Lightning Phantom v. Vision Saber 64

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Johlde, May 4, 2003.

  1. Johlde

    Johlde Guest

    I'm trying to decide which of these two bikes to purchase. I've test ridden both and like both. Any
    suggestions? I'm mainly looking for a fast bike (speed!) that I can also put a rack on and do light
    touring. Fairings aside, is one bike faster than the other? I could not notice any difference on
    test rides. Does the 20" front wheel on the Phantom (L/XL frame is my fit) have much of an impact on
    performance
    v. the 26" front wheel on the Saber 64?

    Thanks.

    Jason

    Tags:

  2. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (johlde) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm trying to decide which of these two bikes to purchase. I've test ridden both and like both.
    > Any suggestions? I'm mainly looking for a fast bike (speed!) that I can also put a rack on and do
    > light touring. Fairings aside, is one bike faster than the other? I could not notice any
    > difference on test rides. Does the 20" front wheel on the Phantom (L/XL frame is my fit) have much
    > of an impact on performance
    > v. the 26" front wheel on the Saber 64?

    I've been a Lightning partisan for many years- I think you should get the Vision. As long as you're
    willing to put up with the 650C wheels, it's a superior bike.

    Jeff

  3. John W

    John W Guest

    I would go with the Vision. I have a Stealth, it's not super fast, just average. Besides Lightning's
    customer service stinks. You might also want to check out the Bacchetta Strada.

    John

    "Jeff Wills" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (johlde) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I'm trying to decide which of these two bikes to purchase. I've test ridden both and like both.
    > > Any suggestions? I'm mainly looking for a fast bike (speed!) that I can also put a rack on and
    > > do light touring. Fairings aside, is one bike faster than the other? I could not notice any
    > > difference on test rides. Does the 20" front wheel on the Phantom (L/XL frame is my fit) have
    > > much of an impact on performance
    > > v. the 26" front wheel on the Saber 64?
    > >

    > I've been a Lightning partisan for many years- I think you should get the Vision. As long as
    > you're willing to put up with the 650C wheels, it's a superior bike.
    >
    > Jeff

  4. bentcruiser

    bentcruiser New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    Check this out for a comparison:

    http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/specs.cgi?Bike1=985286545&Bike2=985901562

    Derek

  5. Bill Anton

    Bill Anton Guest

    I have no doubt the Sabre R-64 is the faster bike, and you should be able to put a rack on it, but
    keep in mind that Vision intends this one to be the "club racer" of the Vision stable--lightweight,
    very aero, but not ideal for being loaded down with lots of racks and packs. IMO the R-64 is the
    perfect 'bent for a 30-50 mile Saturday morning club ride. I may buy an R-64 (or even an R-65) one
    of these days (like the day I get $2000 back from the IRS... wouldn't that be nice!) but I'd still
    keep my heavy-duty R-40 for loaded touring.

    Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40 SWB OSS Lubbock, TX

  6. On 5 May 2003 21:44:16 -0700, [email protected] (Bill Anton) wrote:

    >I have no doubt the Sabre R-64 is the faster bike, and you should be able to put a rack on it, but
    >keep in mind that Vision intends this one to be the "club racer" of the Vision stable--lightweight,
    >very aero, but not ideal for being loaded down with lots of racks and packs.

    It hauls a trailer just fine, though, and I frequently hang my full backpack off the seat in
    addition to their poorly designed seat bag.

    -- Robert, older 24" Saber