Lightweight Racers?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by [email protected], Sep 20, 2005.

  1. Have any good lightweight (under 5.5 oz) racers come out since
    they discontinued the NB RC150's? I have tried the Nike Mayflies,
    but I dont like the way they fit my foot. Any info would be
    appreciated.

    Larry

    Tags:

  2. On 20 Sep 2005 14:39:35 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

    >Have any good lightweight (under 5.5 oz) racers come out since
    >they discontinued the NB RC150's? I have tried the Nike Mayflies,
    >but I dont like the way they fit my foot. Any info would be
    >appreciated.

    Asics 2000 series.
    TBR

    White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
    "Anyone with degrees from Yale and Harvard is presumed to be intelligent,
    but George W. Bush has managed to overcome that presumption."

  3. [email protected] wrote:
    > Have any good lightweight (under 5.5 oz) racers come out since
    > they discontinued the NB RC150's?

    That's an awfully stringent weight requirement for shoes of recent
    vintage. What did the RC150 weight - surely not much less than that?

    Brooks T4 may be about the lightest flats currently sold, and google
    sez they're 5.9 oz.

    I enjoyed tremendously Nike's Air Streak Ekiden, but AFAICT they've not
    been available from American retailers for the better part of a year
    and last I googled only a few sizes were available from stores in
    England. And I think they're about an ounce heavier than your line in
    the sand anyway. One of the dumbest things I've done in my (2.5 year
    thus far) running life is failing to buy dozens of pairs of them when
    Eastbay sold them for $20 per.

    The "Nike Air Streak Vengeance IV" with which I've more or less
    replaced my sole pair are not as satisfying, in addition to the
    embarassing name.

    You usedta post here some time ago, no? Fan of really minimal shoes,
    right, but clearly you've stopped somewhere short of full-time barefoot.

  4. Charlie Pendejo <[email protected]> writes:
    : [email protected] wrote:
    :> Have any good lightweight (under 5.5 oz) racers come out since
    :> they discontinued the NB RC150's?

    : That's an awfully stringent weight requirement for shoes of recent
    : vintage. What did the RC150 weight - surely not much less than that?

    The RC150s were 5.6 oz, and they felt quite qood on my feet.`

    : Brooks T4 may be about the lightest flats currently sold, and google
    : sez they're 5.9 oz.

    The Nike Mayflys are under 5 oz, but as I said, I don't like the feel.

    : You usedta post here some time ago, no? Fan of really minimal shoes,
    : right, but clearly you've stopped somewhere short of full-time barefoot.

    I do still run barefoot some, but my barefoot mileage has cut back as
    a percentage of my total miles. In 2004 it was about 1/3 of my total
    distance. In 2005 only about 15% of my miles are barefoot.

    Larry

  5. Charlie Pendejo <[email protected]> writes:

    : Brooks T4 may be about the lightest flats currently sold, and google
    : sez they're 5.9 oz.

    I have a pair of T3's from a couple of years ago.

    1. They are pretty heavy. In the high 6's.
    2. They are less comfortable than the NB's or Asics.

    Larry

  6. cp, i think the t4 has been replaced by the t5. i did buy 3 pairs of
    the ekiden shoe from eastbay a couple years ago...the yellow ones
    right? i liked the shoe a lot in fact...ran very narrow but i liked
    the shoe

    nike's got a brand new flat out...the kantana...it's over at eastbay.
    first $100 flat i know of. the nb rc150 is the definitive all-time
    classic flat. discontinued in nov. of '03 i know people that searched
    the country to buy up remaining stocks. i still have a pair that i was
    actually thinking of racing in this weekend...but their well past their
    time.

    gonna go with NB 240s (the next best thing).

  7. On 20 Sep 2005 14:26:43 -0700, "Charlie Pendejo" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Brooks T4 may be about the lightest flats currently sold, and google
    >sez they're 5.9 oz.
    >
    >I enjoyed tremendously Nike's Air Streak Ekiden, but AFAICT they've not
    >been available from American retailers for the better part of a year
    >and last I googled only a few sizes were available from stores in
    >England. And I think they're about an ounce heavier than your line in
    >the sand anyway. One of the dumbest things I've done in my (2.5 year
    >thus far) running life is failing to buy dozens of pairs of them when
    >Eastbay sold them for $20 per.
    >
    >The "Nike Air Streak Vengeance IV" with which I've more or less
    >replaced my sole pair are not as satisfying, in addition to the
    >embarassing name.
    >
    >You usedta post here some time ago, no? Fan of really minimal shoes,
    >right, but clearly you've stopped somewhere short of full-time barefoot.

    Brooks have a long history of being short life shoes. This is well
    known, and well documented.
    Nikes are overpriced junk. You pay AT LEAST 30% more for the
    advertising budget, and they are well known for QC defects. Recent
    studys show they cause more running injuries than any other brand on
    the market today.
    Charlie is a dumb spic, who knows nothing about running.

  8. On 20 Sep 2005 17:21:43 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

    >first $100 flat i know of.

    Leave it to Nike to be the first to rip you off on flats, then Lance
    to brag about how stupid he is for buying it.
    TBR

    White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
    "Anyone with degrees from Yale and Harvard is presumed to be intelligent,
    but George W. Bush has managed to overcome that presumption."

