Lightest track crankset?

joefriday

May 27, 2003
i'm looking for a very lightweight track specific crankarm set.
Anyone know of some weights? Many thanks!!

I've got a set of Magic motorcycle cranks, they are pretty rare Track specific with a good selection of 1/8 rings for them. They are 605 grams for the cranks/BB/ring, about 130 gms lighter than Record.

My favourite is the current Shimano Dura Ace. The Shimano crankset and BB combo is stiffer AND approx 15% lighter than Campagnolo Record. No contest!
There are also a wider choice of crank lengths available, 165mm - 175mm.

Originally posted by corima
I've got a set of Magic motorcycle cranks, they are pretty rare Track specific with a good selection of 1/8 rings for them. They are 605 grams for the cranks/BB/ring, about 130 gms lighter than Record.

Wow! That's a bad-a$$ crankset. Very rare indeed. My folks have of the original MM's (not the Cannondale version) on their tandem. Have you worn out many BB bearings?

Does anyone know if Shimano will make a track crank similar to their new 10sp DA crank?

Leif

i was about to ask that same question leifclarke. i would be interested in a set of these ultra stiff and light cranks if they r going to bring a set out.

Originally posted by leifclarke
Wow! That's a bad-a$$ crankset. Very rare indeed. My folks have of the original MM's (not the Cannondale version) on their tandem. Have you worn out many BB bearings?

Does anyone know if Shimano will make a track crank similar to their new 10sp DA crank?

Shimano has no plans to introduce the Octalink II through axle two piece crank to the track group. The '05 specs still list 3 piece cranks. NJS rules and all of that...

I have a set on ebay right now. Just search in road bike parts for Magic Motorcycle. They are brand new.

I thought I had one of the only sets. Good to see they are still being talked about.

It's tough letting them go but I just don't see myself using them ....ever!!! So they need to go to raise money for other projects.