Lights to see in the Dark

Perseus

Aug 25, 2003
I am looking for a light to see where I am going on unlit country roads on a moonless overcast night in the rain as well.

What I do I go for with the latest LED, rechargeable batteries etc.?

My budget is really under £50. I do not fancy the lead acid batteries, preferring metal hydrides*, which are not ideal.

*I already have a fast charger for AA batteries for my digital camera.

Thanks for the reply. I still do not know if it is good enough for unlit bumpy roads and paths to see where I am going on a moonless night? Any reports please?

The price is right, but I do not know about the performance?

Perseus said:
.. I still do not know if it is good enough for unlit bumpy roads and paths to see where I am going on a moonless night?

The best you can have is a headlamp as well as a bicycle-mounted lamp. That'll allow you to see both where your bike is currently aimed and where you want to go. Don't bother with a diode one here, get a serious piece of kit like the ones from http://www.silva.se with a large reflector and a handful of watts in output power.

Here is the way I look at it. How much is your life worth to you. Thats really the decision you are making. If you are not seen or don't see something than the results are to be expected and most probably not to your liking. Get the biggest brightest lite you can find and afford because your life may depend on it. Stay off the road until you can. If the worst does happen and you find yourself in a law suit wouldn't you want to be able to say I have this really bright lite there was no reason for that driver not to see me. You should also get a reflective vest, reflective tape to apply to you helmet and bike. Any other lites or reflectors you can find. The object is to be seen easily spare no expence when personal safety is involved your life depends on it.

I just want to see where I am going. In the UK, there is not enough iinformation about the lights. Most are naff and will not see holes ahead.

Perseus said:
I just want to see where I am going.
If you during any part of the ride share space with cars it is at least equally important that they see you. Get reflectors as well, they are often easier to spot from a car than a light. The light is primarily seen when aimed towards the vehicle, whereas a reflector will always reflect light back towards the source. And they work without batteries too.