General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Lightweight packing rucksack, and salopettes

Started by Rob G · · Last activity · 5 posts · 1,135 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
28 November 2007
Last activity
3 December 2007
Original author
Rob G
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,135
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Might as well get two for the price of one !

    I rather fancy the OMM Villain for 2 to 3 day treks. Anyone got any
    opinions on these or anything else that is light and will carry 45 L
    or so ?

    Similarly I wondering about the salopettes that Keela sell - any
    opinions on them ? Even salopettes in general ?

    Thanks

    Rob.

  2. Rob G said:

    Similarly I wondering about the salopettes that Keela sell - any
    opinions on them ? Even salopettes in general ?

    Salopettes in general come *hugely* recommended for winter use. I find
    they make a very big difference to warmth, partly never having a cold
    bit just over your breeks as your rucksack separates your clothing for
    you at the waist, but also just the difference an extra layer around the
    base of the trunk makes.
    Back when I did winter climbing I'd always use them, and now they're
    Weapon Of Choice for skiing (both downhill and serious touring, though
    they're a bit OTT for light XC track).

    Don't know about the Keela ones specifically. Ours are Powershield
    (picked up some MEC ones on a visit to Canada), which is very warm,
    practically windproof, pretty tough and stretchy. Never really seen
    much need for waterproof ones myself, always having preferred the
    soft-shell approach which will do the warmth thing better. If it's
    bucketing I just pull on "normal" waterproofs over the top.

    Primary gotcha is it makes a hunker-down type of toilet stop
    /considerably/ more involved. It's all very well having a [censored]-flap,
    but think it through and that's not the end of the story if you've got
    undies on! Aside from that there's extra weight and expense, but the
    comfort gains over a cold day are considerable IME. Wouldn't dream of
    wearing them outside of winter though, unless I was doing something like
    yachting in a gale (for which I can see lots of reasons for waterproof
    ones!).

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  3. Peter Clinch said:
    Rob G said:

    Similarly I wondering about the salopettes that Keela sell - any
    opinions on them ? Even salopettes in general ?

    Salopettes in general come *hugely* recommended for winter use. I find
    they make a very big difference to warmth, partly never having a cold
    bit just over your breeks as your rucksack separates your clothing for
    you at the waist, but also just the difference an extra layer around the
    base of the trunk makes.
    Back when I did winter climbing I'd always use them, and now they're
    Weapon Of Choice for skiing (both downhill and serious touring, though
    they're a bit OTT for light XC track).

    Don't know about the Keela ones specifically. Ours are Powershield
    (picked up some MEC ones on a visit to Canada), which is very warm,
    practically windproof, pretty tough and stretchy. Never really seen
    much need for waterproof ones myself, always having preferred the
    soft-shell approach which will do the warmth thing better. If it's
    bucketing I just pull on "normal" waterproofs over the top.

    Primary gotcha is it makes a hunker-down type of toilet stop
    /considerably/ more involved. It's all very well having a [censored]-flap,
    but think it through and that's not the end of the story if you've got
    undies on! Aside from that there's extra weight and expense, but the
    comfort gains over a cold day are considerable IME. Wouldn't dream of
    wearing them outside of winter though, unless I was doing something like
    yachting in a gale (for which I can see lots of reasons for waterproof
    ones!).

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

    Peter
    It turned out a friend of ours had a pair of the Keela ones, but has
    rather put me off in that he finds them too warm for walking and uses
    them only for skiing. The only time he's used them walking is when
    taking a party of children out as progres is so slow.

    I'll put up a new thread enquiring about recommendations for winter
    trousers.

    Rob

  4. Rob G said:

    It turned out a friend of ours had a pair of the Keela ones, but has
    rather put me off in that he finds them too warm for walking and uses
    them only for skiing. The only time he's used them walking is when
    taking a party of children out as progres is so slow.

    I'll put up a new thread enquiring about recommendations for winter
    trousers.

    Kinda depends what they're made from, of course. A pair of ME's
    Powerfleece ones is a rather different proposition to a pair of
    Buffalo pertex/pile ones, for example. Select the correct material
    and you have the right degree of insulation with no unintentional
    venting as your pack rucks up your shirt

    Our Powershield ones are very much for proper winter conditions,
    but we use them for ski touring with full packs which certainly
    isn't something you'd wwant to do in gear strictly for standing
    about in the cold.

    If you want a winter walking trouser rather than sloppets I'd say
    you can do a great deal worse then one of the various pairs of
    Schoeller Dryskin (or similar) ones. I use ME Liskamms, IIRC
    others here have Mammut Base Jump pants and like them. The
    material is warm, tough, relatively windproof, very breathable and
    stretchy for freedom of movement, and they deal with driech pretty
    well (especially the ones with a nanosphere treatment). Roos has
    some Patagonia Guide trousers which seem a little thicker, but are
    otherwise a similar concept. There are various other
    Schoeller-a-like fabrics about but I don't know how they stack up
    as regards their exact various performance characteristics. Most
    of them are cheaper though! Powershield is a similar but quite a
    bit more serious as regards warmth and weight. I'd prefer it, and
    in sloppet form, for sub zero with high wind, but for a typical
    coldish/dampish/breezyish day the Dryskin would be more my weapon
    of choice.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  5. Peter Clinch said:
    Rob G said:

    It turned out a friend of ours had a pair of the Keela ones, but has
    rather put me off in that he finds them too warm for walking and uses
    them only for skiing. The only time he's used them walking is when
    taking a party of children out as progres is so slow.

    Quoted message said:

    I'll put up a new thread enquiring about recommendations for winter
    trousers.

    Kinda depends what they're made from, of course. A pair of ME's
    Powerfleece ones is a rather different proposition to a pair of
    Buffalo pertex/pile ones, for example. Select the correct material
    and you have the right degree of insulation with no unintentional
    venting as your pack rucks up your shirt

    Our Powershield ones are very much for proper winter conditions,
    but we use them for ski touring with full packs which certainly
    isn't something you'd wwant to do in gear strictly for standing
    about in the cold.

    If you want a winter walking trouser rather than sloppets I'd say
    you can do a great deal worse then one of the various pairs of
    Schoeller Dryskin (or similar) ones. I use ME Liskamms, IIRC
    others here have Mammut Base Jump pants and like them. The
    material is warm, tough, relatively windproof, very breathable and
    stretchy for freedom of movement, and they deal with driech pretty
    well (especially the ones with a nanosphere treatment). Roos has
    some Patagonia Guide trousers which seem a little thicker, but are
    otherwise a similar concept. There are various other
    Schoeller-a-like fabrics about but I don't know how they stack up
    as regards their exact various performance characteristics. Most
    of them are cheaper though! Powershield is a similar but quite a
    bit more serious as regards warmth and weight. I'd prefer it, and
    in sloppet form, for sub zero with high wind, but for a typical
    coldish/dampish/breezyish day the Dryskin would be more my weapon
    of choice.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

    Thanks Pete.

    Rob

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.