Lightweight Rear Rack For 700C Road Bike?

Steve Sr.

Guest
Hello,

I am looking for a lightweight aluminum or stainless bike rack fhat
will fit the rear of a road bike with 700c tires. I am only looking
for something to put a rear luggage trunk on it - no panniers. The
bike frame does have braze-ons both top and bottom.

From previous posts I have looked at Tubus. They are expensive and
overkill for my purposes..

I have also looked at Old Man Mountain. Again they seem to be overkill
and mostly devoted to racks for suspension bikes.

Blackburn has limited choices. The expedition rack is overkill. The
mountain rack looks like it would be closest but I don't think it
would fit a 700c tire.

Have I missed anything? Do any of you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

In rec.bicycles.misc Steve Sr. <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for a lightweight aluminum or stainless bike rack fhat
> will fit the rear of a road bike with 700c tires. I am only looking
> for something to put a rear luggage trunk on it - no panniers. The
> bike frame does have braze-ons both top and bottom.
>
> Have I missed anything? Do any of you have any other suggestions?

Skip the rack altogether. A Carradice SQR rack is lighter than a
rack + bag combination. It's easier to pop on and off. Easier to
swap between bikes. Depending on what you get, it may carry more
also. Additionally, you can buy a harness to make it into a backpack
off the bike.

By virtue of it's position behind the saddle, it's in your rain and
wind shadow. The material is extremely water resistant. I live
in Seattle and bike all year round, and I have not had problems with
things getting wet.

I've had mine for about a year now and I love it... Did that sound
like a used car commercial to everyone else?

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/bags/sqr-products.htm

I have the touring model, which has been good for carrying lunch,
clothes, tools, laptop, library books, bike parts, wallet contents,
take out from chinese restaurants, etc.

One of my co-workers has just bought the slim version, which fits
his laptop and what-not better (he needs to take his back and forth
more often than I do). He previously used panniers, and he finds
the SQR much better because he can just pop it off the bike in about
two seconds and carry it into the kitchen to load it up. Another
three seconds to reattach and he can go.

I previously used a rack + trunk bags (for about two years), so I am
familar with them.

--
Dane Buson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"Linux poses a real challenge for those with a taste for late-night

In article <[email protected]>,
Steve Sr. <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am looking for a lightweight aluminum or stainless bike rack fhat
> will fit the rear of a road bike with 700c tires. I am only looking
> for something to put a rear luggage trunk on it - no panniers. The
> bike frame does have braze-ons both top and bottom.
>
> From previous posts I have looked at Tubus. They are expensive and
> overkill for my purposes..
>
> I have also looked at Old Man Mountain. Again they seem to be overkill
> and mostly devoted to racks for suspension bikes.
>
> Blackburn has limited choices. The expedition rack is overkill. The
> mountain rack looks like it would be closest but I don't think it
> would fit a 700c tire.
>
> Have I missed anything? Do any of you have any other suggestions?

Yes, the Blackburn Expedition is not overkill. Get it, and
never worry again. I have one that is fifteen years old;
it looks and functions like new. I bought another recently
to put on another road bicycle. It is one of those
non-pariel articles that is worth having for its own sake.
~ 675 gram.

--
Michael Press

"Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Steve Sr. <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am looking for a lightweight aluminum or stainless bike rack fhat
> > will fit the rear of a road bike with 700c tires. I am only looking
> > for something to put a rear luggage trunk on it - no panniers. The
> > bike frame does have braze-ons both top and bottom.

One rack you need to look at is made by Bruce Gordon, right here in the
"Good old USofA"! Bruce's racks are arguably one of the best available:

http://www.bgcycles.com/racks.html

He also offers carbon ones too:

http://www.bgcycles.com/news.html

Finally, don't forget to look at the factory tour:

http://www.bgcycles.com/factory.html

Michael Press wrote:

> Yes, the Blackburn Expedition is not overkill. Get it, and
> never worry again. I have one that is fifteen years old;
> it looks and functions like new. I bought another recently
> to put on another road bicycle. It is one of those
> non-pariel articles that is worth having for its own sake.
> ~ 675 gram.

I agree. I have a 20 year old Expedition rack.

"SMS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Michael Press wrote:
>
>> Yes, the Blackburn Expedition is not overkill. Get it, and never worry
>> again. I have one that is fifteen years old; it looks and functions like
>> new. I bought another recently to put on another road bicycle. It is one
>> of those non-pariel articles that is worth having for its own sake. ~ 675
>> gram.

> I agree. I have a 20 year old Expedition rack.

I agree -- I have just fitted out my new bike with it as I did with my last
one. Rock solid even under a fully camping load.

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Steve Sr. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for a lightweight aluminum or stainless bike rack fhat
> will fit the rear of a road bike with 700c tires. I am only looking
> for something to put a rear luggage trunk on it - no panniers. The
> bike frame does have braze-ons both top and bottom.
>
> From previous posts I have looked at Tubus. They are expensive and
> overkill for my purposes..
>
> I have also looked at Old Man Mountain. Again they seem to be overkill
> and mostly devoted to racks for suspension bikes.
>
> Blackburn has limited choices. The expedition rack is overkill. The
> mountain rack looks like it would be closest but I don't think it
> would fit a 700c tire.
>
> Have I missed anything? Do any of you have any other suggestions?

Look at Nashbar, lots of racks for under $20.

