lightweight hybrids?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by louise, May 11, 2006.

  1. louise

    louise Guest

    Does anyone know how the weight of a Raleigh C700 would
    compare with that of a Specialized Sirrus? I'm looking for
    a hybrid that I can carry comfortably up subway stairs. I'm
    also hoping for a fairly upright posture. Any thoughts on
    how those compare or other recommendations?

    TIA
    Louise

    Tags:

  2. Mike Reed

    Mike Reed Guest

    louise wrote:
    > Does anyone know how the weight of a Raleigh C700 would
    > compare with that of a Specialized Sirrus? I'm looking for
    > a hybrid that I can carry comfortably up subway stairs. I'm
    > also hoping for a fairly upright posture. Any thoughts on
    > how those compare or other recommendations?
    >
    > TIA
    > Louise

    I'm not familiar with those bikes, but they look like they are likely
    to be similar in weight. Probably within 1/2 a pound of each other.

    You might look into a city/mtb single speed. Low cost and light weight
    in one easy-to-lug package. You'll never drop your chain because you
    accidentally spun your cranks bakwards while the bike was on your
    shoulder crooked. There's a lot less to go wrong with an SS.

    Unless you're in a really steep hilly area (San Fran, Salt Lake City,
    etc.), it will ride nicely.

    A bike similar to these is what I'm thinking:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/singlespeed.html

    You might be able to find a cheap one used on your local Craiglist or
    similar outlet.

    Good luck!

    -Mike

  3. landotter

    landotter Guest

    Mike Reed wrote:
    > louise wrote:
    > > Does anyone know how the weight of a Raleigh C700 would
    > > compare with that of a Specialized Sirrus? I'm looking for
    > > a hybrid that I can carry comfortably up subway stairs. I'm
    > > also hoping for a fairly upright posture. Any thoughts on
    > > how those compare or other recommendations?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > Louise

    > I'm not familiar with those bikes, but they look like they are likely
    > to be similar in weight. Probably within 1/2 a pound of each other.
    >
    > You might look into a city/mtb single speed. Low cost and light weight
    > in one easy-to-lug package. You'll never drop your chain because you
    > accidentally spun your cranks bakwards while the bike was on your
    > shoulder crooked. There's a lot less to go wrong with an SS.

    Totally agree. I'm not a zealot, I've currently got a 35# geared city
    bike and a lightweight single, and have owned derailleur bikes and hub
    geared bikes--but if you're in Manhattan, Chicago, or Boston--which are
    flat enough--single speed is the ticket.

    Getting the bar up is possible on any model using stem extensions,
    don't be too worried, just find a cool shop that 's willing to work
    with ya.

    Don't think that it has to be a high strung messenger bike either,
    there are a few neato, but practical singles like the Redline 9*2*5 on
    the market.

    With the right components, you should easily put together a sub
    twenty-pounder that's plenty durable. ;)

  4. louise says...

    > Does anyone know how the weight of a Raleigh C700 would
    > compare with that of a Specialized Sirrus? I'm looking for
    > a hybrid that I can carry comfortably up subway stairs. I'm
    > also hoping for a fairly upright posture. Any thoughts on
    > how those compare or other recommendations?
    >
    > TIA
    > Louise

    It would depend on which model of Sirrus you are talking about. The
    $2400 carbon model would obviously be lighter than the $550 model. The
    price equivalent to the C700 would be the middle of the road Sirrus
    Comp. I doubt that there is a big difference in weight between the two,
    with big meaning 2 or more lbs (1 kg). I would guess either would weigh
    about 23 lbs. If you have access to both bikes, why not arrange to
    weigh them with the respective bike shops? If they don't have weighing
    capabilities, bring a decent bathroom scale with you. Weigh yourself,
    then weigh yourself holding the bike off the ground.

  5. louise wrote:
    > Does anyone know how the weight of a Raleigh C700 would
    > compare with that of a Specialized Sirrus? I'm looking for
    > a hybrid that I can carry comfortably up subway stairs. I'm
    > also hoping for a fairly upright posture. Any thoughts on
    > how those compare or other recommendations?
    >
    > TIA
    > Louise

    A suggestion, try to find a bike shop that starts with a bike fit and
    then a frame and then builds the bike. We can take any frame we sell
    and build it as a flat bar bicycle, with the corresponding weight of
    one with drop bars. Unfortunately, hybrids outta bozes are heavy, heavy
    with silly things like front suspension...

  6. louise wrote:
    > Does anyone know how the weight of a Raleigh C700 would
    > compare with that of a Specialized Sirrus? I'm looking for
    > a hybrid that I can carry comfortably up subway stairs. I'm
    > also hoping for a fairly upright posture. Any thoughts on
    > how those compare or other recommendations?
    >
    > TIA
    > Louise

    Hi Louise,

    They both appear to be "roadish" flat-bar bikes. So each will probably
    be lighter than your average hybrid.

    Since you mention subway steps, I assume that you either live in a city
    or travel to a city often. Have you considered a folding bike? Dahon
    and Xootr both make 20"-wheel bikes that travel on public
    transportation easily and are relatively light. Performance is quite
    good and the added flexibility is considerable. Also Brompton makes
    bikes that fold into tiny packages yet still perform well. But they
    can be expensive.

    For general information on the Dahons

    www.dahon.com
    www.gaerlan.com

    For general information on the Xootr Swift Folder

    www.xootr.com

    Good luck.

    -G