Lightweight Rims?

otherworld

Feb 5, 2004
I've got a pair of 28 hole HF Record hubs with Mavic Mach 2 CD 2 tubular rims that I'm thinking of rebuilding with something lighter than the Mach 2s.

I'm thinking Velocity Escape Ambrosio Crono and other sub 400g rims and maybe even Aerohead clinchers / lighter spokes, c-xray DT Revo etc.

Any other ideas would be welcome and also whether or not you think 28h Cronos and the like are too light for an 87kg rider on a good concrete track.

Thanks Jay.

on track, as you are not fighting gravity, weight is not much of an issue (look at the weight of a BT frame). the mavic rims you already have are stiff and strong, and therefore good for track. think about the difference a couple of hundred grams makes to performance compared to loss of rigidity

otherworld said:
I've got a pair of 28 hole HF Record hubs with Mavic Mach 2 CD 2 tubular rims that I'm thinking of rebuilding with something lighter than the Mach 2s.

I'm thinking Velocity Escape Ambrosio Crono and other sub 400g rims and maybe even Aerohead clinchers / lighter spokes, c-xray DT Revo etc.

Any other ideas would be welcome and also whether or not you think 28h Cronos and the like are too light for an 87kg rider on a good concrete track.

Thanks Jay.
I remember an old teammate of mine, about you same size. He wanted lighter, went with 32h Saavadra's. Hitting turn 3 at the end of a race they collapsed under him as the pack was hitting near top speed, taking out about 1/2 of the pack. He spent a couple of nights in the hospital with 2 other guys who were T-boned sliding down the banking.

That said, the rims you mention are a bit stronger, but you can't win the race if you don't make it to the finish line!