lil' help

birdog3344

Nov 19, 2003
I recently bought a Giant Cypress and have had a few complaints. Please bare with me as i try to describe the problem. Recently, while at an out of town repair shop, the guy pointed out that there is rubber surrounding the handle bar at the point where it is held on to the clasp that attatches it to the frame. In other words, under the clamp that holds the bar, there is rubber around the bar, almost like a gasket. He showed me his Cypress' that didn't have this rubber and pointed to grooves that should hold the bar in place. I'm wondering why i was sold a bike that doesn't seem to be "as is" from the manufacturer. If anyone understood what i described, can you tell me if you think i was hosed on the sale, and what recourse i have, if any. Thanks alot.

Originally posted by birdog3344
I recently bought a Giant Cypress and have had a few complaints. Please bare with me as i try to describe the problem. Recently, while at an out of town repair shop, the guy pointed out that there is rubber surrounding the handle bar at the point where it is held on to the clasp that attatches it to the frame. In other words, under the clamp that holds the bar, there is rubber around the bar, almost like a gasket. He showed me his Cypress' that didn't have this rubber and pointed to grooves that should hold the bar in place. I'm wondering why i was sold a bike that doesn't seem to be "as is" from the manufacturer. If anyone understood what i described, can you tell me if you think i was hosed on the sale, and what recourse i have, if any. Thanks alot.

Hey Birdog,

Looks like a bodgie job.

My experience tells me I have never seen a new or old bike with a rubber gasket between the headset stem and the bars - always a solid and direct connection as you don't want the bars moving at all!

Your shop may have fitted a non genuine cheaper bar than that specified by manufacturer.

I would take the thing back after speaking to the manufacturer.

If it's really rubber, then there's something strange going on. But some bars (like Roox FPS-XC) has a bushing to spread the point load of the clamp and to reduce the risk of squeaks and corrosion. Considering that the specs of the bike that I managed to pull up said it should be a steel bar it really looks a bit strange. You might have a more expensive bar....

Why don't you just take it back to the dealer and ask?

Originally posted by flynn [/i

Your shop may have fitted a non genuine cheaper bar than that specified by manufacturer.

Yeah, I bet shops just make a bundle doing that, especially considering it's a cheap bar with little or no value to begin with.

Hmmm, not sure I'm ready to bare with you, I barely know you... but I would go back & ask where I got it from. Just curious, what are the complaints you have about it?