General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Like wearing a bulls-eye

Started by Lorne · · Last activity · 3 posts · 923 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
13 September 2003
Last activity
13 September 2003
Original author
Lorne
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
923
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. We had another Saturday night snowfall which meant one thing - Sunday long run misery slugging
    through the sidewalks. Unfortunately, by the time I was out for my run, the trucks were sanding and
    clearing the streets, so you had most sidewalks with 4 to 6 inches of new snow, covered by a few
    layers of road slurry that was washed up from the streets as the graders swooped by.

    Sidewalks were impassable. So, it was an exercise of taking your life into your hands and
    heading out on the roads. Against traffic, with my yellow vest, to at least get some ability to
    run properly.

    I'm amazed - we're a small bedroom community, quiet Sunday morning (I was running at 8, Church isn't
    even until 10), limited traffic, but most who were out seemed offended I was on the road. Two lanes
    each way, and I'm at the outer edge and I still get the dirty looks (or the finger in one case) and
    yelling out the window to get on the sidewalk. These are people who are coming at me on a straight
    road with no one in front or behind them as far as you can see! They've probably had me in their
    sights for 45 seconds!

    More than once I worried about someone just deciding to edge into me because they were [censored] I
    was on their road. I was careful, always looking ahead, and when rounding corners where I couldn't
    be seen, I hugged the very edge and even walked in the mush to avoid the risk. Didn't matter.

    I'm not this mad when I'm a driver. Are you?
    --
    Lorne Sundby

  2. I use as a gauge of safety; If the driver side wheels are at least touching the center line, then
    I'm happy. The biggest issue ofor me to look out for is still drivers at an intersection to your
    running left and ahead of you and they are turning right. They DO NOT look to their right.

    "Ed Prochak" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    David said:

    Bear in mind though... that I do not generally endorse running on the road. I just feel that if
    the particular set of conditions is such that there is no difficulty or danger for the driver...
    then they were just getting irate for the sake of getting irate and maybe need to consider
    lightening up a bit 🙂

    If there were still Plows on the road though... I wouldn't have been out!!! The last thing you
    want to see coming towards you is a snow plow.

    Curious why you do not run on the road. I generally run on the road


    because

    Quoted message said:

    asphalt is softer than concrete and I plan on running for a long time. So


    even

    Quoted message said:

    thought the difference is slight, it is real. Trail running is better


    still,

    Quoted message said:

    but I'd have to drive to most trails and that kind of defeats the purpose.

    But Lorne's case is like what I'm facing right now in Ohio, snow covered sidewalks. Most of the
    roads I run are posted as 25MPH. Drivers have no


    reason

    Quoted message said:

    to be upset. (the fact that they do anyway if something we have to live


    with.)

    Quoted message said:

    FWIW, I encounter very few irate drivers.

    The drivers that scare me are the ones that 10feet from me suddenly veer


    away.

    Quoted message said:

    They obviously weren't paying attention until that last moment.

    And I'm curious why some drivers feel they have to cross the center line


    to

    Quoted message said:

    give enough room for a runner when they don't move that far when passing a parked car. I guess
    they get confused by a moving object.

    I've run with plows on the road and it is not that hard to avoid them. You


    can

    Quoted message said:

    see them well enough ahead to cross the street. If there is too much


    traffic

    Quoted message said:

    to cross the street, then find a way onto the sidewalk and wait for it to


    pass.

    Quoted message said:


    Enjoy the run.

    - Ed Prochak running: faqs.orgrunning faq family:
    web.magicinterface.com~collins
    --
    "Two roads diverged in a wood and I I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the
    difference." robert frost

  3. kjsperl said:

    I use as a gauge of safety; If the driver side wheels are at least touching the center line, then
    I'm happy. The biggest issue ofor me to look out for is still drivers at an intersection to your
    running left and ahead of you and they are turning right. They DO NOT look to their right.

    Yes, those folks are dangerous!

    --
    Ed Prochak running: faqs.orgrunning faq family:
    web.magicinterface.com~collins
    --
    "Two roads diverged in a wood and I I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the
    difference." robert frost

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.