Lightweight, Wide ()2.2), Aggressive Tread MTB Tires

Hkek

Guest
I would like to try some wider MTB tires for freeriding and XC. I am currently using Panaracer
Fire XC Pro 2.1 inch with the Aramid (Kevlar) bead, 580 grams. My frame can take tires up to
around 2.6 inches.

I would like to see how the ride would be with something substantially wider, say around 2.4 inch
wide; however, I don't want heavy tires. I have seen a WTB WeirWolf Race 2.5 (55/62) that weighs in
at 730 grams. WTB also has a Mutano Raptor Race 2.4 (less aggressive tread it appears) weighing in
at 565 grams; however, they size it as 55/55 which is really only about a 2.16 inch width.

Can anyone suggest other lightweight, wide, aggresive tread tires (tube type) that I should
consider? -- Thanks!

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:

continental vertical pro

2.3, great grip on loose pack, long lasting, relatively light for this size at 590g kevlar.

jb

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

IRC Trail Bear Front/Rear Tire The classic Missile tread design combined with the latest
construction technology creates this ultimate trailbike/freeride tire. Directional knobs with enough
beef to hook up and track solidly through corners, smaller knobs in between add an extra barrier of
flat protection. Good DH training tire. Supple 66 tpi casing for comfort and performance. 26 x 2.25"
Kevlar bead. Black/Blackwall. 760g

"HKEK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]

> wide; however, I don't want heavy tires. I have seen a WTB WeirWolf Race 2.5 (55/62) that weighs
> in at 730 grams. WTB also has a Mutano Raptor Race 2.4 (less aggressive tread it appears) weighing
> in at 565 grams; however, they size it as 55/55 which is really only about a 2.16 inch width.
>
> Can anyone suggest other lightweight, wide, aggresive tread tires (tube type) that I should
> consider? -- Thanks!
>
> --
> rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or
> contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
> http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact

I back up the Vertical Pro's kind of expensive but last a long time.I went to Indianapolis In and a
lot of there trail ride's use these .Loose rock and some technical trail there.

--
J/O Trailblazer At large !!

--

On 8 Oct 2003 02:15:00 GMT, [email protected] (HKEK) wrote:
>I would like to try some wider MTB tires for freeriding and XC. I am currently using Panaracer Fire
>XC Pro 2.1 inch with the Aramid (Kevlar) bead, 580 grams. My frame can take tires up to around 2.6
>inches. Can anyone suggest other lightweight, wide, aggresive tread tires (tube type) that I should
>consider? -- Thanks!

My Continental Traction 2.1 inch is, IIRC, somewhere in the 4?? gram range; I don't know if they
make it wider. It's moderately aggressive.
--
Rick Onanian

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

"HKEK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I would like to try some wider MTB tires for freeriding and XC. I am currently using Panaracer
> Fire XC Pro 2.1 inch with the Aramid (Kevlar) bead, 580 grams. My frame can take tires up to
> around 2.6 inches.
>
> I would like to see how the ride would be with something substantially wider, say around 2.4 inch
> wide; however, I don't want heavy tires. I have seen a WTB WeirWolf Race 2.5 (55/62) that weighs
> in at 730 grams. WTB also has a Mutano Raptor Race 2.4 (less aggressive tread it appears) weighing
> in at 565 grams; however, they size it as 55/55 which is really only about a 2.16 inch width.
>
> Can anyone suggest other lightweight, wide, aggresive tread tires (tube type) that I should
> consider? -- Thanks!
>
> --
> rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or
> contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
> http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

I run the Intense Cross Country System 4's and I'm very happy with them. They say they are a 2.25
but they seem bigger than my friend's 2.3's. They are high volume and a soft compound and they hook
up really well. They weigh 745 Grams which is pretty good for a tire of this size. When these wear
out I'll probably get more.

Matt

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

RE/
>WTB also has a Mutano Raptor Race 2.4 (less aggressive tread it appears) weighing in at 565 grams;
>however, they size it as 55/55 which is really only about a 2.16 inch width.

I know that's what the width really is; but they feel and look considerably wider.
--
PeteCresswell