Lighting burnout

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Peter Signorini, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. After my recent ride my light set has stopped operating. It's a nice Busch &
    Muller S6 dynamo with their Lumotec headlight, and is very efficient and low
    friction.

    After renewing a slightly dodgy lead and checking the bulb it still didn't
    run. After putting a simple current tester onto it I seem to have no output
    from the dynamo. So now I guess I have to find out about any warranty from
    the LBS.

    I used it on the descent of Mt Donna Buang - surely 16 kms at 45-55 kmh is
    OK with the dynamo on? It was cloudy and poor visibilty near the summit, but
    maybe I should have flicked the dynamo off part way down. The dynamo bottle
    is fastened with grub srews so could be pulled apart.

    Does anybody here have experience with repairing these units? Could the
    dynamo have been burned out by a high speed run?

    For the cost of these units I don't want to have to replace it, so any
    advice on the problem or repairs will be greatly appreciated. TIA

    Cheers
    Peter

    Tags:

  2. Ray Peace

    Ray Peace Guest

    Good Morning Mr Sig,
    You appear to have overlooked the
    elementary. Pay a visit to your nearest Dick Smith or whatever and buy a
    pair of six volt zena diodes. Get a soldering iron and wire these into
    your lighting system to restrict the dynamo output. The answer is you
    probably have burned out something on the dynamo, probably not the main
    coils as they are pretty tough, but if you ran the unit at 55 k/mh for
    16 km, it was producing 8-9 volts all the way, and wouldn't like it. My
    ancient Sanyo Dynapower is still running, but then I don't ride down
    Donna Buang at night!
    Regards,
    Ray.

    Peter Signorini wrote:

    >After my recent ride my light set has stopped operating. It's a nice Busch &
    >Muller S6 dynamo with their Lumotec headlight, and is very efficient and low
    >friction.
    >
    >After renewing a slightly dodgy lead and checking the bulb it still didn't
    >run. After putting a simple current tester onto it I seem to have no output
    >from the dynamo. So now I guess I have to find out about any warranty from
    >the LBS.
    >
    >I used it on the descent of Mt Donna Buang - surely 16 kms at 45-55 kmh is
    >OK with the dynamo on? It was cloudy and poor visibilty near the summit, but
    >maybe I should have flicked the dynamo off part way down. The dynamo bottle
    >is fastened with grub srews so could be pulled apart.
    >
    >Does anybody here have experience with repairing these units? Could the
    >dynamo have been burned out by a high speed run?
    >
    >For the cost of these units I don't want to have to replace it, so any
    >advice on the problem or repairs will be greatly appreciated. TIA
    >
    >Cheers
    >Peter

  3. "Ray Peace" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Good Morning Mr Sig,
    > You appear to have overlooked the
    > elementary. Pay a visit to your nearest Dick Smith or whatever and buy a
    > pair of six volt zena diodes. Get a soldering iron and wire these into
    > your lighting system to restrict the dynamo output. The answer is you
    > probably have burned out something on the dynamo, probably not the main
    > coils as they are pretty tough, but if you ran the unit at 55 k/mh for
    > 16 km, it was producing 8-9 volts all the way, and wouldn't like it. My
    > ancient Sanyo Dynapower is still running, but then I don't ride down
    > Donna Buang at night!
    > Regards,
    > Ray.

    Are you going to tell us how to connect them up?

    Marty

    > Peter Signorini wrote:
    >
    > >After my recent ride my light set has stopped operating. It's a nice

    Busch &
    > >Muller S6 dynamo with their Lumotec headlight, and is very efficient and

    low
    > >friction.
    > >
    > >After renewing a slightly dodgy lead and checking the bulb it still

    didn't
    > >run. After putting a simple current tester onto it I seem to have no

    output
    > >from the dynamo. So now I guess I have to find out about any warranty

    from
    > >the LBS.
    > >
    > >I used it on the descent of Mt Donna Buang - surely 16 kms at 45-55 kmh

    is
    > >OK with the dynamo on? It was cloudy and poor visibilty near the summit,

    but
    > >maybe I should have flicked the dynamo off part way down. The dynamo

    bottle
    > >is fastened with grub srews so could be pulled apart.
    > >
    > >Does anybody here have experience with repairing these units? Could the
    > >dynamo have been burned out by a high speed run?
    > >
    > >For the cost of these units I don't want to have to replace it, so any
    > >advice on the problem or repairs will be greatly appreciated. TIA
    > >
    > >Cheers
    > >Peter

  4. "Ray Peace" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Good Morning Mr Sig,
    > You appear to have overlooked the
    > elementary. Pay a visit to your nearest Dick Smith or whatever and buy a
    > pair of six volt zena diodes.

    Ray, the B&M Lumotec light already has this. The light works OK using a
    battery to check it. Hence the dynamo is not putting out any charge and
    that's what bothers me.

    > Get a soldering iron and wire these into
    > your lighting system to restrict the dynamo output. The answer is you
    > probably have burned out something on the dynamo, probably not the main
    > coils as they are pretty tough, but if you ran the unit at 55 k/mh for
    > 16 km, it was producing 8-9 volts all the way, and wouldn't like it.

    Have spoken to the shop and they think speed shouldn't harm the dynamo, but
    it is under warranty (3 yrs - pretty good) so I'llget them to look it over.

    > My ancient Sanyo Dynapower is still running, but then I don't ride down
    > Donna Buang at night!

    It was daylight, actually a repeat of the infamous Donna Buang Snow Ride.
    You remember the 1980 experience. We had snow but generally all rideable.
    The descent was cold and gloomy with misty clouds at first, so we put the
    lights on to warn cars. Lower down we had rain but with good wet gear I kept
    dry and warm. Dave and Mike Kater were with us, both previous snow riders.
    Give us a bell sometime about doing some rides.

    Cheers
    Peter