Try the TorTec Ultralite Rear Rack at 25 pounds in the UK.
Have alook at http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ in the racks section

SW

"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Steve Sr. wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am looking for a lightweight aluminum or stainless bike rack fhat
>> will fit the rear of a road bike with 700c tires. I am only looking
>> for something to put a rear luggage trunk on it - no panniers. The
>> bike frame does have braze-ons both top and bottom.
>>
>> From previous posts I have looked at Tubus. They are expensive and
>> overkill for my purposes..
>>
>> I have also looked at Old Man Mountain. Again they seem to be overkill
>> and mostly devoted to racks for suspension bikes.
>>
>> Blackburn has limited choices. The expedition rack is overkill. The
>> mountain rack looks like it would be closest but I don't think it
>> would fit a 700c tire.
>>
>> Have I missed anything? Do any of you have any other suggestions?

> Look at Nashbar, lots of racks for under $20.

> Yes, my mistake, carbonfiber fenders only!

Darn! Not that I need a rear rack, but if I did... But $325 for carbon
fenders seems just a bit spendy for me.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I am looking for a lightweight aluminum or stainless bike rack fhat
> >> will fit the rear of a road bike with 700c tires. I am only looking
> >> for something to put a rear luggage trunk on it - no panniers. The
> >> bike frame does have braze-ons both top and bottom.
> >>
> >> From previous posts I have looked at Tubus. They are expensive and
> >> overkill for my purposes..
> >>
> >> I have also looked at Old Man Mountain. Again they seem to be overkill
> >> and mostly devoted to racks for suspension bikes.
> >>
> >> Blackburn has limited choices. The expedition rack is overkill. The
> >> mountain rack looks like it would be closest but I don't think it
> >> would fit a 700c tire.
> >>
> >> Have I missed anything? Do any of you have any other suggestions?

Choosing a rack depends solely on how much dynamic "WEIGHT" are you
planning to carry. Cheap racks are designed solely for commuting and
light touring. Their 2 piece welded stays with the rather slim thin
flimsy seatstays mounting points will eventually break under hard use.

If you don't have far to commute and are not carrying anything heavier
than 10-15lbs, then a really cheap chinese made Blackburn imitation
will do.

David.

Steve Sr. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for a lightweight aluminum or stainless bike rack fhat
> will fit the rear of a road bike with 700c tires. I am only looking
> for something to put a rear luggage trunk on it - no panniers. The
> bike frame does have braze-ons both top and bottom.

Well, you did indicate light weight - have you considered a seatpost
rack? Don't know how much you need to carry; I researched this a while
back, my need was for randonneuring. The Moots titanium TailGator was
the lightest rack I found but has a 5 lb carry limit.

( http://www.moots.com/ticomp-tailgator.php )

Alan

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 21:19:22 -0500, Steve Sr. <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am looking for a lightweight aluminum or stainless bike rack fhat
>will fit the rear of a road bike with 700c tires. I am only looking
>for something to put a rear luggage trunk on it - no panniers. The
>bike frame does have braze-ons both top and bottom.
>
>From previous posts I have looked at Tubus. They are expensive and
>overkill for my purposes..
>
>I have also looked at Old Man Mountain. Again they seem to be overkill
>and mostly devoted to racks for suspension bikes.
>
>Blackburn has limited choices. The expedition rack is overkill. The
>mountain rack looks like it would be closest but I don't think it
>would fit a 700c tire.
>
>Have I missed anything? Do any of you have any other suggestions?
>

>Thanks,
>
>Steve

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Since I already have a Jandd rear
rack trunk I think I'll stick with a standard rear rack. The Carradice
and Moots approaches look intriguing but doesn't leave any place to
mount a rear light. This also leads to the Blackburn's weakness. There
is no way to mount a reflector/blinkie without making some kind of
bracket.

As one poster mentioned the reason I am doing this is to allow a place
to carry things for brevets on my otherwise regular road bike.

What really loks like the best option is the TorTec Ultralight. It has
a place for a blinkie and is very light weight. Does anyone know if
these are available in the States?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Sr. wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 21:19:22 -0500, Steve Sr. <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I am looking for a lightweight aluminum or stainless bike rack fhat
> >will fit the rear of a road bike with 700c tires. I am only looking
> >for something to put a rear luggage trunk on it - no panniers. The
> >bike frame does have braze-ons both top and bottom.
> >
> >From previous posts I have looked at Tubus. They are expensive and
> >overkill for my purposes..
> >
> >I have also looked at Old Man Mountain. Again they seem to be overkill
> >and mostly devoted to racks for suspension bikes.
> >
> >Blackburn has limited choices. The expedition rack is overkill. The
> >mountain rack looks like it would be closest but I don't think it
> >would fit a 700c tire.
> >
> >Have I missed anything? Do any of you have any other suggestions?
> >

> >Thanks,
> >
> >Steve
> >

> Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Since I already have a Jandd rear
> rack trunk I think I'll stick with a standard rear rack. The Carradice
> and Moots approaches look intriguing but doesn't leave any place to
> mount a rear light. This also leads to the Blackburn's weakness. There
> is no way to mount a reflector/blinkie without making some kind of
> bracket.
>
> As one poster mentioned the reason I am doing this is to allow a place
> to carry things for brevets on my otherwise regular road bike.

For brevets last year I bought an Ascent $15 rack from Nashbar. Used 4
P-clips to mount it to the seatstays. Very solid. It had a bracket
for mounting a rear blinkie light. But I also put one on the back of
the rack bag. And one on each seatstay down by the hub. After the
brevets were over, the rack easily came off.