Lightest V-Rex, who/how?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Kelly, May 9, 2003.

  1. Kelly

    Kelly Guest

    Who has the lightest V-Rex, what does it weight and what modifications did you use to accomplish?

    Kelly

    Tags:

  2. Greg Dunn

    Greg Dunn Guest

    I'm shooting for the heaviest V-Rex: balloon tires with slime and tuffy liners, an underseat rack
    with Arkel panniers, a rear rack with another rack pack, fenders, a lead-acid battery-powered
    lighting system, bell/compass, and a can of Halt!. Having hung all that stuff off the bike I still
    wasn't satisfied, so I also gained 20 pounds.

    I know where my personal efforts to lighten my V-Rex would most logically begin: in the vicinity of
    my refrigerator. :cool:

    --
    Greg Dunn

    "Kelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Who has the lightest V-Rex, what does it weight and what modifications did you use to accomplish?
    >
    > Kelly

  3. nodiak

    nodiak New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    [

    > Who has the lightest V-Rex, what does it weight and what modifications did you use to accomplish?
    >
    > Kelly [/B][/QUOTE] I don't have the lightest I'm sure but my 3+ lb. wooden (Zephyr) seat weighs about 3 lbs. less than that ohmygawd heavy stock seat, and a 1.5 carbon would trim about 4.5 lbs.! That's where to get the biggest weight reduction of the bike, whether it's the most effective is soon to be argued... Don

  4. > >
    > > Kelly I don't have the lightest I'm sure but my 3+ lb. wooden (Zephyr) seat weighs about 3 lbs.
    > > less than that ohmygawd heavy stock seat

    Don: Tell us about the Zephyr seat ! Comfy ? Stiff enough ? Shipping ?

    Data dump please; It's on my short list for my next project !

    Duncan Cooper Cleveland

  5. Skip

    Skip Guest

    "Kelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Who has the lightest V-Rex, what does it weight and what modifications did you use to accomplish?

    I had one of the early VRex's and the first thing I did was get rid of the heavy stock wheels. I had
    a wheel building friend build me a set of light weight Velocity rims with Hi-E Hubs, spokes, axles
    (no steel quick releases), and light, skinny tires and tubes. Next I caught a LBS going out of
    business sale and picked up a Ti bottom bracket, speedplay pedals, and four of the discontinued
    Regina America lightweight hollow pin chains. The stock VRex bottom bracket was a seriously heavy
    lowest end Shimano unit. With these new pieces installed just about all the rotating mass of the
    bike was now much lighter and smoother. It made a world of difference in the ride and feel. Next
    there was custom made alloy handlebar to replace the co-mo job. Then there were a bunch of little
    things such as replacing the heavy steel quick release on the seat with one of the lightweight bolts
    and wing nuts from Hi-E. A light weight seat would have been the next logical step, but that would
    have involved some comfort trade offs. The original RANS fiberglass bucket seat would probably have
    been the lowest cost option.

    These changes improved climbing and sprinting gave the bike a much more sporting feeling vs. the
    stock Vrex set up for commuting or touring. I sold the bike and to help pay for a GRR and I've
    since had regrets about letting it go. Several times I've thought about hunting it down and trying
    to buy it back.

    For whatever reason I never got an accurate weight for this bike before I let it go.

    skip

  6. nodiak

    nodiak New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    Hi Duncan, I like the seat quite a bit, tried to post 2 mini reviews but didn't work , my computer lagging or...? email me and I'll respond in detail. Don [email protected]

  7. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    Greg:

    Something's wrong with your message. None of my newsreaders will load
    it.

    --Scott --Scott [email protected]

  8. "Freewheeling" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
    news:[email protected]...
    > Greg:
    >
    > Something's wrong with your message. None of my newsreaders will load
    > it.

    Here it is:

    " I'm shooting for the heaviest V-Rex: balloon tires with slime and tuffy liners, an underseat rack
    with Arkel panniers, a rear rack with another rack pack, fenders, a lead-acid battery-powered
    lighting system, bell/compass, and a can of Halt!. Having hung all that stuff off the bike I still
    wasn't satisfied, so I also gained 20 pounds.

    I know where my personal efforts to lighten my V-Rex would most logically begin: in the vicinity of
    my refrigerator. :cool:

    --
    Greg Dunn "

    Works okay with IE6

    M.

  9. "Freewheeling" skrev

    > I can't read your message either. And both you and Greg have a funny icon next to your entry, so
    > my guess is that you have some sort of attachment? The U. of Berlin newserver is text only, so
    > perhaps that's the problem.

    Odd. Maybe you have a funky newsreader? Attachments are not allowed in textgroups.

    Anyway i use IE6. I send messages as text in MIME-format without any encoding and allow 8 bit chars
    in the header. Should be pretty harmless. Anyone have ideas?

    M.

  10. Greg Dunn

    Greg Dunn Guest

    Beats me, Scott - no attachment, plain text formatted.

    --
    Greg Dunn

    "Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Mikael:
    >
    > I can't read your message either. And both you and Greg have a funny icon next to your entry, so
    > my guess is that you have some sort of attachment? The U. of Berlin newserver is text only, so
    > perhaps that's the problem.
    >
    > I checked with your Polish friend about carbon seats, BTW. Haven't heard back from him yet.
    >
    > --Scott

  11. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    Greg:

    I eventually got Mikael's post to load, but have never been able to load yours. I've tried both
    Outlook Express 6 and Agent (the purchased version). Strange.

    --Scott