lightest possible 406 mm rim folding bike for all around use



H

hp

Guest
Am looking for an alloy frame 406 mm folding bike that can be both
light and carry fully loaded panniers if need be.

Can anyone pls advise?
 
Q

Qui si parla Campagnolo

Guest
hp wrote:
> Am looking for an alloy frame 406 mm folding bike that can be both
> light and carry fully loaded panniers if need be.
>
> Can anyone pls advise?


why does it need to have teeny wheels??
 

daveornee

New Member
Sep 18, 2003
2,763
0
0
hp said:
Am looking for an alloy frame 406 mm folding bike that can be both
light and carry fully loaded panniers if need be.

Can anyone pls advise?
Light and strong work in opposite directions as you know.
Velocity makes a range of rims and even has drilling choices within them.
Aeroheat AT is one of thier lightest at 300 g for a 406 mm Bead Seat Diameter rim. It's outside width is 24 mm. I use these rims and have built them for folding and recumbent bicycles with good results. I am holding a 28 spoke one built on XTR hub at this time.... 658 grams with QR and Veloplugs.
Taipan is heavier and wider, but is better if real wide tires are your plan.
Deep V is also heavier, but narrower... and great if you want narrow tires and a very stiff wheels. I have done these for BMX.
Razor is a narrow rim that Velocity says is the same weight as Aeroheat AT, but I think it is slightly lighter and builds a nice wheel for narrow tires.
Take a look at:
http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=567
However, some of the details should come direct from someone who deals with Velocity.. like me or Peter Chisholm at Vecchios.
You you give some details as what tires... including width and what maximum load you intend.
Also, if you will be traveling where replacement parts are hard to get, 36H 406 BSD rims are easier to find than 28H or even 32H.... but 32H hubs are usually the easiest to find in MTB and Road bicycle models.
Sun Rims makes quite a few models, but I don't have many or deal directly with them.
dave at ornee dot net
 

daveornee

New Member
Sep 18, 2003
2,763
0
0
daveornee said:
Light and strong work in opposite directions as you know.
Velocity makes a range of rims and even has drilling choices within them.
Aeroheat AT is one of thier lightest at 300 g for a 406 mm Bead Seat Diameter rim. It's outside width is 24 mm. I use these rims and have built them for folding and recumbent bicycles with good results. I am holding a 28 spoke one built on XTR hub at this time.... 658 grams with QR and Veloplugs.
Taipan is heavier and wider, but is better if real wide tires are your plan.
Deep V is also heavier, but narrower... and great if you want narrow tires and a very stiff wheels. I have done these for BMX.
Razor is a narrow rim that Velocity says is the same weight as Aeroheat AT, but I think it is slightly lighter and builds a nice wheel for narrow tires.
Take a look at:
http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=567
However, some of the details should come direct from someone who deals with Velocity.. like me or Peter Chisholm at Vecchios.
You you give some details as what tires... including width and what maximum load you intend.
Also, if you will be traveling where replacement parts are hard to get, 36H 406 BSD rims are easier to find than 28H or even 32H.... but 32H hubs are usually the easiest to find in MTB and Road bicycle models.
Sun Rims makes quite a few models, but I don't have many or deal directly with them.
dave at ornee dot net
As a further thought, Bike Friday makes loads of these kinds of bicycles and equips many of them with the DM18 Alex Rim (32H) on the ones I have seen and ridden. You might look for a dealer that specializes in Bike Friday.
 
D

DougC

Guest
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> hp wrote:
>> Am looking for an alloy frame 406 mm folding bike that can be both
>> light and carry fully loaded panniers if need be.
>>
>> Can anyone pls advise?

>
> why does it need to have teeny wheels??
>


Well because to pack down small--if it had big wheels, they'd need to be
/folding/ wheels. I dunno anybody doing that yet.
------------
Serious answer: Bike Friday or Moulton, both are good though perhaps not
available with alloy frames. If there was any great advantage to using
alloy I'd bet they'd be doing it.

The prices of both are rather a$tonishing however; in that regard it's
just choosing your poison. But you can get full touring rack setups for
some of both companies bikes.
~
 
Q

Qui si parla Campagnolo

Guest
DougC wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > hp wrote:
> >> Am looking for an alloy frame 406 mm folding bike that can be both
> >> light and carry fully loaded panniers if need be.
> >>
> >> Can anyone pls advise?

> >
> > why does it need to have teeny wheels??
> >

>
> Well because to pack down small--if it had big wheels, they'd need to be
> /folding/ wheels. I dunno anybody doing that yet.


But how much smaller is the suitcase when compared to a Ritchey
Breakaway?? Do you have a maximum suitcase size??
> ------------
> Serious answer: Bike Friday or Moulton, both are good though perhaps not
> available with alloy frames. If there was any great advantage to using
> alloy I'd bet they'd be doing it.
>
> The prices of both are rather a$tonishing however; in that regard it's
> just choosing your poison. But you can get full touring rack setups for
> some of both companies bikes.
> ~
 
G

Gary Young

Guest
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 13:11:41 -0800, hp wrote:

> Am looking for an alloy frame 406 mm folding bike that can be both light
> and carry fully loaded panniers if need be.
>
> Can anyone pls advise?


The Swift Folder (now known as the Xootr Swift) is very popular in NYC.
According to this webpage, the stock configuration is 22 lbs.:

http://www.xootr.com/xootr/swift/specifications.shtml


I believe you can buy it as just a frameset if you want to use your own
lighter parts.

That same page also says that the rear dropouts have fender and rack
eyelets. I've never seen one with a rack, but you could probably jury-rig
something without too much trouble.

You could also use one of those quick-release seatpost racks. Some of them
have dropdown wings so that you can attach the hook at the bottom of your
panniers. Here's one example:

http://tinyurl.com/ylnjny