Lightest Chinese Tubular wheels?

Ultegra134

May 11, 2014
In 2013 I wanted a light carbon wheelset for my races.Due to my budget, I could only buy chinese wheels. I wanted something to combine aerodynamic and the extremely low weight.That's why I was looking for something between 30-35mm.However, I couldn't find something on Ebay. I started searching up on Alibaba, and found a lightweight and nice looking wheelset.It was more costly than the wheelsets found on ebay by known sellers.I contacted Betty through skype, since their light wheelset (1000grams) had 32mm deep rim profile, which seemed what I needed, with foam core rim made using Toray T1000 M40 And T700.I was still worried about buying from them since I hadn't found any reviews on any forums. The support was great, Betty answered all my questions, we were talking for about an hour, even regarding technical issues.She was also online whenever I had a question I was provided many photos of their products on the spot. I was also provided with a titanium QR set, valve extenders,brake pads a double-sided wheelbag and two spare spokes.Betty asked me to confirm the order and my details to make sure everything would be fine.I paid through paypal, I received photos of the wheels and parcel before shipping it to EMS and later I was given the tracking number.And the Package arrived in 9 days. Unfortunately the wheels after some rides developed a small crack in the braking surface(Sorry, I do not have the photo, I recently formatted my PC).I contacted Betty and she told me that they would send me a new wheelset from the 2014 range where this issue was dealt with.After a day or two later, I received the tracking number and the wheels arrived in 8 days.The braking surface seemed slightly different than in my last wheelset.If I am not mistaken since it was long time ago.I've ridden these wheels for some time now, did some sprints on them, climbing, downhill while pressing for a long time the brake and they seemed fine so far.My bicycle now feels more stiff and climbs a lot better than it used to with my old Mavic Aksium wheels. Here are some photos

Good info. I'll tell my friend...the one that bought the $400 carbon 'Dura-Ace' clinchers to see if he can get a new pair. His brake tracks wore and changed color. The brake tracks also exhibited micro-cracking. The rear rim also developed a crack during the first week it was in service.

Originally Posted by Ultegra134 Unfortunately the wheels after some rides developed a small crack in the braking surface(Sorry, I do not have the photo, I recently formatted my PC).I contacted Betty and she told me that they would send me a new wheelset from the 2014 range where this issue was dealt with.
See this is the problem with Carbon Wheels from china.

I do want a pair of Carbon Wheels, and China is an option I'm not a china carbon basher. Just bought a CX carbon frame from china.

But here they were clearly selling a product that has a known issue and not warning before hand. Any decent manufacturer would recall a product with an issue somewhere so important as the brake track that they were aware of!

Ok you can also argue that they were not aware at the time but I see hundreds of Carbon Wheels from 2013 without Basalt breaking surfaces that are failures waiting to happen all over Ebay and Ali Express. They just don't give a rats ****.

If someone will buy it they'll sell it. And someone will buy it at a cheap price. But were not talking about cheap bargain bins like clothes or bib shorts. These are wheels, rims and breaks, the only thing stopping you falling off a cliff while descending or smashing into the ground at 30+mph.

I would never buy carbon wheels without the Basalt breaking surface but at the end of the day you shouldn’t be pleased they resolved the issue. Really you should be pretty relieved that they never failed catastrophically.