suggest you don't look at the Raleigh Team Cross in that case. Wouldn't
want you to have a hemorrhage.

I don't get it. Is the OP complaining that the Surly is heavy for a
cross bike? Well that's because a cross bike has cantilever brakes,
somewhat more relaxed and upright geometry, and wide clearances.
Those are all nicely compatible for a sport bike. So Surly makes a
sport bike frame with double eyelets and calls it a cross frame for
the panache.

But the Randonee is a pure tour bike. Like the Surly Long Haul
Trucker. They are supposed to be strong first, light second.

JG

On Jun 17, 9:27 am, [email protected] wrote:
> I've been reading some reviews of the Surly Cross Check
> and one of the "cons" was that its on heavy side.
>
> Any opinions on ways to lighten it up? Or maybe other
> brands of cross bikes that are lighter?
>
> the heavy weight was one reason I didn't like the REI
> Randonee

Light but not cheap, Brent Steelmans are hand made in California not
Taiwan.
and then there are full carbon fiber race bikes , see www.cyclocrossworld.com
... thats what they do , equip racers to race cross, Colorado based
Sibex Sports has a Russian Aerospace shop build frames and forks from
Titanium

and : Redline from SBS Seattle Bike Supply do an aluminum frame and
fork machine.
U pick parts group will allow you to use lighter components.