Lightest V-Rex, who/how?

Kelly

Guest
Who has the lightest V-Rex, what does it weight and what modifications did you use to accomplish?

Kelly

I'm shooting for the heaviest V-Rex: balloon tires with slime and tuffy liners, an underseat rack
with Arkel panniers, a rear rack with another rack pack, fenders, a lead-acid battery-powered
lighting system, bell/compass, and a can of Halt!. Having hung all that stuff off the bike I still
wasn't satisfied, so I also gained 20 pounds.

I know where my personal efforts to lighten my V-Rex would most logically begin: in the vicinity of
my refrigerator. :cool:

--
Greg Dunn

news:[email protected]...

[

> Who has the lightest V-Rex, what does it weight and what modifications did you use to accomplish?
>
> Kelly [/B][/QUOTE] I don't have the lightest I'm sure but my 3+ lb. wooden (Zephyr) seat weighs about 3 lbs. less than that ohmygawd heavy stock seat, and a 1.5 carbon would trim about 4.5 lbs.! That's where to get the biggest weight reduction of the bike, whether it's the most effective is soon to be argued... Don

> > Kelly I don't have the lightest I'm sure but my 3+ lb. wooden (Zephyr) seat weighs about 3 lbs.
> > less than that ohmygawd heavy stock seat

Don: Tell us about the Zephyr seat ! Comfy ? Stiff enough ? Shipping ?

Data dump please; It's on my short list for my next project !

Duncan Cooper Cleveland

"Kelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Who has the lightest V-Rex, what does it weight and what modifications did you use to accomplish?

I had one of the early VRex's and the first thing I did was get rid of the heavy stock wheels. I had
a wheel building friend build me a set of light weight Velocity rims with Hi-E Hubs, spokes, axles
(no steel quick releases), and light, skinny tires and tubes. Next I caught a LBS going out of
business sale and picked up a Ti bottom bracket, speedplay pedals, and four of the discontinued
Regina America lightweight hollow pin chains. The stock VRex bottom bracket was a seriously heavy
lowest end Shimano unit. With these new pieces installed just about all the rotating mass of the
bike was now much lighter and smoother. It made a world of difference in the ride and feel. Next
there was custom made alloy handlebar to replace the co-mo job. Then there were a bunch of little
things such as replacing the heavy steel quick release on the seat with one of the lightweight bolts
and wing nuts from Hi-E. A light weight seat would have been the next logical step, but that would
have involved some comfort trade offs. The original RANS fiberglass bucket seat would probably have
been the lowest cost option.

These changes improved climbing and sprinting gave the bike a much more sporting feeling vs. the
stock Vrex set up for commuting or touring. I sold the bike and to help pay for a GRR and I've
since had regrets about letting it go. Several times I've thought about hunting it down and trying
to buy it back.

For whatever reason I never got an accurate weight for this bike before I let it go.

skip

Hi Duncan, I like the seat quite a bit, tried to post 2 mini reviews but didn't work , my computer lagging or...? email me and I'll respond in detail. Don [email protected]

"Freewheeling" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
news:[email protected]...
> Greg:
>
> Something's wrong with your message. None of my newsreaders will load
> it.

Here it is:

" I'm shooting for the heaviest V-Rex: balloon tires with slime and tuffy liners, an underseat rack
with Arkel panniers, a rear rack with another rack pack, fenders, a lead-acid battery-powered
lighting system, bell/compass, and a can of Halt!. Having hung all that stuff off the bike I still
wasn't satisfied, so I also gained 20 pounds.

I know where my personal efforts to lighten my V-Rex would most logically begin: in the vicinity of
my refrigerator. :cool:

--
Greg Dunn "

Works okay with IE6

M.

"Freewheeling" skrev

> I can't read your message either. And both you and Greg have a funny icon next to your entry, so
> my guess is that you have some sort of attachment? The U. of Berlin newserver is text only, so
> perhaps that's the problem.

Odd. Maybe you have a funky newsreader? Attachments are not allowed in textgroups.

Anyway i use IE6. I send messages as text in MIME-format without any encoding and allow 8 bit chars
in the header. Should be pretty harmless. Anyone have ideas?

M.

Beats me, Scott - no attachment, plain text formatted.

--
Greg Dunn

"Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mikael:
>
> I can't read your message either. And both you and Greg have a funny icon next to your entry, so
> my guess is that you have some sort of attachment? The U. of Berlin newserver is text only, so
> perhaps that's the problem.
>
> I checked with your Polish friend about carbon seats, BTW. Haven't heard back from him yet.
>
> --Scott

Greg:

I eventually got Mikael's post to load, but have never been able to load yours. I've tried both
Outlook Express 6 and Agent (the purchased version). Strange.

--Scott