lightest seatpost rack?

chris c

Guest
Ok, who makes the lightest seatpost rack (quick release preferred)? Sick of
trying to stuff rain gear etc. in a small wedge pack. Thanks

chris c wrote:
> Ok, who makes the lightest seatpost rack (quick release preferred)? Sick of
> trying to stuff rain gear etc. in a small wedge pack. Thanks

Why does it have to be a seatpost rack? Are you riding a
fully-suspended offroad bike?

Your options:

1) A seatpost rack, plus a rack trunk. I don't know about you, but I
certainly don't like the feeling of that much bulk sitting on what is
essentially a leaf spring anchored to my seatpost. Failure mode here
is likely to be catastrophic, too.

2) A real rear rack, and suitable luggage. My preferred suggestion.
But, if you don't want to go that route, there's always

3) Old-style saddlebags. Super expensive, but they do fill the gap,
spacewise, between having just a small toolkit and having a full rear
rack. Carradice, Rivendell (Baggins), and Gilles Berthoud are the
three I can think of. You will also need to find some way of securing
these to your saddle (saddle loops).

If you ask me, I'd go with a proper rack and be done with it. Seatpost
racks are strange animals, the purpose of which I never understood.

Luigi de Guzman wrote:

> 1) A seatpost rack, plus a rack trunk. I don't know about you, but I
> certainly don't like the feeling of that much bulk sitting on what is
> essentially a leaf spring anchored to my seatpost. Failure mode here
> is likely to be catastrophic, too.

The ones I've seen (and the one I own and use) have a 25lb weight limit,
which is way more than I ever carry. They're fine for light loads like that.

> If you ask me, I'd go with a proper rack and be done with it. Seatpost
> racks are strange animals, the purpose of which I never understood.

They're cheap and much easier to fit & remove, especially if they have a
QR. The only thing to watch for is that you have enough seatpost if
you're going to use a trunk bag with it.

all i want is a very light rack that i can strap a rainsuit and maybe a
jersey, etc.) to . I don't need saddlebags or anything like that. I am
riding a road performance bike and want to keep the weight down.

news:[email protected]...

"chris c" <[email protected]> writes:

> all i want is a very light rack that i can strap a rainsuit and maybe a
> jersey, etc.) to . I don't need saddlebags or anything like that. I am
> riding a road performance bike and want to keep the weight down.

A carrier bag and a bungee with two hooks! Light, cheap and removable.

--

"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Luigi de Guzman wrote:
>
>> If you ask me, I'd go with a proper rack and be done with it. Seatpost
>> racks are strange animals, the purpose of which I never understood.

> They're cheap and much easier to fit & remove, especially if they have a
> QR. The only thing to watch for is that you have enough seatpost if you're
> going to use a trunk bag with it.

That's a good point, although I would think you would be one of the least
likely people to have this problem (given your height).

Another thing to watch out for is that the QR isn't where it is going to rub
against your thigh as you pedal. This will get very old very quickly. Of
course, they are designed to avoid it, but they can't be designed for all
possible bikes/riders/methods of pedaling.

Back to the O.P.'s question: I would go with one that looks solid and has a
QR that seems strong and intuitive to you. If you need a rack in the first
place, strength and ease of use is more important than weight.

I have a Topeak, and a Topeak rack trunk that will easily lock in and out of
it. I'd recommend this system if you are going to use a rack trunk and take
it off and on a lot.

I personally prefer a regular rack locked on at 3 or 4 points, but the
seatpost rack is useful for bikes in the household that I haven't put a rack
on.

chris c wrote:
> all i want is a very light rack that i can strap a rainsuit and maybe a
> jersey, etc.) to . I don't need saddlebags or anything like that. I am
> riding a road performance bike and want to keep the weight down.

Have you considered a handlebar bag? They're lighter than a seatpost
rack, unless you go overboard and get a footlocker size bag.

Pat

"Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> chris c wrote:
>> Ok, who makes the lightest seatpost rack (quick release preferred)? Sick
>> of
>> trying to stuff rain gear etc. in a small wedge pack. Thanks

> Why does it have to be a seatpost rack? Are you riding a
> fully-suspended offroad bike?
>
> Your options:
>
> 1) A seatpost rack, plus a rack trunk. I don't know about you, but I
> certainly don't like the feeling of that much bulk sitting on what is
> essentially a leaf spring anchored to my seatpost. Failure mode here
> is likely to be catastrophic, too.

I started out with a Topeak seat post rack when I was riding a bike with no
rack eyelets. It was a well made rack, but I couldn't get it to quit
rotating. I tightened it as tight as possible, used a shim, used a piece of
inner tube---and it still tended to rotate around. A saddlebag would be a
much better option.