Lightweight camera w/remote?

KD5NRH

Jul 11, 2010
Looking for something small, light, with remote shutter release capability for a handlebar mount.

Of course, I have a remote for my DSLR, but strapping several hundred $ worth of heavy camera and lens to the bars just sounds like a bad plan. With point & shoots so small and light, there should be something available used for cheap that will take a remote cable. Preferably 5MP or better, and mounting suggestions that will handle occasional jolts of MTB riding on dirt/gravel roads would help too.

KD5NRH said:
Looking for something small, light, with remote shutter release capability for a handlebar mount.

Of course, I have a remote for my DSLR, but strapping several hundred $ worth of heavy camera and lens to the bars just sounds like a bad plan. With point & shoots so small and light, there should be something available used for cheap that will take a remote cable. Preferably 5MP or better, and mounting suggestions that will handle occasional jolts of MTB riding on dirt/gravel roads would help too.
I agree with you concerning taking a DSLR on the bike. I doubt that you will find a P&S that will accept a remote cable. I don't think that anyone makes cameras that take remote cables anymore. Most use wireless infrared transmitters and a receiver on the camera for thier remote operation. No lower end P&S cameras have this option that I know of. You might find something if you look on the Canon or Nikon websites, or contact your local camera shop. You might also try a Photography forum.

kdelong said:
Most use wireless infrared transmitters and a receiver on the camera for thier remote operation.

I've looked at a few of those, but the receiver is always on the front. Pretty much defeats the purpose.

Some of the Canons that can use CHDK can use the hack to accept a remote triggering signal through the data port, but the ones I've found have all been the larger sizes like the PowerShot S2. I'm still watching the pawn shops for any of the smaller ones that can be done that way so I can mount the camera Wherever I want and have a shutter button right where my thumb can get to it without leaving the grips.

You're up against it to find something small with remote.
Handlebar mounts are reasonably common and just screw into the cameras tripod mount.
But, most of the lower end compacts aren't terribly robust and will be pretty unhappy sitting on a handlebar with all the jarring, etc. Unfortunately that also applies to a lot of the higher end compacts as well.
Also sweat, sand and dust will kill a camera faster than you think.
It may be worth consider a tough camera, waterproof, drop proof, etc. Either Olympus mju 8010, mju 3000 or similar (early models than the current generation use xd as the memory cards which are painful, they are now sd) or the Panasonic FT1 or FT2.
Also most of the newer generation compacts will shoot HD video.
Sony and Samsung do offer some cameras with touch screen technology, so you could trigger the shot with that method.

The big but is, that irrespective of what you settle on, if you run it on continuously as you ride the battery life will compromise you significantly. Those bright back screens just chew the juice.

My two cents worth would be go the waterproof/tough route. If you don't then choose a camera with a folded path lightway, that way there is no telescopic lens out the front of the camera body, so more likely less sensitive to damage through vibration, but also less likely to be wiped off, or jammed in the case of misadventure.

I've looked at a few of those, but the receiver is always on the front. Pretty much defeats the purpose. but i found the best that is CANNON. i love it!

taniwha said:
Handlebar mounts are reasonably common and just screw into the cameras tripod mount.

I was thinking of trying to fabricate something to go on the fork tube, right about where some of the cruisers put the front reflector. Even in a header, a small camera would still be in the angle between the front wheel and the bars, so shouldn't hit the ground. The tripod mount socket being tough enought to handle the jolt would be a whole different issue, though.

The big but is, that irrespective of what you settle on, if you run it on continuously as you ride the battery life will compromise you significantly. Those bright back screens just chew the juice.

Since it likely won't be where I can see the display, that would be turned off anyway. I would probably also want to rig up an external power pack.

For video, I'm thinking about just getting a few of the small 640x480 "spy cameras" that turn up on eBay for $10. A lot of RC car and airplane folks are using them, and I've seen a couple rebuilt as helmet cams, which is probably what I'll end up doing. I've got one already, and its video quality is actually as good as some of the point-and-shoots out there. Since they're small, light and relatively durable, mounting should be pretty easy.

KD5NRH said:
Looking for something small, light, with remote shutter release capability for a handlebar mount...(snip)

I'm using a Kodak Zx3 Playsport: 1080p video, 3 MP stills, digital zoom. One battery and 8 GB SDHC chip yields about 1Hr, 20 min of HD video. It's submersibly waterproof to 10 feet, and there's and IR remote available.

I mount it about where your chain-stay would be, facing rearward. The image stabilization isn't perfect, but it records license plates of overtaking cars, and I've also captured some really nice candid stills of my riding companions.

Tackdriver56 said:
I'm using a Kodak Zx3 Playsport: 1080p video, 3 MP stills, digital zoom. One battery and 8 GB SDHC chip yields about 1Hr, 20 min of HD video. It's submersibly waterproof to 10 feet, and there's and IR remote available.

I mount it about where your chain-stay would be, facing rearward. The image stabilization isn't perfect, but it records license plates of overtaking cars, and I've also captured some really nice candid stills of my riding companions.

You take pictures of license plates?

alienator said:
You take pictures of license plates?
Video, actually. People like to throw things from cars, and one cyclist died here about two years ago, with a broken pelvis, fractured skull, and three broken ribs. The resident trooper wrote it up as "fell off bike". Most everyone else thinks it was a hit-and-run.

I'm recording video.

Just rode a 50 mile ride today on my new road bike. This is only my second 50 mile ride. I started riding in early July on a Specialized Crosstrail. I put 650 miles on it and decided I wanted a road bike. This 50 mile ride was much easier on my new Motobecane Le Champion compared to the Crosstrail. It is literally half the weight.
Next season I will start out much earlier and work up to a 75 mile or perhaps give the 100 a try. Guess I'm not really asking any questions, just excited and wanted to tell somebody.

Congratulations! It's great to hear you are enjoying your new road bike. I ride my road bike and my mtb on the road daily and the difference in weight is indeed noticable but both are a joy to ride!

Congratulations on your accomplishment and new bike! If you progressed that far since July, I bet you can train and do a full century next year. With a reasonable training program, it should be possible. I did it 15 years ago and I was already old then! You sound very motivated.

Thanks guys for the encouragement. I actually started biking to loose weight. I am 5'5" and was 174lbs. I had never weighed that much before and figured it was time to do something about it. I am now down to 150 lbs. At 40 years old I feel as good as I did at 18 and in the Army. Getting fit was my original intention but now I just flat out love biking.

Congrats on the Half. I finished my First full century ride the last September. Lot of hills, but I am so grateful for the training I did. Now silly me has the notion of doing a double next year. More training.. I think I am addicted..

Cheers

Congrats on your century. Are you talking 200 miles? Have off this week and a co-worker and I planned to do a metric century. Beautiful day to ride. I did well and the finish was all hills. I am pretty sure I will try for the full century next year.

When I was training for my first marathon a seasoned runner told me 'if you can run 6 miles with steady breathing you can run 26.2, all this training is just going to make it more comfortable to walk the day after.'

I'm not sure that's true, but I am sure if you can do a metric then you can do a full. Congratulations on your new addiction and on the weight loss, I know what that took and it is a feat worth mentioning.