  9. chief troll. i've never paid more than $60 for a pair of shoes...and
    that includes freaking crap like Bostonians that I sometimes have to
    wear from time to time.

    is there any evidence that you actually run at all? i think not.

  10. On 20 Sep 2005 19:17:32 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

    >chief troll. i've never paid more than $60 for a pair of shoes...and
    >that includes freaking crap like Bostonians that I sometimes have to
    >wear from time to time.

    You are a liar.

    >is there any evidence that you actually run at all? i think not.

    Come on over, you can sniff the crotch of my running shorts.
    TBR

    White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
    "Anyone with degrees from Yale and Harvard is presumed to be intelligent,
    but George W. Bush has managed to overcome that presumption."

  11. On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 22:27:45 -0400, The Bill Rodgers
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Come on over, you can sniff the crotch of my running shorts.

    But if it gets you too excited, you'll have to find a male prostitute.
    TBR

    White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
    "Anyone with degrees from Yale and Harvard is presumed to be intelligent,
    but George W. Bush has managed to overcome that presumption."

  12. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    "The Bill Rodgers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On 20 Sep 2005 14:39:35 -0600, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >>Have any good lightweight (under 5.5 oz) racers come out since
    >>they discontinued the NB RC150's? I have tried the Nike Mayflies,
    >>but I dont like the way they fit my foot. Any info would be
    >>appreciated.

    > Asics 2000 series.

    Yo gelding, he's looking for a light weight racer not a bloody brogan.

    -DF

  13. On 2005-09-20, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Have any good lightweight (under 5.5 oz) racers come out since
    > they discontinued the NB RC150's? I have tried the Nike Mayflies,
    > but I dont like the way they fit my foot. Any info would be
    > appreciated.

    First, you may like them more if you size up -- Nikes run really small. I'm
    a 10 in most trainers. A 10.5 is snug in my Nike flats, and I wear an 11.5 in
    my Nike cross country shoes.

    Anyway, the following are the lightest on the market and to my knowledge the
    only shoes besides the mayfly in the sub 6oz range:

    Brooks T4 (different fit to the nikes, but very curvy. May be worth a try).
    Nike Zoom Streak XC (I race in these)
    Nike Air Streak Vapor (actually, these have been around for a while)

    If you're looking for something really minimal to train in (as opposed to a
    light shoe for performance racing), maybe look at the Nike Waffle racers
    (warning: these run really small! Try them on.) These are heavier than the
    light flats (about 7oz) because of the durable outsole, but they do have a
    lower profile, and feel like less shoe. I consider them more "minimal" than
    my 5.5oz Nike flats (so much so that I won't run on the road in them). They
    are built much like a track spike (indeed, they're a spikeless version of
    their XC spike shoe)

    Also worth a look: Adidas Cubato, NB 950.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  14. On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 03:41:18 GMT, "Doug Freese" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Yo gelding, he's looking for a light weight racer not a bloody brogan.

    Asics 2000 series weigh in at 5ozs.
    TBR

    White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
    "Anyone with degrees from Yale and Harvard is presumed to be intelligent,
    but George W. Bush has managed to overcome that presumption."

  15. On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 04:53:25 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Nike Zoom Streak XC (I race in these)
    >Nike Air Streak Vapor

    Loser.

  16. [email protected] wrote:
    > Have any good lightweight (under 5.5 oz) racers come out since
    > they discontinued the NB RC150's? I have tried the Nike Mayflies,
    > but I dont like the way they fit my foot. Any info would be
    > appreciated.

    I've recently bought a pair of Adidas Adistar Competition. Very nice
    shoes.

    Edward

  17. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    "The Bill Rodgers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 03:41:18 GMT, "Doug Freese" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Yo gelding, he's looking for a light weight racer not a bloody brogan.

    > Asics 2000 series weigh in at 5ozs.

    Troll alert!!

    The you must know of a model thast has yet to ship. The 2100 which is
    the latest of the 2000 series weighs in at 12 oz. I see you are
    numerically challenged. The lightest Asics shoe I can find on their web
    page is the Magic at 7.0.

    Sooo, which model do you think weighs 5 Oz?

    -DF

  18. Doug Freese wrote:
    > The lightest Asics shoe I can find on their web
    > page is the Magic at 7.0.

    And as Donovan and I have both found, it's really considerably heavier:
    that published number is more fictitious than usual for running shoes.
    More like 8.5 - 9 oz IIRC, for my size 8.5.

  19. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    "Charlie Pendejo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Doug Freese wrote:
    >> The lightest Asics shoe I can find on their web
    >> page is the Magic at 7.0.

    > And as Donovan and I have both found, it's really considerably
    > heavier:
    > that published number is more fictitious than usual for running shoes.
    > More like 8.5 - 9 oz IIRC, for my size 8.5.

    I'm waiting to find out that gas stations, albeit under some alleged
    frequent verification system, has been shorting us for years. Call it a
    hunch.

    -DF

  20. On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:31:17 GMT, "Doug Freese" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >The you must know of a model thast has yet to ship. The 2100 which is
    >the latest of the 2000 series weighs in at 12 oz. I see you are
    >numerically challenged. The lightest Asics shoe I can find on their web
    >page is the Magic at 7.0.

    You are a poor websearcher then. They list it at 5 oz on their
    website.