Lightest Skewers?

The Trek Madone SSLx runs about $10,000.
eek.gif
I enjoy giving advice to other cyclists as well, being an ex-mechanic and assistant manager of a bike shop. To categorize riders using the cost of their rides, their apparent intelligence or lack thereof of bicycles and/or equipment, is both childish and uncalled for. I have always loved biking because 99.99999% of the riders I have met aren't like this. I have always preached to customers the great community that bicycle riders are and to see and read the posts of those who aren't so friendly is disappointing.

alienator said:
Not just Airbus, but also Boeing: the 777 Dreamliner is made with a high percentage of CF. Couple with the demands of those two companies, the demands of the military industrial complex (Thank god, the US War Machine is keeping defense contractors afloat.:rolleyes: ) and the growing space industry and you end up with high demand for CF.
I've heard the story about aerospace demand, but can't see any evidence that CF is hard to get or too expensive for bikes because of it. In fact, all major manufacturers seem to be rushing to mid-priced CF frames now.

Same for other competitive sports equipment like racing shells (row boats). CF is more expensive than fiberglass construction, but selling well due to weigh savings in the range of 20% over FRP. The major race boat makers have moved to CF construction for their top end race boats, and seem to have plenty of product to sell.

I've been sitting here for 9 months now waiting for samples of carbon fiber components from a well known bike brand so I can start work on an advertising campaign for them.

The shortages and price hikes on CF and Ti are real.

alienator said:
Exactly true. Actually, my set of M2 QR's weighs 37g, and they function as well as any Shimano skewers that I've used and loads better than Bontrager and Mavic skewers, IMHO. They do look damned nice.
What exactly aside from weight makes the M2QR's better than the other skewers you mentioned? I am using Bontrager's and i am very happy with them, so i am curious what aspects make the M2 QR's better.

aacliment said:
What exactly aside from weight makes the M2QR's better than the other skewers you mentioned? I am using Bontrager's and i am very happy with them, so i am curious what aspects make the M2 QR's better.
Mate absolutely nothing at all. They are lighter, that is all. They do not work (really) any differently from shimano, bonty, campy etc. They are a cam style quick release which is incredibly light.

aacliment said:

The cam feels more positive, when the lever closes, than on Bonty's or Mavics. It seems as though the cam has a more progressive profile.

i have a related question regarding skewers. just bought the cycleops fluid2 trainer and it comes with its own skewer. i understand that you need to use that one for training as it is sturdier than regular ones, but i have two questions... #1 is it alright to ride on the roads with the trainer skewer on?, and #2 is it bad to switch out the skewers frequently if you road ride and train? and #3 that i just thought of: if you keep the trainer skewer on your road bike all the time, can you purchase just another skewer so that another person can use the trainer? (my hubby and i).
thanks

sheenabooth said:
i have a related question regarding skewers. just bought the cycleops fluid2 trainer and it comes with its own skewer. i understand that you need to use that one for training as it is sturdier than regular ones, but i have two questions... #1 is it alright to ride on the roads with the trainer skewer on?, and #2 is it bad to switch out the skewers frequently if you road ride and train? and #3 that i just thought of: if you keep the trainer skewer on your road bike all the time, can you purchase just another skewer so that another person can use the trainer? (my hubby and i).
thanks
1. Yes
2. No
3. most likely

My trainer only works with internal cam (shimano/Campy) type skewers. The Skewers on my Ksyrium Elite's don't work in the trainer. I have an old set of 105's that I use in the trainer, but in the warm weather when the trainer collects dust, I'll swap them back out for my Mavic Skewers, or not. My trainer is a cheaper model that tends to do a number on the skewers so I always use an older set, but I'm anal like that..

Most trainers will chew up the skewers. I use the skewer that came with my Kinetic trainer all of the time. It probably ways a few grams more than the one that came with the bike, but it works well. The skewer that comes with the trainer is all metal, while the one that came with the bike has a nylon nut. It is no problem finding metal skewers that will work with the trainer.

lks said:
Anybody know of any lighter skewers, that don't require a wrench, than the U.S.E. Spin Stix Ti skewers? Their web site seems to be down now, but a good description can be found at: wisecyclebuys.com.
The lightest QR skewers I have found are on StealthCycling.com. Only 49 grams. I use them on my Tandem, Single and MTB.

Zona CP said:
The lightest QR skewers I have found are on StealthCycling.com. Only 49 grams. I use them on my Tandem, Single and MTB.
boat anchors.

M2racer are 38g for the pair.

Personally, I look for cost effective.

When I bought a set of Campy Zonda's, the steel skewers were rather heavy. Got on ebay, picked up a set of Rolf TI skewers for $20. They work great, didn't cost much, and are substantially lighter.

Not that even lighter skewers can't be had, but every dollar you spend shaving off a gram on the skewers is a dollar that could probably have been put to better use elsewhere on the bike, or on yourself.

bobbyOCR said:
boat anchors.

M2racer are 38g for the pair.

Unfortunately if (when) they break you won't get much compensation:
June 30, 2006

In the past few weeks, M2RACER’s supply of high modulus prepreg carbon fiber has been shut off due to the heavy worldwide military and aerospace use. Carbon fiber is used in nearly 50% of the M2RACER product lineup. In addition, the price of titanium and exotic aluminum alloys that we use has nearly tripled in the past 18 months. Due to the unavailability of carbon fiber and excessive material cost increases, M2RACER can no longer be able to provide our valued customers with lightweight, high performance, and well priced cycling components.

M2RACER has closed its doors permanently as of June 30, 2006

M2RACER truly appreciates the enthusiastic support we have received from our distributors, dealers, and customers.

Thank you all for your patronage and the privilege of having worked with you.

caferacerwanabe said:
Unfortunately if (when) they break you won't get much compensation:
June 30, 2006

In the past few weeks, M2RACER’s supply of high modulus prepreg carbon fiber has been shut off due to the heavy worldwide military and aerospace use. Carbon fiber is used in nearly 50% of the M2RACER product lineup. In addition, the price of titanium and exotic aluminum alloys that we use has nearly tripled in the past 18 months. Due to the unavailability of carbon fiber and excessive material cost increases, M2RACER can no longer be able to provide our valued customers with lightweight, high performance, and well priced cycling components.

M2RACER has closed its doors permanently as of June 30, 2006

M2RACER truly appreciates the enthusiastic support we have received from our distributors, dealers, and customers.

Thank you all for your patronage and the privilege of having worked with you.

Well, see, that's what you learn when you do a cut and paste: nothing. It so happens that M2Racer is honoring their warranties.

Please actually try to understand something before you blindly cut and paste it.

alienator said:
Well, see, that's what you learn when you do a cut and paste: nothing. It so happens that M2Racer is honoring their warranties.

Please actually try to understand something before you blindly cut and paste it.
beat me to it

The people who ran M2racer are very helpful. Also, just because its light doesn' mean it will break quickly.

caferacerwanabe said:
Great you will get another skewer with a weight restriction of 91kg , scary really.

Oh, please: enlighten us. Bless us with what you have learned over lo these many years on the bicycle. Show us exactly what it is that you don't know.

caferacerwanabe said:
Great you will get another skewer with a weight restriction of 91kg , scary really.
If you are 91kg, the last thing you should be worrying about is shaving grams. At that weight, shaving grams is meaningless. A 50kg waif maybe, but at 90kg you want strength. Besides, the axle supports the wheel, not the QR. The QR will be under a uniform level of stress for anyone, 40kg to 100kg, unless the axles starts to bend onto the QR, then you have a whole new set of problems.