Lightning P38 seat and back pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim C

I ride a large frame P38. After about 20-25 miles I develop low back pain. I tried folding a small
cloth and putting it at that point and it seems to resolve the problem.

What I am wondering is if the seat size makes a difference as to where the curve hits you in your
low back. I am 5'9" tall and the seat frame is large. I was told they make the seat in four sizes
corresponding to the four frame sizes.

Are there other seat options that I might use that will work on this bike?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

--
Jim C

I'm not a Lightning expert, but it seems a large *might* be mis-sized for you. Regardless of
sizing, you can do a lot to change the back's curve by altering the webbing's tension at different
spots. Try getting it tight across the spot where your back is getting sore, and possibly looser
above that.

--

John Foltz --- O _ Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24/63 --- _\\/\-%)
_________(_)`=()___________________(_)= (_)_____

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> I ride a large frame P38. After about 20-25 miles I develop low back pain. I tried folding a small
> cloth and putting it at that point and it seems to resolve the problem.
>
> What I am wondering is if the seat size makes a difference as to where the curve hits you in your
> low back. I am 5'9" tall and the seat frame is large. I was told they make the seat in four sizes
> corresponding to the four frame sizes.
>
> Are there other seat options that I might use that will work on this bike?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I believe the seat size differences only affect the height of the back. Here are some thoughts:

Seat mesh tension is too loose. Tighten the laces as tight as possible and keep them that way. Some
cable ties in Strategic places can help.

The seat pad is dead. IMO all LCD pads are DOA. I use a thermarest Stadium seat in the seat pad
pocket and have improved my comfort greatly over the initial experience.

Boom is too close/far away. Adjust the seat to pedal distances in 1/4" increments and see if this
makes a difference. You could be slouching into the pedals. I have 5600 comfortable miles on my
P-38. I just clicked over 6000 miles on the bike last week.

--
Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

Status
Not open for further replies.