Lightest large platform pedals?????

Bruce L

Dec 31, 2003
Looking for lightest large platform pedals. What would be your recommendations

Ahem Julian those although sweet pedals I´m sure, are not platform pedals.
I just bought a pair of Crankbrother Mallet C which are a combination of clipless and platforms. 570 grams a pair for more stability on technical tracks. I only ride mtb when snows stops me from getting on my roadbike so I´m not good at the technical stuff and need the extra balance a platform gives.

The are the Time Control Z who weigh 520 grams a pair. But they are also clipless/platforms. Other basic platforms are Atomlab's TrailKing Pedals, DMR's V12
What is the primary use for them? Freeride, dirtbike,urban or just XC like me?

easton "cully signature" are pure platform and weigh in at 530g.

Originally posted by rv
easton "cully signature" are pure platform and weigh in at 530g.

That is what I have on my SS Diss, they are great. huge, light, grippy surface and the perfect color, black...

George

Originally posted by Julian Radowsky
Shimano 2004 Dura Ace SPD-SL, about 270g / pair.

What kind of biking do you do? Commuting? Training? Fun?
What kind of shoes will you be using with the pedals? Regular jogging shoes? Special biking shoes? Do you have anything against toeclips and straps?
These are all important Qs to be answered before a pedal can be suggested. If you will be riding in stop and go city traffic perhaps toeclips will be a nuisance. Otherwise a good all around super quality platform which I can recommend from personal exp. is the Campagnolo Victory aero style pedal from the 80s. They can still be purchased at ebay.com from time to time for $20-$60 depending on condition. They provide excellent support when using regular soft soled athletic shoes. One drawback is that they don't have a really pronounced spur for flipping up the pedal to get your foot in. This makes them less convenient for stop and go riding. They have extreme high quality bearings which will last for a lifeytime of riding if properly maintained and they are fanastic to look at also. I have several pairs of vintage Campy aero style pedals, I can send you some pics or you could just go to ebay and search for campagnolo pedals and do some window shopping. The Shimano aeros from the same period go for less money so bargains are available but watch out... don't accidently buy a set of 600 or Dura Ace AX pedals!!! they used an odd ball giant thread that will only fit in AX cranks. Hope this helps.... chuck