Lightheaded, and dizzy??

tonphil1960

Jul 30, 2004
Hi, I just got back into riding after a very long break, like 25 years,(I was into it in my teens though). I noticed a few weeks ago after I finished my ride, got to my car and stood up I was feeling lightheaded and getting almost like a head rush. Last weekend my wife and I took a little ride, about midride we took a break and she experienced the same thing, I was sitting on a bench and she stood up and just about passed out and hit the ground, she says she was dizzy and lightheaded upon stopping. What could be causing this, I know I have not been getting enough exersize since I stopped doing manual work. My wife had been going to the gym and working out but stopped a few months ago due to other health problems. She is 41 and I am 43 years old. Is there anything we can do preride to prevent this. Any solutions?

HELP

Thanks much Tony

tonphil1960 said:
Hi, I just got back into riding after a very long break, like 25 years,(I was into it in my teens though). I noticed a few weeks ago after I finished my ride, got to my car and stood up I was feeling lightheaded and getting almost like a head rush. Last weekend my wife and I took a little ride, about midride we took a break and she experienced the same thing, I was sitting on a bench and she stood up and just about passed out and hit the ground, she says she was dizzy and lightheaded upon stopping. What could be causing this, I know I have not been getting enough exersize since I stopped doing manual work. My wife had been going to the gym and working out but stopped a few months ago due to other health problems. She is 41 and I am 43 years old. Is there anything we can do preride to prevent this. Any solutions?

HELP

Thanks much Tony

You should go to your doctor for a complete physical, riding a bike is exercise, and they always say clear it with your dr before undertaking any exercise program.

If everything checks out and this still happens, you may not be getting enough carbs before your ride. Be sure to eat some carbs before a ride (simple carbs about an hour before, complex a few hours before, depending on which you prefer.) Complex carbs are healthier, but they take longer to enter your bloodstream. It sounds like what happened may have been bonking, where you use up your body's store of glycogen (made from carbs), your body can only hold about an hour's worth in the liver and muscles. You may not have been riding hard enough to bonk out, though, so either way, get a complete physical to rule out any serious conditions! I'm in my mid 40s and at our age we need to be careful.

One more thing: be sure to drink plenty of water before, durng and after a ride, esp. in hot weather. That can also cause dizziness and fatigue.

Good luck!

Try weighing yourself before and after you ride.

If you lose more than a pound or two, you need to drink a lot more while you ride...

Thanks guys, It's mostly my wife that has the problem. I am in great health, just haven't gotten enough exersise in the last few years. That's what I thought, carbs. before the ride and plenty of water. I just got back from doing 15 miles tonight and I went through 2 16 oz bottles, I would think that's enough for the ride I did?

thanks Tony

tonphil1960 said:
Thanks guys, It's mostly my wife that has the problem. I am in great health, just haven't gotten enough exersise in the last few years. That's what I thought, carbs. before the ride and plenty of water. I just got back from doing 15 miles tonight and I went through 2 16 oz bottles, I would think that's enough for the ride I did?

thanks Tony

it's possible that you/your wife is hypotensive or that you're both lacking in energy. sudden changes in position from say sitting to standing can cause issues with blood pressure resulting in your passing out. however, given your ages (i know you're not that old) and the fact you said you've had health issues you should see your doctor(s) immediately to check you're okay

ric