Lightweight trekking/tourer for 11-year old

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Clyde Ingram, Mar 21, 2005.

  1. Clyde Ingram

    Clyde Ingram Guest

    Can anyone recommend a good lightweight cycle for touring and trekking for a
    boy of height 60 inches, inside leg 29".

    Mountain bike bars
    27 gears
    V-brakes
    Essential touring accessories preferred (lights, muduards, racks)

    I know that the UK market for bikes for younger/shorter children is a waste
    of time.
    Hopefully, by this height/age, the market is starting to be practicable.

    Or am I still forced to buy from the continent?

    Thanks for recommendations,
    Clyde

    Tags:

  2. Bill Scarab

    Bill Scarab Guest

    Clyde Ingram wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a good lightweight cycle for touring and trekking for a
    > boy of height 60 inches, inside leg 29".
    >
    > Mountain bike bars
    > 27 gears
    > V-brakes
    > Essential touring accessories preferred (lights, muduards, racks)
    >
    > I know that the UK market for bikes for younger/shorter children is a waste
    > of time.
    > Hopefully, by this height/age, the market is starting to be practicable.
    >
    > Or am I still forced to buy from the continent?
    >
    > Thanks for recommendations,
    > Clyde

    Well I'm an adult with a 29" inside leg and I'm only six inches taller
    so I would have thought any of the smaller framed adult bikes would be
    alright from a standover point of view and probably not too much of a
    stretch to the bars. Alternatively lots of companies make bikes for
    older kids, mostly mountain bikes however, although Dawes for instance
    make a 24" wheel discovery 201 with flat bars which may be suitable.

    regards
    Bill

  3. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Clyde Ingram wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a good lightweight cycle for touring and trekking for a
    > boy of height 60 inches, inside leg 29".
    >
    > Mountain bike bars
    > 27 gears
    > V-brakes
    > Essential touring accessories preferred (lights, muduards, racks)

    Lightweight rigid MTB or hybrid will be readily available, relatively
    cheap, and fit the bill just fine.

    > I know that the UK market for bikes for younger/shorter children is a waste
    > of time.
    > Hopefully, by this height/age, the market is starting to be practicable.

    I have a 29" inside leg and have little problem finding good quality
    kit. You may have to be careful about reach though. I am just under 5'6"
    with a fairly long reach (short legs, long body)..

    Test riding is the key to getting thr right fit, though with Ahead front
    the youngster grows up.

    ...d

  4. Steph Peters

    Steph Peters Guest

    "Clyde Ingram"
    <[email protected]o.uk> of
    NTL wrote:

    >Can anyone recommend a good lightweight cycle for touring and trekking for a
    >boy of height 60 inches, inside leg 29".
    >
    >Mountain bike bars
    >27 gears
    >V-brakes
    >Essential touring accessories preferred (lights, muduards, racks)
    >
    >I know that the UK market for bikes for younger/shorter children is a waste
    >of time.
    >Hopefully, by this height/age, the market is starting to be practicable.
    >
    >Or am I still forced to buy from the continent?

    I am a 61" and a smidge woman, with only a 25" inside leg. The smallest
    sizes of adult bike are small enough for me in some brands, but not in
    others. My problem is always standover height, due to my ridiculously short
    legs. Your boy has much longer legs so won't have that problem. I reckon
    that finding a fit for his legs from the adult range will not be hard. He
    is likely to end up with larger frame sizes than I do, which will also have
    longer reach, so look at the fit carefully to ensure that the reach is not
    too long.
    --
    No more things should be presumed to exist than are absolutely necessary.
    William of Occam